New HBa1c Result...Not good.

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Guys

Just had my new blood results and it has thrown up a few red flags. I have obviously got carried away with the whole High Fat part of my diet.

My A1C is 37 so up 2 points not too bad.
My Lipid panel in April was
Cholestrol 5.5
HDL 4.1
LDL 1.28
TriG's 1.01
HDL to TriG ratio: .246

My new Cholestrol reads as follows:
Cholestrol 6.9
HDL 1.54
LDL 4.2
TriG's 2.45
HDL to TriG Ratio: 1.59

So an inverse of the HDL and LDL

My diet has changed 'slightly' in that period, I have started drinking Carte Noir Coffee with Two tsp whipped cream per cup. Maybe 4 cups per day.
My nighttime treat was 1 square of 81% Equadorian Dark Choc (Lidl). Sadly this crept up to 2/3 squares at night and then a few crept in during the day......really sneaky how these things can blind-side a person :)

I have been eating 4/5 small strawberries with 2 tsp whipped cream per day, once and sometimes twice a day.

I eat a few slices of Mature Cheddar from the Triangular Block (Lidl) on 2 Jacobs WheatSnap crackers once or twice a day.
and I normally have 2 Bacon Rashers grilled,1 Bratwurst Sausage (85% Pork) 1 grilled Tomato 1 egg fried and 2 Mushrooms once every 2 0r 3 days.
I eat red meat (a steak or 2 small Lidl quarter pounders) maybe twice a week.

I am a 63 Year old Male 5' 10" tall. I lost 4.5 St last year, i had risen to 16St 8lbs and i am currently 12St 2.lbs.

So I am not gaining weight, but am i eating way too much fat? Is there anything in there in particular that would push up the old Lipid Panel or is it just everything?
If so i have really misunderstood the whole high fat thing. My carbs are in or about 50-70 grms per day.

I would appreciated any views that might help me along.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Others will be along who know more about the ratios of LDL and HDL than me. Just want to ask are you testing 2 hours after eating to see how what eat is affecting your bg levels? You may find that the creep of 'treats' has started a rise in bg. I find that the prospect of testing more times every day makes me keep to 3 meals.

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Others will be along who know more about the ratios of LDL and HDL than me. Just want to ask are you testing 2 hours after eating to see how what eat is affecting your bg levels? You may find that the creep of 'treats' has started a rise in bg. I find that the prospect of testing more times every day makes me keep to 3 meals.
Hi Phoenix55 I havent been testing recently, but i did a fairly intense few months while dieting,where i was able to rule out lots of food items that were not for me. Then not long ago i did a stint with the Freestyle Libre which was very educational and i am going to give it another turn. But i have not tested much since i started the Dark chocolate,mostly when i get up in the morning and if i am testing a new meal. My A1C is up 2 points on last time so there might be something going on. I will test tomorrow when i am at home.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My A1C is 37 so up 2 points not too bad.
Cholestrol 5.5
HDL 4.1
LDL 1.28

TriG's 1.01
HDL to TriG ratio: .246

Any chance you have got the numbers I have marked in red the wrong way round?
LDL is usually higher than HDL, as is shown by your second set of numbers.

Thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@morpheus , it's a bit odd to invert those completely. Were you given your results over the phone, orr did you view then online in your medical record?

Either way, I'd want then checked (phone again, or ask that whoever input them hadn't made an error). If that fairls, I'd ask for another referendum test.

Well done maintaining the HbA1c though.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
(Diabetes 2 and heart attack)
After heart attack I avoid saturated fat.Practically, my only fats are nuts.
In a word, low carb diet does not mean we are allowed to eat fatty food.

Reactions: julie56

pyotrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See how you go when you just have breakfast - eggs anyway and bacon and evening meal - meat or fish with salad or veg. Forget the snacking!

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Any chance you have got the numbers I have marked in red the wrong way round?
LDL is usually higher than HDL, as is shown by your second set of numbers.

Thanks!
Hi Brunneria,the first set of figures i.e my last A1C of four months ago were written on a piece of paper by my GP and handed to me. I'm pretty sure that those are the figures that he read out to me from his PC screen. I will certainly ring and check those figures again. The second set of results i.e my A1C of a couple of weeks ago were printed from his PC as he reviewed them. So they are definitely the results that were emailed to him. But i will chat to him asap and let you know.

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@morpheus , it's a bit odd to invert those completely. Were you given your results over the phone, orr did you view then online in your medical record?

Either way, I'd want then checked (phone again, or ask that whoever input them hadn't made an error). If that fairls, I'd ask for another referendum test.

Well done maintaining the HbA1c though.
Hi and yes i will make it a priority and i will post my findings. How bad are the second set of results? They were printed from my GP's computer just after he received them.

Reactions: jacko1970s

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
(Diabetes 2 and heart attack)
After heart attack I avoid saturated fat.Practically, my only fats are nuts.
In a word, low carb diet does not mean we are allowed to eat fatty food.
Hi thank you for your reply. There seems to be a swing towards fatty foods as in cheese cream, bacon, rashers etc idicating that LCHF is the way to go so i am experimenting. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and yes i will make it a priority and i will post my findings. How bad are the second set of results? They were printed from my GP's computer just after he received them.

If they were printed from your GP's computer, I would ask him to ask for the sample to be retested. I understand some samples are retained for a short while.

I'm not a medic, so would be purely speculating on something I've never really seen before. They're just a bit odd. You might benefit from inputting your numbers here and reading round: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

If you look up Professor Ken Sikaris on YouTube you could also find some excellent information.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,the first set of figures i.e my last A1C of four months ago were written on a piece of paper by my GP and handed to me. I'm pretty sure that those are the figures that he read out to me from his PC screen. I will certainly ring and check those figures again. The second set of results i.e my A1C of a couple of weeks ago were printed from his PC as he reviewed them. So they are definitely the results that were emailed to him. But i will chat to him asap and let you know.

I was going to ask the same question @Brunneria asked. I am almost sure the LDL and HDL in your first test are the wrong way round. Very, very few people have HDL above 3. In fact on my lab reports the maximum desirable is 3. You can ask for a print out of this first test, just ring the receptionist and give her the date it was done.

Also, did you fast for the latest test? If not, the trigs figure will be higher as they will be out and about in your blood stream doing their job, especially after a fatty meal.

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello everybody and i am gobsmacked about my results. The earlier test that people here were extremely dubious about, was indeed the wrong way round. Those numbers were written on a post-it by my GP and handed to me. So i thought they looked good,really good and was thrilled. Goes to show how much my GP knows about this stuff!!!

So........ My earlier result should have read:

Cholestrol 5.5
HDL 1.28
LDL 4.1
TriG's 1.01

And as Bluetit rightly deduced,i did not fast for the most recent test,I just popped into the doctor's officice on spec,and the samples were taken. So my TriG's will be off here.

My new Cholestrol reads as follows:
Cholestrol 6.9
HDL 1.54
LDL 4.2
TriG's 2.45

So to get back to my original query,I would be very happy if somebody could tell me how good or bad those results are. I appreciate that i will have to wait for a new test to get accurate Triglycerides reading. I just need a rough idea if i am getting/gone to high.

I think the range for LDL is 0-2.6 and HDL 1.03-2.38

Thank you all for posting and being so patient.

Reactions: Prem51

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Also i have just noticed that on the Biochemistry Tests sheet that iwas given it shows my LDL as 'LDL Calculated' what does that mean?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact your HDL has risen is excellent.
The change in LDL is insignificant.
And the rise in Trigs is irrelevent.

:D Great outcome, I would say! (But I’m not a medical professional)

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Also i have just noticed that on the Biochemistry Tests sheet that iwas given it shows my LDL as 'LDL Calculated' what does that mean?
The fact your HDL has risen is excellent.
The change in LDL is insignificant.
And the rise in Trigs is irrelevent.

:D Great outcome, I would say! (But I’m not a medical professional)

Thank you Brunneria, at least i have not edged closer to the abyss :)
Might have a coffee with cream to celebrate :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It means what it says. It means your LDL was not measured but was estimated based on some formula they use after looking at the other lipids. I have no idea how they estimate it, but someone else probably may - or maybe you could Google (but make sure you use UK websites as the Americans have different measurement units.

https://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/tests/direct-ldl-cholesterol

Usually, the amount of LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) is calculated using the results of a standard . In most cases, this is a good estimate of the LDL-C, but it becomes less accurate with increased concentrations (greater than 4 mmol/L) Direct measurement of LDL-C is less affected by triglycerides and can be used when you are not fasting or when you have significantly elevated triglycerides.

Apparently the Friedwald formula is used as follows:

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20030114211535665170

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for your reply. There seems to be a swing towards fatty foods as in cheese cream, bacon, rashers etc idicating that LCHF is the way to go so i am experimenting. :)
My understanding is that the lower the carbs the higher the fat can go. It is important to remember that high fat + high carbs is a recipe for disaster. Jenny Ruhl mentions that some people come unstuck because they try LCHF but after a while raise their carb intake and forget to lower the fat to match.