Too much carb?

Mac75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've started going to the gym and have had a PT do me a diet as I'm trying to build muscle. I'm type 2 and my concern is there is a lot of carbs in it full packets of microwave rice 300g of white potato twice a day most days just wondered what others thought and has anyone successfully done this?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mac75 I afraid I can’t help you with your enquiry but notice you have posted in the Type 3c subforum. Would you like me to move it to either the Type 2 or the Fitness, Exercise and Sport sub-forum?

Mac75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mac75 I afraid I can’t help you with your enquiry but notice you have posted in the Type 3c subforum. Would you like me to move it to either the Type 2 or the Fitness, Exercise and Sport sub-forum?
Oh rite i hadn't realised lol move to the fitness forum if you think it would be better there

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started going to the gym and have had a PT do me a diet as I'm trying to build muscle. I'm type 2 and my concern is there is a lot of carbs in it full packets of microwave rice 300g of white potato twice a day most days just wondered what others thought and has anyone successfully done this?
Not a body builder by any stretch of the imagination but that way of eating would screw up my Type 2.
Does your PT know anything about T2 dietary treatment (I would think not).

Reactions: Ponchu

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously the PT doesn't have a clue about the best diet for you.
As a type two - presumably diet controlled, you are going to have very high blood glucose levels and feel terrible as a consequence. Potato is about 15 percent carbs - 300gm, 45gm of carb - twice a day - 90 gm, plus the carbs from any other foods - not at all a good idea.
Muscle is protein, I believe - so what good the carbs is intended to do you rather escapes me.

maxshinburn

you’re on the right path and doing a great thing looking for the proper diet to help build muscle. It’s a great way to keep a great a1c as a type one. But it seems that your trainer is uneducated when it comes to diabetes. That diet to me personally seems like a very bad idea for a diabetic. Your blood sugar level must be your first priority, before your training regimen regiment. And if you think you can maintain a great blood sugar level while on that diet, well, maybe it’s not that horrible. But I think you’ll im fact have a difficult time keeping a good blood sugar level eating while eating white potato and white rice. Maybe a good compromise, as one example, might be brown rice in a small portion , and sweet potato instead of white potato. But i would go one step further, eat a diet that’s a little more lower carb, higher in fat and protein. and you portions need to be controlled more than a regular body builder. also, don’t let him feed you protein shake or pre workout drinks and shakes - they are always pure sugar. You can work out, build muscle, be a type 1, and eat a low carb low sugar diet. Avoid the white flour products. Whole grains and vegetables are your best friends. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you see a difference between brown and white rice, sweet as opposed to ordinary potato or by eating carbs from whole grain then please post about them - for me there is little difference - with my simple tester it often seemed that the 'good' carbs were actually a worse choice as numbers stayed higher for longer.