i dont lose weight
how can i now at 53
when the time when i was a teen
i was exercising and active 2 to 4
hours a day and maintained my weight
when now i cant get near that level of activity
if that didnt make me lose
what will
I was told by my dietician that I was just one of those people who just had to accept that they were obese. I struggled with my weight until I discovered LCHF. I couldn't shed weight because I had insulin resistance, and became diabetic because of it. She kept upping my carb intake, while as a person on the fast track to diabetes, I couldn't proccess carbs. (See T2 as a kind of carb-intolerance). With Low Carb, High Fat I lost well over 50 pounds which I really needed to lose. When I plateau-ed I took it a step further with Keto. I currently only eat 20 grams of carbs a day, and I am still losing weight. Rheumatism prevents me from being really, really active, but what they say here is true: you can't outrun a bad diet. I'm into it all for 2 years now. Three months in I could stop taking diabetes medication and statins, and I kept losing weight. I am no longer morbidly obese or even obese, and my bloodsugars are in the non-diabetic range.

Start your day with eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes. Have a salad with tuna, mayo, capers, olives... Dinner just meat, fish and above-ground veggies. Skip bread, potatoes, rice, cereal, pasta, fruit (savw for berries). Snack on cheese, olives, nuts, extra dark chovolate. But do eat things you LIKE to eat, because if you hate your food, the diet won't last, and it'sc one that you'd have to follow for the long haul. Check Dietdoctor.com for meal ideas and more information.

I was told my situation was hopeless at 28, 29 years old, when all that happened was that the advice I got was bad. You CAN do this. It's not just me, many people here have done it. @Goonergal even made the papers with it. Check the success stories section... If all of them could do it, there's no reason why you can't.

There IS hope.
Hugs,
Jo

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
im becoming very sad
i want to become healthier
and lose weight
i dont want to die fat
but no matter what i try
i dont lose weight
how can i now at 53
what will

It's so frustrating. I really feel for you. I used to start diets on a Monday morning, couldn't get food off my mind, finished diet by Monday dinner. Until I discovered LCHF way of eating. Not a diet, a change in lifestyle. The weight dropped off. The high fat kept me fuller for longer hence I ate less and lost weight. It works for so many. Can I ask if you have tried it?

slaxxfb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, T1 here. I agree with the comments above. a diet change might be really good for you, if you aren't already practicing a good one. I personally recommend fasting (the 16:8 regimen, i'm not very keen on the other setups as might be too harsh for beginners), but since you are a T2 ask your doctor about it first, to see how you could incorporate it into a lifestyle. you have a very different treatment compared to mine.
also, if you have no problem walking, it would do you lots of good to just walk at least 30mins every day. if you want to start small you can do 30mins 3x/week, and go from there. this is really just for overall health, stronger heart (quite a necessity for your age), keep the blood flowing well. you might feel that it energizes you after a while.
another advice i am told by my doctor cousin is that, as much as possible, avoid lying down (if possible, stand or walk around) 30mins after a meal. it helps to avoid the "food baby" (large belly) ;)
small changes might mean lots of improvement, no need to be hard on yourself. we'll just be here listening :)

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with everyone with a caveat.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this past July 6th. I started the LCHF diet, and swimming every second day.

I didn't lose a single pound for the first two months, and even now it's slow going. All I hear is every saying, "The weight just fell off." Well, it's not falling off for me. Every pound is a struggle. Maybe there are just people like us whose bodies fight weight loss?

It's discouraging. I hear what you're saying.

Reactions: cdpm and kitedoc

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It is very difficult and I do sympathise greatly with you @cdpm
I also understand where you're coming from @neithskye.
I also tried lchf (50g ) for 18 months with an 1800 cal count and actually gained weight which was very disheartening and I gave up. During that time my hba1c halved, my bp and cholesterol reduced, and I felt so much better both physically and mentally. I have since concluded that I was probably eating too much dairy and a GP pointed out that insulin was also a culprit in weight gain (I had just started titrating onto insulin when doing lchf). Even so, I still believe a lchf diet is the way forward. Carbs are poison to us, and even after all this time, if I have too many carbs I feel ill.

I have started again, doing the Newcastle diet; it is a struggle and I must admit I haven't stuck to it religiously, but I am off insulin and have lost about 3 stone in 7 weeks.

Please don't give up, you just have to find the right path for you. And if you read any of the info on lchf or vlc diets, you don't have to do loads of exercise to lose weight.

I'm 56 btw.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What everyone else has said echoes for me too. I am 56 now and have dieted all my life right up to the point where I was edging towards 20st. Some of that was under the drs advice, some on my own. I've learnt that if I try to 'diet' I become obsessed with eating and my poison of choice is very carby. I think changes for me started when I did an online mindful eating course, which was unsuccessful in many ways, but got through to my head to not continually be guilty about eating and to give myself permission to eat what I chose to. Now that might sound like a bad idea, but it made me stop dieting, and strangely I began to lose weight.

Then I found this site and was introduced to the idea that I'm carb intolerant. I started a low carb lifestyle and slowly continued to lose weight. I'm not dieting. I'm eating things I like with the understanding that if I chose to eat carbs then I'm actively harming my health, like smoking. I'm not perfect. I do eat carbs, but I try for the most part to have many days where I eat nice things, that I regard as treats, but which are not carbs. I like bacon, cheese, pork scratchings, nuts, tuna, eggs. I have to watch the protein intake, but I try to keep a good eye on my blood sugars.

My aim is not dieting, but keeping my blood sugars in a good range. I have lost nearly 5 stone though, but very, very slowly - none of that massive low carb weight loss came my way! But hey, I'm not knocking this weight loss as it means I can now walk the dogs without a walking stick and with no pain.

So, I know it all makes you sad and being unhealthy is very depressing, but you can do this. You need to be kind to yourself, find low carb things you like to eat and talk to the very nice and knowledgeable folks on this website. Look at the threads in the low carb forum to get ideas for tasty meals. Maybe at the start think about posting a daily or weekly blog on here. You'll get lots of support.

Take care and best wishes. x

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly where you are coming from. We have several balls we have to juggle with this disease... blood sugar, weight, exercise, general health. Keeping them all in the air is tricky!
If you are on insulin - Carbs are the devils work. I went on to fast-acting a month ago, and because I was giving in to the hunger pangs a little too often, and whilst I was eating healthy I was taking in too many carbs, so I put on 14lbs in two weeks. This absolutely horrified me as I go to the gym 3 times a week for two hours a session.
I have cut the carbs over the last week and moved on to keto diet - and yesterday I didn't take any fast-acting insulin at all because my levels were 6 and below all day.

Don't beat yourself up about the struggling weight loss. If you are active and eating right, then you are on the right path.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
im becoming very sad
and lose weight
i dont want to die fat
but no matter what i try
i dont lose weight
how can i now at 53
what will
I've often had that thought niggle at me too but...... if you look around middle aged people are doing great COMFORTABLE exercise to keep them fit.
Exercise doesn't out run a bad diet. As you've found.
When I say bad diet, what I really mean is a bad diet... for you.
A strict diet short term with a great backup plan can get your enthusiasm back. When you eventually see those lbs going.
Unfortunately it is the long game we have to play with weight loss and its only when our bgs are right.
First get good long term bg control... then weight loss will follow.

Middle aged people are entitled to fun and fitness just as much as anyone else. Loads do dancing or swimming. For fun.
Find your fun activity and enjoy!!!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with all the advice given above. We've all struggled and felt helpless with whatever type of diabetes we have but you do have choices - you reached out to the forum so I am guessing you are looking for inspiration or did you just want sympathy? Food is the best way to change your weight. Being active will help your health and build muscle. Both things can make your body work better. Walking or swimming could also make you feel more positive about your own body.
When you were a teen you had energy to burn because your body worked well metabolically. It isn't that you are now lazy it is just that what you are eating now is causing your body to trap energy in fat cells rather than allow you to be metabolically healthy and release that trapped fat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cdpm - I'm going to be contrarian here, but I really , really wanted to say well done on getting to grips with yur binging, because for a time that was a really worry for you.

I don't know how long it's been since you've been binge-free, but maybe it could be an idea with give yourself a bit of space and clock up some more time without bingeing. Your body has been assaulted by the dysregulated eating; you never know, just the stability you are forming now could be enough fr your body to become a bit more accommodating when it comes to weight loss.

If you swing from big project to the next, I fear you may just be creating one rod after another with which to beat yourself.

Be kind to yourself; even if just for a few weeks.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@cdpm I totally agree with @DCUKMod steady influence on your body is definitely the key.
Also when I was running my bgs too low I was of very low mood. Could that be why you're feeling low, too?

Reactions: cdpm and Freema

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I dont want to die fat

There's step 1 ... DON'T. Self imposed blockades are rarely the answer. You don't need to stay strong, you first need to be strong.

Reactions: cdpm and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im becoming very sad
and lose weight
i dont want to die fat
but no matter what i try
i dont lose weight
how can i now at 53
what will

I only lost weight when I went 1000 calories , but building muscle is also a good idea then one do use more energy the whole Day long... unfortunately most eat more also when exercising more

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
thankyou everyone for the nice posts

Reactions: Prem51