Marathon runners ?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I've recently been accepted to take part in the London marathon. although, so far I've only ever gone as far as a half marathon.

do you have any tips to help with long distance running ? I find that my sugars always tended to take a dip around the 1hour 30 mark and not sure how I will cope in such a long run

thanks

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's great news, @Type1Bri completed it this year, so have tagged him for his input as he kept a detailed log of his type 1 journey running it ;)

Reactions: L3wisr

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Guys :)

Davie, how do you carry them? I have a little bum bag thing but don't find it comfortable running with. Might test out a few mini back packs

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Guys :)

Davie, how do you carry them? I have a little bum bag thing but don't find it comfortable running with. Might test out a few mini back packs
i use a one of those phone waist bands to carry them seems to work alright I would imagine you can get specific things to carry them in though

Reactions: Leeannea

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I run in cycling tops with the pockets at the back, mostly because that's what I had when I started and they've not died yet, but they do seem to work well for the bits I want to carry. For fell runs where I have to carry more, I'll use a bum bag though. (OMM).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done it twice and the 2nd time was on an insulin pump so I was able to reduce my % basal dose. Carried a small amount of glucose but there were also jelly baby stations at very regular intervals so check out what will be available at London.
As a low carber if I exercise now I don't seem to get massive drops (running on fat with much less insulin on board).
Re the gels, if you take that route do practice with them on your longer runs as they can upset your tummy!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve got a CamelBak which is really useful for carrying water, dextro tablets and my meter. I used to have a bum bag, but much prefer a CamelBak.

Through trial and error, I’ve found I need 6g glucose (2 dextro tablets) every 15 mins. I test every 30 and adjust the next dextro dose as required.

Gazzoh

I did London this year. It's amazing so enjoy! I use a flipbelt for phone, keys, meter and pump when running and keep some glucose tabs on me too for hypos etc. On the day of the race I took gels but didn't really need them as there were loads of drinks and gels on the course. Reducing basal an hour before works a treat for me and keeps things steady.

That said I've also gone low carb since so things are a lot more stable now