1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Marathon runners ?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by L3wisr, Oct 12, 2018.

1. L3wisr

L3wisr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've recently been accepted to take part in the London marathon. although, so far I've only ever gone as far as a half marathon.

do you have any tips to help with long distance running ? I find that my sugars always tended to take a dip around the 1hour 30 mark and not sure how I will cope in such a long run

thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Well-Known Member

sis energy gels work well for me and you can drink them while your running

• Like Like x 3
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

That's great news, @Type1Bri completed it this year, so have tagged him for his input as he kept a detailed log of his type 1 journey running it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. L3wisr

L3wisr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys :)

Davie, how do you carry them? I have a little bum bag thing but don't find it comfortable running with. Might test out a few mini back packs

5. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i use a one of those phone waist bands to carry them seems to work alright I would imagine you can get specific things to carry them in though

• Like Like x 1
  6. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I run in cycling tops with the pockets at the back, mostly because that's what I had when I started and they've not died yet, but they do seem to work well for the bits I want to carry. For fell runs where I have to carry more, I'll use a bum bag though. (OMM).

7. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've done it twice and the 2nd time was on an insulin pump so I was able to reduce my % basal dose. Carried a small amount of glucose but there were also jelly baby stations at very regular intervals so check out what will be available at London.
    As a low carber if I exercise now I don't seem to get massive drops (running on fat with much less insulin on board).
    Re the gels, if you take that route do practice with them on your longer runs as they can upset your tummy!

8. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve got a CamelBak which is really useful for carrying water, dextro tablets and my meter. I used to have a bum bag, but much prefer a CamelBak.

Through trial and error, I’ve found I need 6g glucose (2 dextro tablets) every 15 mins. I test every 30 and adjust the next dextro dose as required.

9. Gazzoh

Gazzoh · Newbie

I did London this year. It's amazing so enjoy! I use a flipbelt for phone, keys, meter and pump when running and keep some glucose tabs on me too for hypos etc. On the day of the race I took gels but didn't really need them as there were loads of drinks and gels on the course. Reducing basal an hour before works a treat for me and keeps things steady.

That said I've also gone low carb since so things are a lot more stable now

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook