blurry vision

ian1currie

Hi all , I am in the Process of Diagnose , I have been prescribed Metformin 500mg 1 a day for 1st week .
Tested my blood this morning when I woke up and it was 12.5 , then 2 hours after breakfast it showed 20.5 with ketones.
Still have slight blurry vision, hope it will go once under control.

Reactions: LeftPeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The blurry vision will go, but the 20.5 plus ketones is a good reason to contact health care right now.

Reactions: michita

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ian. I'm quite new myself, but learning! What did you have for breakfast?

From what I understand, blurred vision can improve once blood glucose levels are back to normal.

Reactions: ian1currie

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all , I am in the Process of Diagnose , I have been prescribed Metformin 500mg 1 a day for 1st week .
Tested my blood this morning when I woke up and it was 12.5 , then 2 hours after breakfast it showed 20.5 with ketones.
When you're just starting out, blurry vision is normal. Glucose was distorting your vision, and as your levels change and even out, it'll get better. Don't buy glasses for a while!

As for being high with ketones, that is cause for concern. What did you eat todat and yesterday? Are you feeling okay? Because you should probably get in touch with a professional and discuss it, sooner rather than later. Not to alarm you, but you don't want high bs and ketones at the same time.

D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the club.
In case you have not heard from her already, I will tag @daisy1 who has a great welcome message.

Take a look around the www.diabetes.co.uk. It is a great diabetes reference library and forum.
Use the Search functions and ask questions.

For example, if you search for ''blurred" you will see it is so common there are 22 pages of forum threads on the topic!

ian1currie

Hi Ian. I'm quite new myself, but learning! What did you have for breakfast?

From what I understand, blurred vision can improve once blood glucose levels are back to normal.
Thanks for your reply, for breakfast I eat a small bowl of rice krispies in rice milk . After lunch in which I had 2 slices of toast with marg and 2 scrambled eggs it was 17.7 with ketones.

ian1currie

When you're just starting out, blurry vision is normal. Glucose was distorting your vision, and as your levels change and even out, it'll get better. Don't buy glasses for a while!

As for being high with ketones, that is cause for concern. What did you eat todat and yesterday? Are you feeling okay? Because you should probably get in touch with a professional and discuss it, sooner rather than later. Not to alarm you, but you don't want high bs and ketones at the same time.
Thanks for your reply, I had high BS and Ketones when I went to see the nurse yesterday for my blood tests and to get an appointment to see the diabetes nurse ,which is next friday ,they just told me what to look out for regarding if I get worse, and she gave me the prescription for metformin, of which I am to take one a day for a week then 2 and then 3 in week 3.
I guess I shall have to wait for next Friday to receive more information.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply, for breakfast I eat a small bowl of rice krispies in rice milk . After lunch in which I had 2 slices of toast with marg and 2 scrambled eggs it was 17.7 with ketones.
As a diabetic you can't properly process carbs anymore. Rice crispies, rice milk, and toast will spike you something awful because they're all carb heavy, but you already noticed that. The eggs were a good choice though; no carbs there. You don't have to wait till next Friday to get more information, you can shoot off questions here all you like... We're not doctors, but we do rather know what we're on about. ;) Where are you getting the ketone readings from? Any idea how high they are?

As I said, you can't process carbs anymore... Either because of high insulin resistance, deminished insulin production, or a combination of those two. All carbs turn to glucose (sugar) once ingested, and if your insulin is impaired, it can't leave the bloodstream efficientlyagain. So that isn't just the obvious like sugar that's doing you harm, but also potatoes, cereal,(oats, muesli, crispies, special K, flakes etc), pasta, bread, corn and rice. Fruits too, save for moderate amounts of berries, say 50 grams tops. All those things are decidedly bad for you, as your meter will tell you as you test. (I'm assuming you're testing before a meal and 2 hours after first bite? If not: You want to aim for a rise of less than 2 mmol/l. Anything above that is considered a spike, and you want to avoid those.).

So what can you eat? Eggs, meat, fish, leafy greens/above ground veggies, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, double cream, nuts, extra dark chocolate, olives, for instance. Breakfast could be 3 eggs with bacon and cheese, maybe mushrooms and a few cherry tomatoes... Lunch a salad with tuna, capers, olives, avocado, mayonaise. Dinner meat or fish with above ground veggies. None of those will spike you.

Metformin is a drug that, when tolerated well (some people get the runs something awful... I was one of them, so I wanted to get rid of the meds asap), can make a difference, but only a LITTLE difference. It stops the liver dumping glucose and it is an appetite suppresant, but it doesn't do much about the carbs you're eating. The big difference will have to come from a lifestyle change, meaning, basically, cutting carbs. You can, of course, be completely medication dependant, (and there's a whole lot more out there than just metformin.). Some people choose that, and that's fine. Only drawback is that if you don't change your diet, then diabetes is per definition a progressive disease. Dosages will get higher, complications are more likely to occur. If you change diet as well, you might go into remission. I managed it just fine, I've been off diabetes meds (and statins) three months into diagnosis, and that was because I was on my own at first and kept making mistakes in what I ate. Could've happened a lot sooner if I'd found this place when i needed it, but alas.

In any case, don't just take my word for it. Maybe check dietdoctor.com for recipies and informative video's. They can explain it better than i can. And maybe hit the books: Dr. Jason Fung has written a couple of brilliant ones.

Good luck!
Jo, who's still a little concerned about the ketones

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ian1currie One more thing. If you do start to feel horrid, and your bloods remain in the 20's, and there are large amounts of ketones present, do call for help. Diabetic Ketoacidosis is extremely rare in T2's, but not completely unheard of. And you do not want DKA.

ian1currie

Thank you so much for all that information and the time you took to reply, I shall be following the advice you have given.
My Ketone warning on my blood tester just says Ketones, not a value just that they are present .

I wasn't testing before eating only 2 hours after ,so I shall start doing that.

I have to watch what I eat in the ways of fibre as some foods start my IBS off, so far with the metformin I just have a bloated stomach .
Someone sent me a codefree monitoring system today, would this of been from the nhs as nothing was written with it?

Again thanks for your reply.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for all that information and the time you took to reply, I shall be following the advice you have given.
My Ketone warning on my blood tester just says Ketones, not a value just that they are present .

I wasn't testing before eating only 2 hours after ,so I shall start doing that.

I have to watch what I eat in the ways of fibre as some foods start my IBS off, so far with the metformin I just have a bloated stomach .
Someone sent me a codefree monitoring system today, would this of been from the nhs as nothing was written with it?

Again thanks for your reply.

I have IBS, and I haven't had any problems with that on a low carb diet. Turns out, bread didn't agree with me on more than one level. ;) (I never knew that it set IBS off so much. For me anyway...). Your doc/nurse may have ordered the codefree for you. I'm in the Netherlands, so I wouldn't know how the NHS does that. Just that they don't usually!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your normal blood sugar meter says ketones, it probably means you should check if your ketones are high, not that they are high. That is because manufacturers of meters have type 1's in mind, and when they go to the twenties they might be in acute danger of ketoacidosis. Much rarer in T2's, luckily.
Still, as you're early in diagnosis, it's not impossible, so call for help when in doubt. If you still see numbers in the twenties after the weekend I would contact your doctor anyway.
I have to watch what I eat in the ways of fibre as some foods start my IBS off
Not sure if that means you need to eat a lot of fibre or very little of fibre, but if it's little, you're fine with cheeses and meats and eggs and cream, and none of them will make your bg go up.
for breakfast I eat a small bowl of rice krispies in rice milk
Have you checked the back of the pack for sugar? It's shocking! Would you by any chance like bacon and eggs instead? Your diabetes would!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@iancurrie

Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

ian1currie

Thank you for the information, I like the thought of the low carb diet but worry as I have had high cholesterol in the past and was told by my doctor not to eat meat and to become a vegen.
Any thoughts on this?
Kind regards, Ian

Reactions: Elaine p

ian1currie

If your normal blood sugar meter says ketones, it probably means you should check if your ketones are high, not that they are high. That is because manufacturers of meters have type 1's in mind, and when they go to the twenties they might be in acute danger of ketoacidosis. Much rarer in T2's, luckily.
Still, as you're early in diagnosis, it's not impossible, so call for help when in doubt. If you still see numbers in the twenties after the weekend I would contact your doctor anyway.

Not sure if that means you need to eat a lot of fibre or very little of fibre, but if it's little, you're fine with cheeses and meats and eggs and cream, and none of them will make your bg go up.

Have you checked the back of the pack for sugar? It's shocking! Would you by any chance like bacon and eggs instead? Your diabetes would!
But wouldn't that raise my cholesterol?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people on here found that their cholesterol improved by eating LCHF. Besides, it seems that dietary cholesterol only makes up a very small part of cholesterol in your blood, but I don't know too much about that. If you want to know about cholesterol you need to ask @bulkbiker .
Besides #2, proof that a bit high cholesterol is dangerous is very thin, while proof that raised bloodsugar is very dangerous is indisputable.
Meat doesn't raise your bg. It may cause other problems but none of them are related to diabetes. Eating low carb is much easier when you include meat in your diet.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ian1currie ,

Welcome to the forum. There have already been some helpful members tagged in.
I'll tag a couple more @Bluetit1802 & @Brunneria

Hope this helps.

Don't hesitate to dial 111 if your BG is dangerously high with keytones.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i had blurred vision soon after diagnosed ..paniced..went to opticion as i had only had a test about a month earlier assured me that it would pass when i got my blood sugars under control which i did mainly by cutting carbs i had to use my poundland reading glasses[1.5s] for long distances and driving and for reading ibought 2.5s .... i cant remember how long the bluriness lasted probally only three weeks this was april this year things are fine now

Last edited:

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Ian, I’ve been diagnosed a few months now and knew nothing about the illness in the beginning, I too had very blurred vision. I did no research to start and received no information from the DN so went about my day as I always did, eating whatever I felt like when I felt likeable just injection the insulin whenever I remembered, it did me no favours. I came on this forum and learned a lot, I also ask my pharmacist for information as she is very knowledgeable about diabetes and getting an appointment with the DN is impossible. I started a high fat/no carb diet straight away and lost 11lbs in 10 days and my blood sugars stabilised immediately, except I was very unwell and could hardly drag myself out of bed most days and also concerned about the fat content as I have high cholesterol. I read that carbs should be eliminated slowly so the body can adjust and there is what’s called diabetic flu so maybe I just approached the new eating regime in the wrong way and this had consequences. I started to reintroduce the carbs to a minimal level with the pharmacist’s advice. I take my BS levels before and after every time I eat carbs to see how my levels are. I can tolerate a tiny bowl of porridge and bulk it out with Greek yoghurt and strawberries. I have this maybe 3 times a week and cooked breakfast the other days, again I introduce a little carb by having tomatoes and beans. I also drink cows milk as this contains quite a bit of carb as I can tell, but i’m thinking about swapping to oat milk if this is lower in carbs( I need to do some research into this as I do like a latte!). For my evening meal I will have chicken/salmon with lots of veg/salad. Root veg contain moderate amounts of carbs so don’t introduce any more to the meal to start with. If eating salad and my BS is in in 5 range I will add a couple of spoons of brown pasta, couscous or even 1 slice of whole meal bread. My BS have never gone above 7.5 so I think this is working well. I have also reduced my insulin from 20 units to 14 in the last couple of weeks. This week I am experimenting with beef and veg casserole and mixed bean chilli to see their effect, all homemade as not sure what goes into shop bought ones. Since my BS have maintained at between 4.5 - 6.5 before meals my blurred vision has gone away, it lasted 8 weeks. Sorry about long post but hope it helps you with what I believe to be a complicated and very personal illness. A lot of people on here have very successful outcomes when not eating carbs but I think, for me, lower carb eating is the way to go. I may change my mind in the future should circumstance change. Hopefully you will find your way forward soon and those levels will come down. Please seek advise if you’re not sure about your levels today as reassurance is key to lower stress levels and we all know what those stress levels do to our BS! Good luck to you and take care x. Should add that when I want a snack I eat nuts, Greek yoghurt or lower carb fruits like strawberries or raspberries, I can also tolerate an apple but no bananas.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ian1currie

Hello and welcome.

Your levels are too high most likely because of your food choices. These are the foods that cause us the most problems - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals (including porridge) and most fruits. We also need to be sparing with our milk.
Please have a look at the page on this website
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

I have no idea who sent you the Codefree meter, but as the Codefree has the cheapest available test strips you will find it useful. You can buy extra strips here http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/
and there are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Don't forget to check the box to say you are diabetic so you can buy them without paying the VAT.

As for cholesterol, there is an excellent thread here that is attempting to put all the information about cholesterol together.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ian1currie

Hello and welcome.

Your levels are too high most likely because of your food choices. These are the foods that cause us the most problems - bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals (including porridge) and most fruits. We also need to be sparing with our milk.
Please have a look at the page on this website
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

I have no idea who sent you the Codefree meter, but as the Codefree has the cheapest available test strips you will find it useful. You can buy extra strips here http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/
and there are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Don't forget to check the box to say you are diabetic so you can buy them without paying the VAT.

As for cholesterol, there is an excellent thread here that is attempting to put all the information about cholesterol together.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian, I’ve been diagnosed a few months now and knew nothing about the illness in the beginning, I too had very blurred vision. I did no research to start and received no information from the DN so went about my day as I always did, eating whatever I felt like when I felt likeable just injection the insulin whenever I remembered, it did me no favours. I came on this forum and learned a lot, I also ask my pharmacist for information as she is very knowledgeable about diabetes and getting an appointment with the DN is impossible. I started a high fat/no carb diet straight away and lost 11lbs in 10 days and my blood sugars stabilised immediately, except I was very unwell and could hardly drag myself out of bed most days and also concerned about the fat content as I have high cholesterol. I read that carbs should be eliminated slowly so the body can adjust and there is what’s called diabetic flu so maybe I just approached the new eating regime in the wrong way and this had consequences. I started to reintroduce the carbs to a minimal level with the pharmacist’s advice. I take my BS levels before and after every time I eat carbs to see how my levels are. I can tolerate a tiny bowl of porridge and bulk it out with Greek yoghurt and strawberries. I have this maybe 3 times a week and cooked breakfast the other days, again I introduce a little carb by having tomatoes and beans. I also drink cows milk as this contains quite a bit of carb as I can tell, but i’m thinking about swapping to oat milk if this is lower in carbs( I need to do some research into this as I do like a latte!). For my evening meal I will have chicken/salmon with lots of veg/salad. Root veg contain moderate amounts of carbs so don’t introduce any more to the meal to start with. If eating salad and my BS is in in 5 range I will add a couple of spoons of brown pasta, couscous or even 1 slice of whole meal bread. My BS have never gone above 7.5 so I think this is working well. I have also reduced my insulin from 20 units to 14 in the last couple of weeks. This week I am experimenting with beef and veg casserole and mixed bean chilli to see their effect, all homemade as not sure what goes into shop bought ones. Since my BS have maintained at between 4.5 - 6.5 before meals my blurred vision has gone away, it lasted 8 weeks. Sorry about long post but hope it helps you with what I believe to be a complicated and very personal illness. A lot of people on here have very successful outcomes when not eating carbs but I think, for me, lower carb eating is the way to go. I may change my mind in the future should circumstance change. Hopefully you will find your way forward soon and those levels will come down. Please seek advise if you’re not sure about your levels today as reassurance is key to lower stress levels and we all know what those stress levels do to our BS! Good luck to you and take care x
hi @Elaine p may i suggest alpro unsweetened roasted almond milk nil carbs nil sugars 1.1 grams fat /100 grams