Healthier You Program, what does it entail ??

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local health Authority has invited me to go on the 'Healthier You ' Program , which is run nationally to help prevent Diabetes by encouraging people to live healthier lifestyles ( Prevent Type 2 , I presume as I believe type 1 isn't so preventable) .
WHAT AM I LETTING MYSELF IN FOR ?

It has taken them 2 years to finally get hold of me and get me into an appointment , :-D now I don't like a Dr breathing down my neck every week , so as I initially though yes I'll join , I've been dragging my feet and also went into remission last Christmas (so forgot about Healthier You ) but went back into Pre - Diabetes , in April. So was asked again by my clinician .

Can ANYONE tell me what the first appointment is like ? What can I expect and how I will be treated ? I am very wary of Dr's and Schemes , don't want to fall into a kind of treadmill/ trap , or anything like that .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local health Authority has invited me to go on the 'Healthier You ' Program , which is run nationally to help prevent Diabetes by encouraging people to live healthier lifestyles ( Prevent Type 2 , I presume as I believe type 1 isn't so preventable) .
WHAT AM I LETTING MYSELF IN FOR ?

It has taken them 2 years to finally get hold of me and get me into an appointment , :-D now I don't like a Dr breathing down my neck every week , so as I initially though yes I'll join , I've been dragging my feet and also went into remission last Christmas (so forgot about Healthier You ) but went back into Pre - Diabetes , in April. So was asked again by my clinician .

Can ANYONE tell me what the first appointment is like ? What can I expect and how I will be treated ? I am very wary of Dr's and Schemes , don't want to fall into a kind of treadmill/ trap , or anything like that .

I don't believe "Healthier You" is run in my area. Although things are "national", it doesn't actually mean every single CCG will use that programme. Some have others.

I appreciate my post isn't helpful to your query, but it bumps it up the posting lists for more views. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PreDiet
I did a quick google and found something run by the NHS and Diabetes.org.uk.. if it is that then its all eatwell plate starchy carbs blah blah blah..
What area do you live in as the county search may help to see if it is something else...

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PreDiet
I did a quick google and found something run by the NHS and Diabetes.org.uk.. if it is that then its all eatwell plate starchy carbs blah blah blah..
What area do you live in as the county search may help to see if it is something else...

North Herts just 50 mins to go B4 Appt. nervous , jumpy , have had so many health checks in the last 6 months really getting on my nerves. Know they're going to give me a blood prick test , feeling it's going to be bad . :(

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have to go on the how to cook part of the course as I make my own sauces anyway and guess what ?? I aced it!!!
They do an on the spot HBa1C AND I was sneaking looks at it and it came up with my lowest yet 34mmol !!!!

VICTORY DANCE!! HBa1C 34 !!!

Still have to go on the weight loss part of the course as my BMI is high and waistline needs reducing but I'm ecstatic.

Thankyou for your help everyone!! Nerves over now Feeling HAPPY .

:hilarious::):hungry::playful::D:pics: :cat: Now for the losing weight :clown:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My waistline has reappeared since eating low carb rather than stodgy, 'healthy' foods.
It has meant buying all new clothes a couple of times now, but I can't say that was a hardship.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Lincs Owl

I enrolled on a 7 weeks NHS Diabetes Prevention Group as a health check showed I had a reading of 44 for Hb1ac .
Just finished course .Don't know if it's the same thing. So what exactly are you frightened of? It was 5 weeks talking about food and showing pictures of chips etc which just made me hungeh, plus 2 weeks of chair based physical exercise. As someone who climbs mountains, swims, plays tennis, badminton and table tennis regularly, it was embarrassingly easy. Then again, we had an 80 year old with a walking stick next to me so it's understandable.
Can't say I learned anything I couldn't find out on here. Basically avoid spuds bread rice pasta chocs and cakes. Keep fit and avoid stress. You qualify for another Hb1ac reading if you complete the course.
They're trying to help you, so go on it. It won't hurt you. You get a 1 to 1 interview before the course starts, where they weigh you and give advice. All in a freindly atmosphere .

Reactions: paulmh and ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enrolled on a 7 weeks NHS Diabetes Prevention Group as a health check showed I had a reading of 44 for Hb1ac .
Just finished course .Don't know if it's the same thing. So what exactly are you frightened of? It was 5 weeks talking about food and showing pictures of chips etc which just made me hungeh, plus 2 weeks of chair based physical exercise. As someone who climbs mountains, swims, plays tennis, badminton and table tennis regularly, it was embarrassingly easy. Then again, we had an 80 year old with a walking stick next to me so it's understandable.
Can't say I learned anything I couldn't find out on here. Basically avoid spuds bread rice pasta chocs and cakes. Keep fit and avoid stress. You qualify for another Hb1ac reading if you complete the course.
They're trying to help you, so go on it. It won't hurt you. You get a 1 to 1 interview before the course starts, where they weigh you and give advice. All in a freindly atmosphere .
Thats great but a number of the "diabetes education" courses seem to be just another excuse to roll out the Eatwell Guide and tell Type 2's to eat starchy carbs at every meal (yes this does still happen). So its a good idea for forum members who go on the courses to report back how it was.

Lincs Owl

They gave me a very large profusely illustrated 162 page glossy book entitled 'X-pert diabetes' Handbook version 13. Interesting but some of the info seems contradictory. We had 3 different tutors on the five weeks of the seven I attended. I was away on holiday for two of the weeks. They didn't pressurise us into anything. They work on behalf of NHS to try and stop pre diabetics becoming full blown type 2s. Sounds a good idea but I left there more confused than when I first started. I just follow my own plan of eat 25% less and do 25% more exercise. Gone from 88kg to 66kg in 6 months. Takes willpower though

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
x PERT was set up by Trudi Deakin who is of the low carb church however the course encourages change and setting own goals so the other options (low fat, cal controlled) are discussed. I like the book that goes with the course and the fact that is lasts a number of weeks. The quality of the educators will obviously account for variations in the actual management and delivery of same.
There is a growing market for companies delivering diabetes prevention courses due to there being funding for them e.g. my local CCG is considering buying from a company that manages prisoners post release with it's main selling point being frequently run courses that only last half a day. That seems to imply a box ticking exercise to maximise attendance and minimise cost.
On the plus side I think Healthier You has at least been running in Leicester (type 2 diabetes capital of England) so hope that means your CCG has bought the course in good faith by looking at efficacy as well as cost.

Be interested to hear how you get on. Am going on my own type 1 diabetes ed thing next Friday but as we are a rarer species those course are done in house rather than out sourced.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
x PERT was set up by Trudi Deakin who is of the low carb church however the course encourages change and setting own goals so the other options (low fat, cal controlled) are discussed. I like the book that goes with the course and the fact that is lasts a number of weeks. The quality of the educators will obviously account for variations in the actual management and delivery of same.
There is a growing market for companies delivering diabetes prevention courses due to there being funding for them e.g. my local CCG is considering buying from a company that manages prisoners post release with it's main selling point being frequently run courses that only last half a day. That seems to imply a box ticking exercise to maximise attendance and minimise cost.
On the plus side I think Healthier You has at least been running in Leicester (type 2 diabetes capital of England) so hope that means your CCG has bought the course in good faith by looking at efficacy as well as cost.

Be interested to hear how you get on. Am going on my own type 1 diabetes ed thing next Friday but as we are a rarer species those course are done in house rather than out sourced.
Hi Nicole

I did very well (I wrote a previous post ) , with a HBa1c of 34 , I just took an afternoon reading and it was the lowest yet at 4.8 long time since I got that reading , but the Doctor / health professional there was very pleased , I still have to lose weight and reduce my waistline but they are very happy with my result . ( I haven't been invited back yet and wasn't given the Xpert book at least not yet ). So happy days !! all the Best PreDiet x

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have just started on the Healthier You Preventing Diabetes course. Session one, What is Diabetes? Got the handbook. No need to lose weight here, so for me its all about understanding what to eat and when.
Was pleased to see they are not suggesting a one size fits all approach. Four different dietry regimes discussed in the handbook, including Low Carb.
However, my instructer is very firm on "three meals a day - nothing but water in between" but for me this wont work. Think it will be the same for many of the group. Having tried really hard with my carb consumption and got my HbA1C down to 37, dont need to be feeling guilty for having a cup of tea.
Going to persevere with the course though, hoping it will be useful.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Session two tomorrow

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what my GP has referred me to today. Not sure how long it will be before I get an appointment?? It's the National Diabetes Prevention Scheme (Healthier You)...I am thinking I'll learn more here, but it's worth a try..

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is what my GP has referred me to today. Not sure how long it will be before I get an appointment?? It's the National Diabetes Prevention Scheme (Healthier You)...I am thinking I'll learn more here, but it's worth a try..
Hi Angie,
Can honestly recommend it. The two sessions so far have been very informative, not at all preachy. Definitely worth giving it a go. Very varied group of people attending as well.

Reactions: AngiH

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Angie,
Can honestly recommend it. The two sessions so far have been very informative, not at all preachy. Definitely worth giving it a go. Very varied group of people attending as well.
Thank you, I will give it a go and I have this fabulous forum too which has already been amazing.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
North Herts just 50 mins to go B4 Appt. nervous , jumpy , have had so many health checks in the last 6 months really getting on my nerves. Know they're going to give me a blood prick test , feeling it's going to be bad . :(
how did it go?