1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Healthier You Program, what does it entail ??

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by PreDiet, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:13 AM.

1. PreDiet

PreDiet Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My local health Authority has invited me to go on the 'Healthier You ' Program , which is run nationally to help prevent Diabetes by encouraging people to live healthier lifestyles ( Prevent Type 2 , I presume as I believe type 1 isn't so preventable) .
    WHAT AM I LETTING MYSELF IN FOR ?

It has taken them 2 years to finally get hold of me and get me into an appointment , :-D now I don't like a Dr breathing down my neck every week , so as I initially though yes I'll join , I've been dragging my feet and also went into remission last Christmas (so forgot about Healthier You ) but went back into Pre - Diabetes , in April. So was asked again by my clinician .

Can ANYONE tell me what the first appointment is like ? What can I expect and how I will be treated ? I am very wary of Dr's and Schemes , don't want to fall into a kind of treadmill/ trap , or anything like that .

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't believe "Healthier You" is run in my area. Although things are "national", it doesn't actually mean every single CCG will use that programme. Some have others.

I appreciate my post isn't helpful to your query, but it bumps it up the posting lists for more views. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Hi @PreDiet
    I did a quick google and found something run by the NHS and Diabetes.org.uk.. if it is that then its all eatwell plate starchy carbs blah blah blah..
    What area do you live in as the county search may help to see if it is something else...

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PreDiet

North Herts just 50 mins to go B4 Appt. nervous , jumpy , have had so many health checks in the last 6 months really getting on my nerves. Know they're going to give me a blood prick test , feeling it's going to be bad . :(

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Just saw you are in Herts so came up with this
    https://preventing-diabetes.co.uk/hertfordshire/
    Has an element of "Expert" course which may be low carb but it seems to vary by location..
    This one seems more NHS so might in fact be useful.. please let us know how it goes...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. PreDiet

I don't have to go on the how to cook part of the course as I make my own sauces anyway and guess what ?? I aced it!!!
    They do an on the spot HBa1C AND I was sneaking looks at it and it came up with my lowest yet 34mmol !!!!

VICTORY DANCE!! HBa1C 34 !!!

Still have to go on the weight loss part of the course as my BMI is high and waistline needs reducing but I'm ecstatic.

Thankyou for your help everyone!! Nerves over now Feeling HAPPY .

:hilarious::):hungry::playful::D:pics: :cat: Now for the losing weight :clown:

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My waistline has reappeared since eating low carb rather than stodgy, 'healthy' foods.
    It has meant buying all new clothes a couple of times now, but I can't say that was a hardship.

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook