Eating alone and injecting in a restraunt how?

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meanness. Unkindness. Not much else.
Guys a strange one here, later today I will be leaving work early so have a few hours to kill before I meet friends to see a show, thing is there is a restaurant I really fancy trying, eating on my own in a restaurant doesn't bother me.

What does is that once I order and go away to take my jab the waiters may think I've left and cancel the food as the table will be empty for that time. How do people deal with this, injecting in public is not an option due to clothing and the fact I use my leg.
Maybe a bit late as I have only just registered. I have heard there have been research studies showing that it is safe to inject through your clothes! I have done this several times with no problems.

Reactions: kitedoc

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see most people have over come this problem,well for a start its not a problem and I inject through my tee-shirt in to my stomach no problem even in a crowded cafe or on my own

Reactions: kitedoc

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see most people have over come this problem,well for a start its not a problem and I inject through my tee-shirt in to my stomach no problem even in a crowded cafe or on my own

I agree with the "it's not a problem" - I'm not sure I've overcome it, I just never felt there was a problem in the first place and have always injected when I've wanted. I've not injected through clothes, men's clothes generally don't restrict you from pulling a shirt up a bit to expose a bit of tummy :)

flowerthym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just stumbled across this thread, I don’t inject as I’m type 2 however my friend at work is type 1 so does inject. It has never bothered me or our boss, bless him he is often faced with the sight of both of us testing our blood sugars and seeing V inject her tummy, he takes it all in his stride as I think most people do.
Only once have I been quizzed about what I was doing when I tested my blood in public, it was a young lad, he was intrigued more than upset and quite openly came up to ask what I was doing. I think his dad was embarrassed about his questions but I was happy to explain what I was doing and why.
I am Type 2 and I dodo inject as do many other Type 2 when everything else has failed. I cannot bring myself to either test or inject in public. Maybe it,s an age thing.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What seems to be the problem ? When in public,take one to the belly.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Guys a strange one here, later today I will be leaving work early so have a few hours to kill before I meet friends to see a show, thing is there is a restaurant I really fancy trying, eating on my own in a restaurant doesn't bother me.
I inject at tables in restaurants all the time, through thin clothing into my butt, no-one has ever noticed or commented. Even managed to inject sitting on a plane very close to other passenger. Don't be furtive, just discreet. Good luck!
What does is that once I order and go away to take my jab the waiters may think I've left and cancel the food as the table will be empty for that time. How do people deal with this, injecting in public is not an option due to clothing and the fact I use my leg.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
[/QUOT

Somehow my reply ended up in your post, apologies!
I inject through thin clothing into my butt all the time in public places, restaurants and even on a plane, close to other passengers. Don't look furtive, just do it, perfectly normal activity. Good luck

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)

Thank goodness after many years the public has come to accept breastfeeding discretely in public. Now is the time for diabetics to get the same acceptance for injections. Certainly better than in the loo. If there is a problem with the stomach, what about the upper arm?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the bad old days i was fairly self concious, and would always go to loo to inject. As I have slowly turned into Victor Meldrew, I care not a jot what people think.

Just dont inject publicly and make a show of it, be discreet. I have always injected through clothing if necessary

Reactions: porl69

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roll up your sleeve and stick it in your mid arm. It's quick and a non bleeder if a site

D

Deleted Account

Roll up your sleeve and stick it in your mid arm. It's quick and a non bleeder if a site
That is the last place I would inject
- I have less fat and more muscle on my arm so less places I could inject
- I need to pinch due to the lack of fat and cannot do this on my arm (I run out of hands)
- I find injecting around my waist can be done under the table so is far more discrete.
- It is quicker to raise my jumper a little than roll up my sleeves

But we are all different and I think the point is not to be too self conscious.

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That is the last place I would inject
- I have less fat and more muscle on my arm so less places I could inject
- I need to pinch due to the lack of fat and cannot do this on my arm (I run out of hands)
- I find injecting around my waist can be done under the table so is far more discrete.
- It is quicker to raise my jumper a little than roll up my sleeves

But we are all different and I think the point is not to be too self conscious.
I agree about self-consciousness. I have usually found that other people are less interested in what we are doing than we think they are! I have injected at table and even the people with me haven't noticed.

Reactions: Kim Possible

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe a bit late as I have only just registered. I have heard there have been research studies showing that it is safe to inject through your clothes! I have done this several times with no problems.
I heard of a Professor of Medicine in England (as it was called back then)! who, after a ward round at the hospital, would sit down with his students at lunchtime and proceed to inject his insulin through his shirt or shirt and waistcoat.
The only downsides to this practice I can see are injection through a contaminated shirt or waistcoat (possible I guess if not wearing some protective clothing during a ward round including people with infections), and explaining to one's partner the occasional blood stains (and saying that you could also check one's BSLS from the blood is no excuse )!!

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I heard of a Professor of Medicine in England (as it was called back then)! who, after a ward round at the hospital, would sit down with his students at lunchtime and proceed to inject his insulin through his shirt or shirt and waistcoat.
The only downsides to this practice I can see are injection through a contaminated shirt or waistcoat (possible I guess if not wearing some protective clothing during a ward round including people with infections), and explaining to one's partner the occasional blood stains (and saying that you could also check one's BSLS from the blood is no excuse )!!
Haha