1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Eating alone and injecting in a restraunt how?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by O_DP_T1, Oct 5, 2018.

1. johnbear2

johnbear2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just inject at the table, if anyone asks just tell them you are diabetic

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Irene Banting

Irene Banting Type 1 · Member

Maybe a bit late as I have only just registered. I have heard there have been research studies showing that it is safe to inject through your clothes! I have done this several times with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I see most people have over come this problem,well for a start its not a problem and I inject through my tee-shirt in to my stomach no problem even in a crowded cafe or on my own

• Like Like x 1
  4. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree with the "it's not a problem" - I'm not sure I've overcome it, I just never felt there was a problem in the first place and have always injected when I've wanted. I've not injected through clothes, men's clothes generally don't restrict you from pulling a shirt up a bit to expose a bit of tummy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. flowerthym

flowerthym Type 2 · Member

I am Type 2 and I dodo inject as do many other Type 2 when everything else has failed. I cannot bring myself to either test or inject in public. Maybe it,s an age thing.

6. ivan 2

ivan 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What seems to be the problem ? When in public,take one to the belly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

8. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank goodness after many years the public has come to accept breastfeeding discretely in public. Now is the time for diabetics to get the same acceptance for injections. Certainly better than in the loo. If there is a problem with the stomach, what about the upper arm?

10. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In the bad old days i was fairly self concious, and would always go to loo to inject. As I have slowly turned into Victor Meldrew, I care not a jot what people think.

Just dont inject publicly and make a show of it, be discreet. I have always injected through clothing if necessary

• Like Like x 1
  11. caius2x8

caius2x8 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Roll up your sleeve and stick it in your mid arm. It's quick and a non bleeder if a site

12. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

That is the last place I would inject
    - I have less fat and more muscle on my arm so less places I could inject
    - I need to pinch due to the lack of fat and cannot do this on my arm (I run out of hands)
    - I find injecting around my waist can be done under the table so is far more discrete.
    - It is quicker to raise my jumper a little than roll up my sleeves

But we are all different and I think the point is not to be too self conscious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Irene Banting

I agree about self-consciousness. I have usually found that other people are less interested in what we are doing than we think they are! I have injected at table and even the people with me haven't noticed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I heard of a Professor of Medicine in England (as it was called back then)! who, after a ward round at the hospital, would sit down with his students at lunchtime and proceed to inject his insulin through his shirt or shirt and waistcoat.
    The only downsides to this practice I can see are injection through a contaminated shirt or waistcoat (possible I guess if not wearing some protective clothing during a ward round including people with infections), and explaining to one's partner the occasional blood stains (and saying that you could also check one's BSLS from the blood is no excuse )!!

15. Irene Banting

Haha

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook