So [Expletive Deleted] Frustrated: A Rant

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. Total surprise. My A1C was 11.8% and my FBG was 16.2 mmol.

Started the LCHF diet; got better at it as I learned. Started swimming.

I had three-month blood test on October 5th. A1C now 6.1%. FBG was 7.3 mmol. Fatty liver now normal.

Had doctor's appointment today. She looked at my daily BG log and said I was "doing too well." Now removing Jardiance from meds.

Clearly I'm doing something right.

It's been three weeks since my last weigh-in. Excitedly stepped on the scales. I'm the exact same weight!

I am so [expletive deleted] frustrated! Why can't I lose weight?

I'm 5'3". Started at 193 pounds. Am now 180. So, yes, I have lost weight but 13 pounds in four months is pathetic.

Everywhere around me I see others have lost 30-40 pounds by this stage. What am I doing wrong?!?

I know I should be happy with my blood results. But I am just so discouraged.

Thank you for listening to me rant.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations on your results! Very well done!

Weight loss. Have you tried intermittent fasting? Have you tried excluding all dairy?

Edited to ask. Have you excluded all fruit from your diet? I learned of a case of a patient whose weight loss was stalled almost immediately because she had reintroduced fruit by having just one apple per day. She cut that out and after a few weeks her stall was over.

Reactions: neithskye and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on July 6th. Total surprise. My A1C was 11.8% and my FBG was 16.2 mmol.

I had three-month blood test on October 5th. A1C now 6.1%. FBG was 7.3 mmol. Fatty liver now normal.

Had doctor's appointment today. She looked at my daily BG log and said I was "doing too well." Now removing Jardiance from meds.

It's been three weeks since my last weigh-in. Excitedly stepped on the scales. I'm the exact same weight!

I'm 5'3". Started at 193 pounds. Am now 180. So, yes, I have lost weight but 13 pounds in four months is pathetic.

Everywhere around me I see others have lost 30-40 pounds by this stage. What am I doing wrong?!?

Frustrating isn't it. Though I wouldn't say your weight loss is pathetic. Quite an achievement in fact, especially when you consider that you have sorted your fatty liver, and reduced HbA1c. Don't be disheartened, @neithskye . It really doesn't help to compare yourself unfavourably to others. Sometimes weight will plateau for a while. Perhaps a little tweak of diet will sort that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rant away, but really you have no cause to be discouraged. You have lost nearly a stone in that 4 months, and that is not to be sneezed at and is certainly not pathetic, so I say to you - well done. :) Weight is far less important than blood sugars, and you have done remarkably well in reducing that. Also I assume you mean your liver functions have improved and are now normal? That is also an excellent achievement. Please never compare yourself to others. Some people lose weight very easily without much effort, but honestly this is a bonus. It isn't essential. You have lost weight - albeit not in the last 3 weeks. Have patience!

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rant allowed - usually means you have something to say also...;)
As a Type 1, I'm not so versed, when it comes to Type 2, but to me this does not look too bad after all!
Keep the steam up, and hopefully things will soon start to go more in your own desired direction...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but look at that chart in your avatar pic.

Weight loss? Pffft! The real success is there in clear red and green.
This is a lifestyle change, not a weight loss diet (although so many people seem to prioritise readings on scales over non scale victories that you can be forgiven for falling for the hype.

:)

Reactions: neithskye

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@neithskye - I wasn't carrying loads of weight when diagnosed, and I confess I was one of those irritating people whose love handles melted without any effort, but I decided on day one I had one focus dealing with my diagnosis and that was to reduce my blood sugar.

My take was, and still is, that my issue was blood sugar. That I had love handles was a side show. I knew I wanted my blood sugars down. If I still had love handles and great bloods, I'd call that a result. If I'd focused on dropping the love handles, but still have high bloods at the end of it, I'd have been one sulky bunny.

Focus on the bloods would be my advice. You have lost weight, albeit slower than some, but your progress is excellent.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@neithskye am agreeing with the others.

Don’t want to dismiss your feelings - they are after all your feelings and if you’re not hitting all your objectives it is very frustrating.

I am one of those fortunate t have also shed a lot of weight, so it might be easy for me to say, but that was a side effect of working hard on bringing BG levels down. The weight loss was also pretty slow at the start. Your blood sugar results are awesome and that really is the important thing with this condition.

This is such a complex condition and we are all so different, so it’s important not to compare yourself to others (that can be hard).

Keep posting and keep on it!

TomT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am not a doctor. It could be that now you've come off the medication your weight loss will improve.
The important thing id that you have reduced your BG levels. Now you have done that your weight loss will follow. You can try tweaking things a bit. If you eat fruit try to reduce the amount; fruits contain quite a lot of sugar, while green vegetables do not. I know that on LCHF regime calories do not count, but I've found that if I have too many calories, I do not lose weight either... So I have reduced the calories as well. The point is that I do not feel hungry with a lower calorie intake and I am beginning to lose a bit more weight again!
Try not to think about what others have lost in weight - their loss is of no consequence to you.
Keep up the good work! You have done spectacularly well!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight loss was similar to yours. My GP said it was phenomenal!

Like yours mine is slow compared to others, but believe me, it's still a good loss and your other results are fantastic.

Well done :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you measured your waist in that time? If you have taken up swimming you may have gained muscle which would skew results....?

Still think youre doing well though!

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your results! Very well done!

Weight loss. Have you tried intermittent fasting? Have you tried excluding all dairy?

Edited to ask. Have you excluded all fruit from your diet? I learned of a case of a patient whose weight loss was stalled almost immediately because she had reintroduced fruit by having just one apple per day. She cut that out and after a few weeks her stall was over.
Thank you.

I do intermittent fasting in the sense that once I wake up I keep right on not eating. So it can be 16-18 hours. Usually because I'm not hungry.

The only dairy I eat is cheese.

I eat no fruit at all. Not even berries. And no juice. Just water and the occasional diet soda for me.

Reactions: Guzzler

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frustrating isn't it. Though I wouldn't say your weight loss is pathetic. Quite an achievement in fact, especially when you consider that you have sorted your fatty liver, and reduced HbA1c. Don't be disheartened, @neithskye . It really doesn't help to compare yourself unfavourably to others. Sometimes weight will plateau for a while. Perhaps a little tweak of diet will sort that.
Part of it is comparing myself to others. But most of it is looking at the science. Healthier food in - exercise calories burned, etc. If this is working well for others why isn't it working for me? It's science! I just feel like I've wasted the last four months.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, but look at that chart in your avatar pic.

Weight loss? Pffft! The real success is there in clear red and green.
This is a lifestyle change, not a weight loss diet (although so many people seem to prioritise readings on scales over non scale victories that you can be forgiven for falling for the hype.

:)
My doctor was asking me if I ate fruit or other bad things, then looked at my numbers. I'm getting 4.2 mmol readings two hours after meals which she said is too low so CLEARLY I'm not sneaking in bad foods. I just don't get why this isn't manifesting into weight loss.

I didn't loss a single pound for the first two months. Then 13 pounds. Then nothing again for the past month.

I know I should be proud of my blood results. My body has always fought me on weight loss (had my gallbladder out in 1991 and didn't lose a single pound). I just get tired of my body fighting me on everything.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If that's the case then I have wasted 6 years, but I am happy to have my BGs under control.
I understand but there's just no way a 5'3" woman should be weighing 180 pounds.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you measure your height to waist ratio? My body shape changed ever so slightly at first (my collar bones sticking through first alerted me to this). If you're taking more regular excercise there's a chance you're losing fat but gaining muscle mass, it's worth thinking about.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand but there's just no way a 5'3" woman should be weighing 180 pounds.
That's me put in my place then. I was feeling quite proud that I have reduced my BMI from 44 to 34.3 (still higher than yours) Hey ho, time to take a break from this place methinks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's me put in my place then. I was feeling quite proud that I have reduced my BMI from 44 to 34.3 (still higher than yours) Hey ho, time to take a break from this place methinks.

You have made magnificent improvements not only with your markers but with your other conditions, too. I take my hat off to you especially as my A1c pales into insignificance when compared to yours. You are a star!