Am I still classed as new?

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my 3month results and am down from 76 to 57. Am delighted and still working on the low carb and testing my sugars regime recommended by folk on here.

Thanks again for all the info and support.

Now waiting to see the D nurse to see what she says. Am taking my blood sugar book to shove under her nose

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my 3month results and am down from 76 to 57. Am delighted and still working on the low carb and testing my sugars regime recommended by folk on here.

Now waiting to see the D nurse to see what she says. Am taking my blood sugar book to shove under her nose
Brilliant news... well done you for being in control of your condition. Keep it up and you'll be even lower next time.
Please let the DN know that by testing in a specific way you have done what you have done. If they try to put you off doing it please ignore them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on what you’ve achieved, keep it up and I’m sure you’ll see an even better number next time.
In answer to your question, I was diagnosed 18 months ago and in some respects I am new compared with others, I continue to learn about type 2 and don’t suppose that’ll ever stop, so I’m not sure at what exact point we aren’t ‘new’ anymore!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was diagnosed about 18 months ago, too. I still consider myself a noob even where my own body is concerned. You have done a sterling job with your numbers, keep up the great work!

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think I will have to be stricter to get lower or just carry on and give it more time?

Reactions: kitedoc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As time passes and you learn more and more about the foods that affect you as an individual through testing and tweaking then your numbers should continue to fall. Don't be tempted to rest on your laurels, keep checking those labels and testing your blood glucose levels against what you are eating. Again, well done.

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just sitting looking thru my bloods printout and my cholesterol has gone down from 5.9 to 4.7 after ditching all the low fat stuff too. I have only lost 6lbs in the 3 months so it's all down to the lchf. I am so happy i ignored the diet advice the gp/nurse gave and followed this forum instead. will be putting them straight when I go

Buzzing

Reactions: Prem51

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Sprocket 2 hi just before my first three month test i went on the desmond course i listened to two nice people bang on about the eatwell plate.. about a third of the way through i had a word with one of the nurses and as you say ..:shoved it under her nose,,where apon she said ..my word ..you will go into remission or somthing similar ..i endured the rest of the day and at the closing chat,any questions etc. the same d.n. chucked me in it to the rest of the group to tell my low carb story as best i could i know i went red and stuttered a bit but put them onto this site and to the much malined michael moseley [in some quarters} i had my hb1ac which was 12.5 which came down to 5.5 in june and 5.3 in september.. and again i thank all on this site for all advice given..but its all up to ourselves,,,this is not a dress rehersal!

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sprocket 2 hi just before my first three month test i went on the desmond course i listened to two nice people bang on about the eatwell plate.. about a third of the way through i had a word with one of the nurses and as you say ..:shoved it under her nose,,where apon she said ..my word ..you will go into remission or somthing similar ..i endured the rest of the day and at the closing chat,any questions etc. the same d.n. chucked me in it to the rest of the group to tell my low carb story as best i could i know i went red and stuttered a bit but put them onto this site and to the much malined michael moseley [in some quarters} i had my hb1ac which was 12.5 which came down to 5.5 in june and 5.3 in september.. and aghain i thank all on this site for all advice given..but it all up to ourselves,,,this is not a dress rehersal!

I haven't had my appointment for the eatwell course yet and was going to cancel it of it came. You have now inspired me to go and evangelise them all ha

Reactions: Prem51 and xfieldok

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had my appointment for the eatwell course yet and was going to cancel it of it came. You have now inspired me to go and evangelise them all ha
i learned some things on the course but most went against the grain...i was first asked to give any questions the first of which was "could i come off metformin because of the side effects?" no you will be on them for life came the reply...my d.n at the practice said the same.....been off the damned stuff since may the twenty ninth this year!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Definitely new, even this time next year you will be new'ish.

My advice is to keep setting realistic goals, go as far as you can. It will take a while to really undo the aspects which caused your initial diagnosis.

It will not be possible to revert to the previous dietary lifestyle, but this can be resolved in the mind by understanding what "that stuff" does to around 66% of people who eat that way, and that there are tasty savoury alternatives to carbs / sugar.

Keep as detailed notes at least for a while, on what you eat, results, exercise, results, sleep, results etc which should help determine if you need to go stricter, but you are doing so well right now.

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i learned some things on the course but most went against the grain...i was first asked to give any questions the first of which was "could i come off metformin because of the side effects?" no you will be on them for life came the reply...my d.n at the practice said the same.....been off the damned stuff since may the twenty ninth this year!

Am lucky not to have had any side effects but am on the slow release which have read is better. Would love to eventually come off it though. Well done you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done on your HbA1c. That is brilliant, and also your cholesterol. Big gold medal for you. :)

I have been diagnosed and using this forum nearly 5 years and still learn something new every day from this forum (and from my meter!) It is a never ending learning curve.

Don't be disheartened if your nurse poo poos your meter readings and tells you to stop testing. Just nod and carry on regardless. It is more important than ever to test regularly now to make sure you can drop your HbA1c a bit more and not get complacent.

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really well done on your HbA1c. That is brilliant, and also your cholesterol. Big gold medal for you. :)

I have been diagnosed and using this forum nearly 5 years and still learn something new every day from this forum (and from my meter!) It is a never ending learning curve.

Don't be disheartened if your nurse poo poos your meter readings and tells you to stop testing. Just nod and carry on regardless. It is more important than ever to test regularly now to make sure you can drop your HbA1c a bit more and not get complacent.

Thanks, the nurse told me not to test, am so glad I found this forum

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Sprocket 2, After 52 years on insulin I still find new things to learn. Yes. I give of my experience but it is easy to become complacent and assume I know everything. Thankfully the folks on the this site pull me up from time to time!!
Again maybe it is because I am an Australian, standing on my head in the Southern Hemisphere, addled by the sun and letting the child inside out too often but if nothing was new I would have to wonder where all the fun was.
There are some definite advantages to staying new - like letting someone else dip their toe in the water first or being able to 'pass the buck' (why don't we say "pass the pound") Please revel in your newness when it suits you. Most of us matures do !!

T2#Me

@Sprocket 2 hi just before my first three month test i went on the desmond course i listened to two nice people bang on about the eatwell plate.. about a third of the way through i had a word with one of the nurses and as you say ..:shoved it under her nose,,where apon she said ..my word ..you will go into remission or somthing similar ..i endured the rest of the day and at the closing chat,any questions etc. the same d.n. chucked me in it to the rest of the group to tell my low carb story as best i could i know i went red and stuttered a bit but put them onto this site and to the much malined michael moseley [in some quarters} i had my hb1ac which was 12.5 which came down to 5.5 in june and 5.3 in september.. and again i thank all on this site for all advice given..but its all up to ourselves,,,this is not a dress rehersal!
Well done for speaking up at the course ... I felt the same at my course, but, sadly, I did not speak up as the presenters were very nice and hard working, and I did not want to seem ungentlemanly ... now, looking back at those other people being so badly advised, I really wish I had at least tried to protest, on their behalf. Hindsight is always 20/20 :arghh:

T2#Me

Hi @Sprocket 2, After 52 years on insulin I still find new things to learn. Yes. I give of my experience but it is easy to become complacent and assume I know everything. Thankfully the folks on the this site pull me up from time to time!!
Again maybe it is because I am an Australian, standing on my head in the Southern Hemisphere, addled by the sun and letting the child inside out too often but if nothing was new I would have to wonder where all the fun was.
There are some definite advantages to staying new - like letting someone else dip their toe in the water first or being able to 'pass the buck' (why don't we say "pass the pound") Please revel in your newness when it suits you. Most of us matures do !!
Curiosity made me look it up ... thanks for that ... always nice to learnsomething new :)
This expression dates from the mid-1800s, when in a poker game a piece of buckshot or another object was passed around to remind a player that he was the next dealer. It acquired its present meaning by about 1900.

Reactions: Bluetit1802