Are we going to die post-Brexit?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We are not going to war with the EU, they want to sell us all of their wares just as much as we want to buy them. Britain is self sufficient in just about nowt and the whole world knows it. Can you really envisage French suppliers saying 'Non, we will not sell you our delicious cheese'? Can you see a time when EU countries deny us access to medications and at a bigger profit, too?
It’s not that European manufacturers won’t sell us the stuff. It’s the omnishambles of a government here that haven’t got any of the necessary customs infrastructure to process it when it arrives. So it could be sat on a Kent motorway or an airport holding area (with dubious temperature control) for who knows how long.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It’s not that European manufacturers won’t sell us the stuff. It’s the omnishambles of a government here that haven’t got any of the necessary customs infrastructure to process it when it arrives. So it could be sat on a Kent motorway or an airport holding area (with dubious temperature control) for who knows how long.

I agree with you, esp on the omnishambles as this is my concern. I doubt if *they* have any notion at all of the vagaries of custom control at our ports and airports and the decades old cuts to customs officers/systems means that there may very well be an ugly transition period.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going on the bad experience I had with pi Lantus, night time injection, 27 waking blood, heavy day bolussing, change cartridge and woke to a 27, Polish meds with a Spanish sticker overstuck with English, I got a new script, Spanish stickers on Polish packaging and woke with a blood of 27, got a new script, went to Boots for the new script, woke with a blood of 6.

My script notes say not to offer pi....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you, esp on the omnishambles as this is my concern. I doubt if *they* have any notion at all of the vagaries of custom control at our ports and airports and the decades old cuts to customs officers/systems means that there may very well be an ugly transition period.

Actually, I don't feel (or predict.) it will be noticed much in the immediacy when Brexit actually happens... It will be a while later after the 52% marking the "wrong box" have forgotten why the decline. But then all this will be in the lap of a new government... ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Actually, I don't feel (or predict.) it will be noticed much in the immediacy when Brexit actually happens... It will be a while later after the 52% marking the "wrong box" have forgotten why the decline. But then all this will be in the lap of a new government... ;)

Fingers crossed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going on the bad experience I had with pi Lantus, night time injection, 27 waking blood, heavy day bolussing, change cartridge and woke to a 27, Polish meds with a Spanish sticker overstuck with English, I got a new script, Spanish stickers on Polish packaging and woke with a blood of 27, got a new script, went to Boots for the new script, woke with a blood of 6.

My script notes say not to offer pi....

I hear you brother.. But I found Lantus in some batches was unstable at room temp at around halfway down the cartridge.. A change from the same box in the fridge corrected my issue. & oddly I could finish the container without issue. Then a few boxes later, guess what..

You realy don't want "temps" dealing with your "slin" in the UK.. That's what happens when labour is short. I know first hand...

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear you brother.. But I found Lantus in some batches was unstable at room temp at around halfway down the cartridge.. A change from the same box in the fridge corrected my issue. & oddly I could finish the container without issue. Then a few boxes later, guess what..

You realy don't want "temps" dealing with your "slin" in the UK.. That's what happens when labour is short. I know first hand...
Agreed on it failing halfway down the pen at times, it was the reason I lost trust in it, wake with a blood of 20, larger breakfast bolus, drop to 6 eat and spike, dodgy Lantus days, but no, this was new and didn't work, at the end of the day I'd rather request a source I'm happy with rather than one that makes the pharmacy company more money through exchange rates, which is what pi is about.
Lilly, Novo Nordisk and Sanofi won't open plants over here, not worth it for the amount the country uses I did read.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't see the shipping of insulin from mainland Europe as any different.
You did say you have problems with your vision but you did not mention myopia insulin is not cornflakes or electrical goods for some including several members of my family it's life or death, and you your self Jay no offence intended bytw if every thing is good and so simple why do you think stockpiling by government agencies is taking place .

Oh I worked as an engineer I was the one who determined what product went where and to which client company depending on multiple customer specs on the same product , for a company that produced voltage dependent resistors for lightning protection for power grids all over the world from Australia to South Africa and the USA so I do have a little experience of production of and exporting of goods.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all of you people voted NO to Brexit, as it seems as it is coming home to roost and bite all of the YES voters, insulin users or not, on the ****.
And it will continue to do so for many years. I blame the Remain campaign for this. It was weak and didn't go far enough into the problems we would have when Brexit happened. Remainers didn't believe the unthinkable would happen, and so they let it happen by their own complacency and incompetence. Then there's the media who were happy to jump on the 'British jobs for British workers' band wagon. Trouble is we don't have enough British workers. On average last year EU workers contributed £2310 each to the treasury, non EU workers cost the country an average of £680 each. The media portrayed all migrant workers as benefit scroungers and the uninformed electorate was happy to believe this. Things will get worse before they get better and I don't believe they will get better in my life time. Maybe there's hope for my children's generation.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We've been through this a couple of times. We don't make any analogue insulin in the UK, only Porcine as mentioned, and even then, only enough for a couple of thousand people, so setting up plant in the UK is not an option. It also costs billions that would not be recouped by the manufacturer. What happened before the EU? We extracted our own Porcine and Bovine insulin because Human Insulin wasn't available. (https://www.diabettech.com/brexit/f...n-to-insulin-and-brexit-should-we-be-worried/)

In terms of temperature controlled distribution, we worked out that a refrigeration lorry with a full fuel tank on arriving in a customs queue at Dover would need to be there for two weeks or more before there was an issue with the insulin it was carrying. It seems unlikely that even in the worst case, stuff would be stuck at the Dover Calais border for that long, so I don't think supply will be anywhere near as badly affected as people think.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I blame the Remain campaign for this. It was weak and didn't go far enough into the problems we would have when Brexit happened. Remainers didn't believe the unthinkable would happen, and so they let it happen by their own complacency and incompetence.
When you're promised the land of milk and honey, and the issues with Brexit are all dismissed as "Project Fear" and experts are dismissed precisely because they know what they're talking about, no amount of fact based campaigning works.

Leave won because there has been little "good press" for the EU over the past forty years, and a lot of that is down to government and Boris never wanting to admit to its benefits. And of course because we have a lot of people for whom "plucky britain" doesn't need the EU. Very much a case of "What have the Romans ever done for us?".

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Tell that to the NHS as they are stockpiling for all they are worth.

By the way how much insulin is produced in the UK ?

Sir Michael Rawlins, the chair of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, told the Pharmaceutical Journal on Friday:

“We make no insulin in the UK. We import every drop of it. You can’t transport insulin around ordinarily because it must be temperature-controlled. And there are 3.5 million people [with diabetes, some of whom] rely on insulin, not least the Prime Minister.”

So I wouldn't get too complacent if you depend on insulin
What a horrid thing for Rawlins to say. Complacency indeed, either he doesn't like the PM, diabetics in general or both.

Reactions: kev-w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It seems unlikely that even in the worst case, stuff would be stuck at the Dover Calais border for that long, so I don't think supply will be anywhere near as badly affected as people think.
I hope to god you are right in that but we don't know what major disruptions may in fact take place so a refrigeration lorry in the worst case scenario could keep it's engine running in order to maintain temperature control for up to two weeks on a full tank multiply that by how many lorries sitting with engine running for how long as is necessary and now if you would please calculate the rise in air pollution due to the release of particulates by said lorries.

1 August 2018
The government has proposed turning the M20 into a giant lorry park as a “temporary solution” to trade border congestion caused by a no-deal Brexit.

An impact assessment by Dover District Council, released under freedom of information law, reveals that a 13-mile coast-bound stretch of the motorway will be “earmarked” to be turned into a 2,000-vehicle lorry park.

It said the plan “needs to be delivered” before changes to customs arrangements in March 2019, but the start date for road works has not been announced. “There does not appear to be a Plan B,” the report said.

Called Operation Brock, the park is described as an “interim plan”. Nevertheless, the report predicts it will be “many years” before a permanent solution is found, and says that Highways England will spend £25m on the operation.

The current transport infrastructure, it added, is “insufficient to respond to changing border arrangements”, with the number of HGVs passing through expected to increase by 43% by 2030, to 3.8m using Dover each year.

The document also predicts that Border Inspection Posts (BIP), required for the inspection of food imports and exports, would need to be installed at Dover port and the Channel Tunnel.

Last month, a London School of Economics report found that every seven extra minutes of port check times would add 10 hours to transportation times

And that is concerning food items checks may be different for medical supplies may be quicker but I suspect not.

https://www.cips.org/en-GB/supply-m...otorway-to-become-giant-temporary-lorry-park/

I had this conversation with a friend who is insulin dependent and an ardent brexiteer over 12 months ago I feel no easier in my mind over this vexing problem now than I did then.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last week I saw an article saying Theresa May can’t guaranteed secure medicine..
Do you have a link to that article by any chance?
Can’t link it but google “Theresa May can’t guarantee medicine supply post-Brexit” it’s a Sky article.
The Sky article can't be accessed now, but there is a link to a Mirror report.
May was asked if medical supplies will be guaranteed, she doesn't actually reply but says she is working for 'a good deal' - ie politician's reply:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-fails-guarantee-medicine-can-13513224

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
now if you would please calculate the rise in air pollution due to the release of particulates by said lorries.
That wasn't the question ;)

But in response to the OP's original question, given that response, if you live in Kent, it seems you may die a little sooner than if you don't live by the Lorry park....

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The Sky article can't be accessed now, but there is a link to a Mirror report.
May was asked if medical supplies will be guaranteed, she doesn't actually reply but says she is working for 'a good deal' - ie politician's reply:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-fails-guarantee-medicine-can-13513224

Thanks Prem, I am having trouble loading the video, but will try again a little later. Theresa May can't guarantee medical supplies, because she just doesn't know (but MP's are cagey enough at the best of times)

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m scared, I’m only 19 and my life is at risk because of some vote. What do you think will happen post-Brexit? Will we run out of supplies?

Hi @SeanJ_99 I can understand your concern, you are only 19 and worried about your future ( as others do and I hope you will have a long and a healthy future) All we can do is wait and see what will happen and hope ( and crossing everything) that the deal will not jeopardise any type of essential and life saving medical supplies coming into our country.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tiny amounts, though. And I’m allergic to anything from pigs!

Hate to disagree, but since lowering my carbs I’ve almost halved my basal requirement from 42u to 25u daily. And my bolus has gone from 30u a day to less than 5u.

I only have 10 units of basal per day anyway and about 20 to 25 bolus over three meals. I only get 1 box of NovoRapid, so I am going to ask for another 2 boxes for my repeat prescription, whether I will get that or not, will be in the hands of my GP :rolleyes:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You did say you have problems with your vision but you did not mention myopia insulin is not cornflakes or electrical goods for some including several members of my family it's life or death, and you your self Jay no offence intended bytw if every thing is good and so simple why do you think stockpiling by government agencies is taking place .

Oh I worked as an engineer I was the one who determined what product went where and to which client company depending on multiple customer specs on the same product , for a company that produced voltage dependent resistors for lightning protection for power grids all over the world from Australia to South Africa and the USA so I do have a little experience of production of and exporting of goods.

Owch! Bit heavy on the first sentence John. o_O
The young man starting this thread has a concern regarding the availability of his meds, once the deed is done on Brexit.
Then another member mentioned an experience with a dodgy imported batch.. As we all now it's all imported because we have no facility in the UK..

I've taken no offence, we've met & had some great discussions. :)
Interesting you used "myopia." I mentioned earlier in the thread about looking further ahead...?

Insulin, muesli, dust busters, or epoxy resins.. You are always going to get the odd "red tagged" Friday nighter on the mass produced.. (Or even variables intervening from elsewhere, like a leaky warehouse roof?) There are practices & implemented procedures in place to limit these events..

Of course, I'm no "Nostradamus." But I'm confident I can survive on porcine.. Back to the good old days. :banghead: