Coffee

Cbmod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well today my blood sugar didn't rise at all from my coffee, and then stayed great all day. I give up trying to predict what is going to happen when it changes daily!

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a T1 diabetic for nearly 40yrs so hopefully I have a bit of sense lol. When it comes to coffee, I've basically thrown out the laws of control. I absolutely love a fresh coffee and always make myself a Costa cappuccino on my De'Longhi machine every morning after walking my dog. I usually have to inject 3 to 5 units of Fiasp insulin to counteract my sizeable spike in BG levels after having a cup and have basically come to accept that that's the price I pay for my coffee fix. I just feel it's down to an adrenalin rush from the caffeine. So anyway, that works for me and now you know you're not the only one it happens to :)
clear.png

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone worked out a decent strategy to deal with the effect of coffee on blood sugar? It doesn't appear to matter if it is with or without milk, and the effect on my blood sugar varies completely so I would rather avoid giving insulin for it if possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I found ground coffee with hot milk or cappuccino put y sugar up. However black coffee or black coffee with cream made no difference at all.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink decaf instant with milk twice a day.Cannot tell the effect because have never tested BG after coffee because if there is any effect on BG, it is temporary and a few milliliters of milk cannot kill me.
I think meticulous counting of carbohydrates in a few drops of milk eventually leads to burnout.
I suppose all of us adopted healthy low carb diet as our new way of life and let`s not exaggerate.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your inputs! I wonder if there is a relationship between not eating breakfast and having a coffee spike? I don't eat breakfast, I just have my coffee in the morning. I have played around with skipping coffee- I don't spike, black coffee and coffee with full fat milk -both of which spike me. This suggests that it is the coffee and not dawn phenomenon. Cutting out the caffeine isn't ideal too, as I pretty much need it to function! I also don't have a strict morning routine (I work in a very chill place) so can't include it in my basal rate. I wonder though- I do use a pod machine. I suppose it is possible they could be adding something else to the pods.

Check the ingredients, quite often you'll find something that causes a spike, if not sugar, then some derivative of it, or a starch, which has the same effect. Also, some of us don't react that well to caffeine.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Check the ingredients, quite often you'll find something that causes a spike, if not sugar, then some derivative of it, or a starch, which has the same effect. Also, some of us don't react that well to caffeine.

I'd get rid of the milk as well, it still has lactose, the milk sugar in it, which could be responsible alone for a spike. I enjoy coffee with full fat double cream, delicious! Plus the extra fat helps stop BS rising so fast.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been a T1 diabetic for nearly 40yrs so hopefully I have a bit of sense lol. When it comes to coffee, I've basically thrown out the laws of control. I absolutely love a fresh coffee and always make myself a Costa cappuccino on my De'Longhi machine every morning after walking my dog. I usually have to inject 3 to 5 units of Fiasp insulin to counteract my sizeable spike in BG levels after having a cup and have basically come to accept that that's the price I pay for my coffee fix. I just feel it's down to an adrenalin rush from the caffeine. So anyway, that works for me and now you know you're not the only one it happens to :)
clear.png

if you always have this rise after morning coffee and the walk, could it be the walk which causes the rise? I know it can with some diabetics! I'm one.

TCC101

Hi guys, I've never had any issues when drinking coffee, I've actually got a website that sells coffee & there's flavoured coffee too without any added sugar obviously, check it out if you are interested there are all sorts of cool coffee variants too not just flavoured coffee, just Google The Coffee Connect! :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Has anyone worked out a decent strategy to deal with the effect of coffee on blood sugar? It doesn't appear to matter if it is with or without milk, and the effect on my blood sugar varies completely so I would rather avoid giving insulin for it if possible! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Coffee raises my blood sugar by 1 mmol/l. I drink it when my blood sugars are too low. I take a correction for it in the morning for breakfast.