1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coffee

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Cbmod, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4 ish espressos a day, avoid milk. jobs a gudden, does nowt to my bsl's

2. Cbmod

Cbmod Type 1 · Member

Well today my blood sugar didn't rise at all from my coffee, and then stayed great all day. I give up trying to predict what is going to happen when it changes daily!

3. Chris Bowsher

Chris Bowsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very sensible

4. Gary61

Gary61 Type 1 · Active Member

I've been a T1 diabetic for nearly 40yrs so hopefully I have a bit of sense lol. When it comes to coffee, I've basically thrown out the laws of control. I absolutely love a fresh coffee and always make myself a Costa cappuccino on my De'Longhi machine every morning after walking my dog. I usually have to inject 3 to 5 units of Fiasp insulin to counteract my sizeable spike in BG levels after having a cup and have basically come to accept that that's the price I pay for my coffee fix. I just feel it's down to an adrenalin rush from the caffeine. So anyway, that works for me and now you know you're not the only one it happens to :) [​IMG].

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I found ground coffee with hot milk or cappuccino put y sugar up. However black coffee or black coffee with cream made no difference at all.

6. ivan 2

ivan 2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I drink decaf instant with milk twice a day.Cannot tell the effect because have never tested BG after coffee because if there is any effect on BG, it is temporary and a few milliliters of milk cannot kill me.
    I think meticulous counting of carbohydrates in a few drops of milk eventually leads to burnout.
    I suppose all of us adopted healthy low carb diet as our new way of life and let`s not exaggerate.

7. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Check the ingredients, quite often you'll find something that causes a spike, if not sugar, then some derivative of it, or a starch, which has the same effect. Also, some of us don't react that well to caffeine.

8. Zilsniggy

I'd get rid of the milk as well, it still has lactose, the milk sugar in it, which could be responsible alone for a spike. I enjoy coffee with full fat double cream, delicious! Plus the extra fat helps stop BS rising so fast.

9. Zilsniggy

if you always have this rise after morning coffee and the walk, could it be the walk which causes the rise? I know it can with some diabetics! I'm one.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook