Christmas cake

Peacefulannie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a substitute for dark muscovado sugar,? or have a diabetic friendly recipie for a Christmas cake please?
Thanks in advance.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Christmas cake is made with dried fruit, possibly the worst fruit one could eat as a person with Type 2 Diabetes. You would need an alternative flour, an alternative dark sugar and an alternative to dried fruit.

I would make a real Christmas cake but have just a sliver of it with a lot of double cream after having a low carb Christmas dinner.

Reactions: eddie07

Tunnell74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a substitute for dark muscovado sugar,? or have a diabetic friendly recipie for a Christmas cake please?
Thanks in advance.
Sugar can be used but not be granulated it must be caster sugar. Granules do not dissolve in side the body and causes the trouble but Caster sugar is a powder and does dissolve.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar can be used but not be granulated it must be caster sugar. Granules do not dissolve in side the body and causes the trouble but Caster sugar is a powder and does dissolve.

Hello Tunnell - My understanding of how sugar works in our bodies is at odds with yours. To my understanding all sugars dissolve in our digestive system, and some very quickly indeed, which would naturally increase our blood sugars.

Do you have any links to research articles or publications to support your understanding?

Reactions: karen8967

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite agree. Sugar irrespective of composition is converted by the body to glucose from my understanding.
Will love to hear more.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar, regardless of composition is a carbohydrate. Our bodies process it as carbohydrate. Sugar is sucrose, and is absorbed rapidly, so yes, your understanding of it, is at best confused.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone wanting an alternative for Demerara or muscovado could have a look at Sukrin Gold.

The only place I have ever seen it on sale is Amazon.

As for a DIY replacement, you could use a white sugar substitute and then add a v small amount of molasses.

Molasses (black treacle) is just the very concentrated brown ‘stuff’ that is extracted from brown sugar to make white. You would effectively be remixing it back to its original colour. Might take some research to find out how much to use though.

lindisfel

Expert
Black treacle! Ugh. It makes cakes taste as if they are burnt. One either likes it or finds it obnoxious.
The Christmases I needed to eat a lot of icing to get rid of that clinging taste. :) ;)
D.