nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
So... I went to the doctor this week, with a droopy cheek, dribbly mouth and a non-blinking right eye. As it was a slowish onset I didn't think I'd had a stroke and was duly started treatment for Bell's Palsy. A quick trawl round the boards here shows that many of us have suffered this and in some cases, link their T2 directly to the treatment. I was given Corticosteroids (Prednisolone) 50mg per day and Aciclovir 2000mg per day.
As I suspect is common, my blood sugar levels rocketed immediately from my usual 5.8's to above 10 mmol/L. Those of you who have used steroids (not you obviously @Sean01 !) can you please reassure that once I've ditched these things, that normal service will resume? And does anyone know how long I have to tape my eye shut, as I'm going to visit my grandson in a couple of weeks and don't want to look like a zombie pirate? :jimlad:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nomoredonuts . Not the best of times for you.
As for steroids. I’ve had a few steroid injections in the past ( purely medicinal ) . My sugars were affected for maybe a few days possibly a week as best I can remember. Not sure if this is of any help.
As for the zombie pirate......what grandson ain’t gonna want a “ zombie pirate grandad? “ :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

And does anyone know how long I have to tape my eye shut, as I'm going to visit my grandson in a couple of weeks and don't want to look like a zombie pirate? :jimlad:
Why not get a piratey eye patch and be the coolest pirate granddad without the zombie part? They should be really cheap now halloween is over :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a steroid injection in one foot last Xmas whilst having major surgery on my other foot at the same time. The combination of that lot put my usually in the 5s levels up to a maximum of 10.2 immediately post op. It took about a week to 10 days for levels to revert to normal.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a steroid injection in one foot last Xmas whilst having major surgery on my other foot at the same time. The combination of that lot put my usually in the 5s levels up to a maximum of 10.2 immediately post op. It took about a week to 10 days for levels to revert to normal.

I can live with that, I think. Shame I'm due for an HbA1c. But I think my DN will be sympathetic.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Why not get a piratey eye patch and be the coolest pirate granddad without the zombie part? They should be really cheap now halloween is over :)

Great minds! I had a CN3 palsy of the same eye in 2016 and spent a week with him in Portugal wearing an eyepatch even on the beach. I let him choose the patch-du-jour and made a game of it!

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have steroid induced type 2. When I first went on prednisolone 12years ago my GP warned me that I might get steroid induced diabetes which might, or might not reverse when I came off the prednisolone. I developed type 2 about 3 years ago.
I’ve tested my BS quite a bit and as well as the long term effects I think there is a short term effect of raising BS. I take my daily dose after breakfast, and no matter what I eat my BS will rise after lunch. My prednisolone tablets are slow release so I’ve come to the conclusion that the predisolone is having a direct effect.

So, as you have taken steroids for a short time it could be that once you are off them your BS will return to the normal range. Fingers crossed.
I’d been on them 9 years before they brought on the diabetes 2.

When you are on high doses of steroids (and 50 mg is high dose), you have to be very careful that you follow the instructions from the Dr about reducing the dose. Sometimes with a short course the advice will be to drop down the dose quickly, but if you have a longer course you have to come down slowly. I once was in hospital, and they hadn’t written up my drugs properly and wouldn’t give me my daily 15 mg. I told the staff nurse if she wouldn’t give them me that I’d be a gibbering wreck by lunchtime. That was exactly what happened! Every one is different, but you need to follow the medical advice about reducing, don’t try to go cold turkey.

S

Sean01

@nomoredonuts - sorry to hear this.....another complication to look out for. I use ventalin for asthma. I don't like using it, but I'm on it right now due to the change in the weather - just for a few weeks. As for the eye patch - go the whole way - plenty of pirate outfits out there go full on zombie! Take care

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have steroid induced type 2. When I first went on prednisolone 12years ago my GP warned me that I might get steroid induced diabetes which might, or might not reverse when I came off the prednisolone. I developed type 2 about 3 years ago.
I’ve tested my BS quite a bit and as well as the long term effects I think there is a short term effect of raising BS. I take my daily dose after breakfast, and no matter what I eat my BS will rise after lunch. My prednisolone tablets are slow release so I’ve come to the conclusion that the predisolone is having a direct effect.

So, as you have taken steroids for a short time it could be that once you are off them your BS will return to the normal range. Fingers crossed.
I’d been on them 9 years before they brought on the diabetes 2.

When you are on high doses of steroids (and 50 mg is high dose), you have to be very careful that you follow the instructions from the Dr about reducing the dose. Sometimes with a short course the advice will be to drop down the dose quickly, but if you have a longer course you have to come down slowly. I once was in hospital, and they hadn’t written up my drugs properly and wouldn’t give me my daily 15 mg. I told the staff nurse if she wouldn’t give them me that I’d be a gibbering wreck by lunchtime. That was exactly what happened! Every one is different, but you need to follow the medical advice about reducing, don’t try to go cold turkey.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @MargaretR
You are exactly the person I was hoping to discover on the forum. You have the experience, the wise words and the shred of comfort I was seeking. Thanks.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts - sorry to hear this.....another complication to look out for. I use ventalin for asthma. I don't like using it, but I'm on it right now due to the change in the weather - just for a few weeks. As for the eye patch - go the whole way - plenty of pirate outfits out there go full on zombie! Take care
Thanks buddy! The little lad is 9 now, moved to Madrid and will probably have his nose in an iPhone game the whole time I'm there! Probably worrying about nothing. Good luck on the 25th!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just a thought. Where is all this excess sugar coming from? (My liver obviously). But I'm still low-carbing even more strictly than normal. Could this be the equivalent of intermittent fasting where I might actually be doing some long-term good? Can I exercise the excess off?

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought. Where is all this excess sugar coming from? (My liver obviously). But I'm still low-carbing even more strictly than normal. Could this be the equivalent of intermittent fasting where I might actually be doing some long-term good? Can I exercise the excess off?
Don't quote me on this but I was always taught that steroid increases insulin resistance which is why the sugars go up? And regarding your previous post, I look after a lot of patients for whom steroid is often given as rescue therapy during flares and normally the blood glucose levels return to normal after, unless they were an undiagnosed diabetic beforehand. Depends on the length of treatment but bells palsy treatment is usually time limited so you should see a gradual improvement as the dose reduces. Good luck for your recovery.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, can’t answer your questions, except to say that hopefully your Bells Palsy will resolve long before you experience any long term effects.

Will tag in @JohnEGreen who also has experience of steroids and T2.

One thing, though, I do think we need a suitably piratical pic. Possibly even a new avatar... seems only appropriate :D:jimlad::D

Reactions: Diakat
D

Deleted Account

I hope your title to this thread is meant to be humorous.
Taking steroids to cure a condition like Bells Palsy is definitely not abuse.
Unfortunately, there are times we need to do things which affect our BG for the “greater good” of our bodies and/or lives and/or family. There’s no point beating ourselves up because our BG goes up whilst we are treating something else.
Hope you feel better (Bells Palsy and inflated BG) soon.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Sorry to hear about that, my friend. Hopefully it'll pass in a short time. How's your eye feeling? I know dry eyes can be a pain with Bell's. There are bandages you can use (called a moisture chamber) to reduce evaporation of tears.
https://www.good-lite.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=809
Hope it helps! And good luck with the treatment!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't quote me on this but I was always taught that steroid increases insulin resistance which is why the sugars go up? And regarding your previous post, I look after a lot of patients for whom steroid is often given as rescue therapy during flares and normally the blood glucose levels return to normal after, unless they were an undiagnosed diabetic beforehand. Depends on the length of treatment but bells palsy treatment is usually time limited so you should see a gradual improvement as the dose reduces. Good luck for your recovery.
Thanks @Lally123 I'll do some googling and see what I can find. x

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear about that, my friend. Hopefully it'll pass in a short time. How's your eye feeling? I know dry eyes can be a pain with Bell's. There are bandages you can use (called a moisture chamber) to reduce evaporation of tears.
https://www.good-lite.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=809
Hope it helps! And good luck with the treatment!
I'm pulling off the tape every now and then to give the eye a rest, but I have to manually blink it with my fingers!!