9.7 Reading Help

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey 10 minutes ago i had a reading of 9.8 possible I have ony had a little tuna ALL DAY and having even eaten apart from the tuna, how is this reading even possible. i Thought maybe a dody strip so retried but was still 9.2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey 10 minutes ago i had a reading of 9.8 possible I have ony had a little tuna ALL DAY and having even eaten apart from the tuna, how is this reading even possible. i Thought maybe a dody strip so retried but was still 9.2
Possibly a liver dump. Mine can hit nine's too sometimes when unchecked...

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont know your meds but blood glucose is weird animal, the more you test, the weirder it gets, I had a 2am spike of 15 the other night for no reason, hadnt eaten since dinner at 6pm, I personally wouldnt worry about a rogue spike

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont know your meds but blood glucose is weird animal, the more you test, the weirder it gets, I had a 2am spike of 15 the other night for no reason, hadnt eaten since dinner at 6pm, I personally wouldnt worry about a rogue spike

Yesterday it was 6.9 i got up was 7.8 had tuna tested now and its 9.7 im at wits end lol

But im on m1 metformin have been for last 8 weeks tried taking it to 1 day one night but the side effects were unreasl so went back down to one

I shoud be on 1 for a week upped to 1 morning one night, week later 2 morning one night and then week later keping at 2 morning 2 night but the side effects are too bad.

As im only taking one could that also be why im still getting fairly high readings?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday it was 6.9 i got up was 7.8 had tuna tested now and its 9.7 im at wits end lol
Keep testing in case it keeping going up, youve got along way to go before you have to worry though, this is not medical advice but personally I dont worry until its 25 so you have some room hehe

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep testing in case it keeping going up, youve got along way to go before you have to worry though, this is not medical advice but personally I dont worry until its 25 so you have some room hehe

Thank you :) thats made me feel a little better :) also i have edited my post to show you what meds im on

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :) thats made me feel a little better :) also i have edited my post to show you what meds im on
Have you tried the slow release metformin? They are so much gentler on the tummy but you have to ask, they cost more so they dont like giving them to you

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But that only happens in Mornings, Its 5.2 here, Can it raise my blood sugar cause i've only eaten some tuna all day?
Dawn Phenomenon happens in the morning, and that's a liver dump... But not all liver dumps are dawn phenomenon and thus limited to waking. If your liver thinks your BS should be higher because that's what it's used to, it could keep dumping. Happens to me sometimes, and I can hit a nine myself when I do. I usually use it as an excellent excuse to have some extra dark chocolate. I have about 2 grams of carbs and that's normally enough for my liver to get the message and knock it off. I don't know whether the metformin is doing anything as I'm not well-versed in the stuff. It made me so ill I made it my goal in life to go without it a.s.a.p., so I've been diet-controlled for 2 years now. Sorry.

Reactions: neithskye

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

But im on m1 metformin have been for last 8 weeks tried taking it to 1 day one night but the side effects were unreasl so went back down to one

I shoud be on 1 for a week upped to 1 morning one night, week later 2 morning one night and then week later keping at 2 morning 2 night but the side effects are too bad.

As im only taking one could that also be why im still getting fairly high readings?
Oh, and metformin has fewer sideeffect when taken with food, I hear a lot... Dunno whether the met went with the tuna, but it's something to consider.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say a "little tuna" can you be more specific? Tinned, fresh or what?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tinned tuna in sprnig water
Ok so pretty unlikely the cause.. are you feeling ok? Temperature, feeling sick? higher bloods can often be a sign of impending illness..
As others have said if you haven't eaten anything else it could be that your liver is taking the opportunity to dump some excess glucose to clear itself out a bit. As you are fairly recently diagnosed I'm imagining this may be the case.. keep an eye on it but don't worry too much (that will just make your bloods go higher.. maybe try some cheese or something fatty and see if that helps.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so pretty unlikely the cause.. are you feeling ok? Temperature, feeling sick? higher bloods can often be a sign of impending illness..
As others have said if you haven't eaten anything else it could be that your liver is taking the opportunity to dump some excess glucose to clear itself out a bit. As you are fairly recently diagnosed I'm imagining this may be the case.. keep an eye on it but don't worry too much (that will just make your bloods go higher.. maybe try some cheese or something fatty and see if that helps.

I had a cheese and wholemeal wrap around an hour ago and there now 8.5 they have went down 1.2 even tho i ate, make no sense lol also can bloods raise if you have a cold i keep sneezing and have a major sore throat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a cheese and wholemeal wrap around an hour ago and there now 8.5 they have went down 1.2 even tho i ate, make no sense lol also can bloods raise if you have a cold i keep sneezing and have a major sore throat
Yep they sure can.. If you're ill your bloods are highly likely to be higher. Keep warm.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Yup. Infection can raise bg levels as the body needs more energy to fight off the lurgy.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Did you try a retest when it was 9.2? I had a shocking 9.6 the other day and thought it couldn’t possibly be right. Tested again and it was 7.5 - still high but don’t necessarily believe a high reading.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But not all liver dumps are dawn phenomenon and thus limited to waking. If your liver thinks your BS should be higher because that's what it's used to, it could keep dumping.
It's an intriguing and sometimes baffling subject. I went on a long walk with my adult son over the last week - approx 15 kilometers a day. I was only eating once a day in the evening. My BS always starts high-ish in the morning (around 7-8) and then goes down during the day, often provoked by some exercise (cycling). With the long distance walking it was going up to 9.8 or at the highest 10.2 and staying there all day. The only glucose intake would be from the milk in my tea! I'd love to understand it better.