Extended fasting

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker @eddie07 What I don't really understand is that very low cal like ND is harmful because you don't get enough nutrients
Whole food plant based is harmful because you don't get all the necessary nutrients.
Yet starving yourself for a week is OK? What about nutrients? I am sure I would catch the first cold going if I fasted for more than a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker @eddie07 What I don't really understand is that very low cal like ND is harmful because you don't get enough nutrients
Whole food plant based is harmful because you don't get all the necessary nutrients.
Yet starving yourself for a week is OK? What about nutrients? I am sure I would catch the first cold going if I fasted for more than a day.
Your body does quite amazing things when not worried about processing food. Metabolic boosts, autophagy all sorts of wonderful things..almost magical.
Also of course ND is for 2 months of starvation by dramatic calorie reduction whereas feasting, fasting then feasting again for a much shorter time is beneficial rather than harmful.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 6 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 3.8. Weight 61.0kg BMI 21.1 Fat 25.8%
Yesterday Thursday walked 5.4 miles and burnt 2164 calories
Consumed 291 calories consisting of fat 27g carbs 3.8g and proteins 5.2g.
Black coffee 6 mugs butter 33g bone broth 320g.
Late afternoon yesterday my energy levels decreased and I had to rest as couldn't move.
Hunger manageable.
Today no longer hungry and energy levels returned.
Feelings of calmness and serenity less irritable.
Not decided if I'll break the fast tomorrow or Sunday.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 6 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 3.8. Weight 61.0kg BMI 21.1 Fat 25.8%
Yesterday Thursday walked 5.4 miles and burnt 2164 calories
Consumed 291 calories consisting of fat 27g carbs 3.8g and proteins 5.2g.
Black coffee 6 mugs butter 33g bone broth 320g.
Late afternoon yesterday my energy levels decreased and I had to rest as couldn't move.
Hunger manageable.
Today no longer hungry and energy levels returned.
Feelings of calmness and serenity less irritable.
Not decided if I'll break the fast tomorrow or Sunday.
FBG 3.8 wow nice..

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course glucose levels fell when people were starved. Of course they lost weight. That's not rocket science is it? I am surprised anyone even bothered to study that. :rolleyes:

Our continued lack of understanding and appreciation of the effects of fasting and preference for pharma driven solution is probably why chronic healthcare is poised to bankrupt nations around the world.

Last edited:

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 7 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 4.0. Weight 60.9kg BMI 21.1 Fat 25.8 %.
Yesterday Friday walked 5.4 miles and burnt 2194 calories.
Consumed 237 calories consisting of fat 20.5g carbs 4.0g and proteins 5.0g.
Black coffee 5 mugs sea salt 4g apple cider vinegar 22g butter 25g and bone broth 343g.
Yesterday afternoon was tough as energy levels were low and felt flat. Feelings of hunger not too bad.
Today energy levels good and no feelings of hunger so maybe carry on with the fast a while longer though my partner is vehemently opposed to the idea.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 7 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 4.0. Weight 60.9kg BMI 21.1 Fat 25.8 %.
Yesterday Friday walked 5.4 miles and burnt 2194 calories.
Consumed 237 calories consisting of fat 20.5g carbs 4.0g and proteins 5.0g.
Black coffee 5 mugs sea salt 4g apple cider vinegar 22g butter 25g and bone broth 343g.
Yesterday afternoon was tough as energy levels were low and felt flat. Feelings of hunger not too bad.
Today energy levels good and no feelings of hunger so maybe carry on with the fast a while longer though my partner is vehemently opposed to the idea.

Other than weight loss, keep in mind that waist loss counts too...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are getting pretty close to your target weight. All the best.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 8 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 4.7 Weight 60.6kg BMI 21.0 Fat 25.5 %. Waist reduced by 5cm down to 88cm.
Yesterday Saturday walked 6.98 miles nearly 7 better than previous days so energy levels increased. Burnt 2448 calories.
Consumed 371 calories fat 25g carbs 16.5g and proteins 14.6g.
5 mugs butter 23g broth 392g yoghurt 152g sea salt 4g apple cider vinegar 16g.
Yesterday afternoon was when energy levels dropped off consequently ate some home made yoghurt.
So technically I broke my fast yesterday but today will be the first day of eating 3 meals starting with yoghurt to replace the low gut microbes followed by eggs and salad for lunch and fried cabbage for dinner.
Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on day 8 of liquid only fasting.
FBG 4.7 Weight 60.6kg BMI 21.0 Fat 25.5 %. Waist reduced by 5cm down to 88cm.
Yesterday Saturday walked 6.98 miles nearly 7 better than previous days so energy levels increased. Burnt 2448 calories.
Consumed 371 calories fat 25g carbs 16.5g and proteins 14.6g.
5 mugs butter 23g broth 392g yoghurt 152g sea salt 4g apple cider vinegar 16g.
Yesterday afternoon was when energy levels dropped off consequently ate some home made yoghurt.
So technically I broke my fast yesterday but today will be the first day of eating 3 meals starting with yoghurt to replace the low gut microbes followed by eggs and salad for lunch and fried cabbage for dinner.
Have a lovely Sunday everyone.
Brilliant results and well done for sticking it out.
I'm just starting today but may be a little less extreme..already had milk in my tea!

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results and well done for sticking it out.
I'm just starting today but may be a little less extreme..already had milk in my tea!
Great keep us posted on your progress.
I'll summarise the results once I have time.
For the moment really pleased with the results.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update post long term fasting impact
Today Monday 5th November: FBG 5.9.
Weight 61.7kg BMI 21.3 fat 26.1%
Yesterday Sunday walked 6.0 miles. Burnt 2399 calories.
Consumed 2237 calories consisting of fats 178g carbs 77g and proteins 76g.
Not too surprised on the numbers and weight gain. Most of the damage from peanuts and yoghurt which is high in carbohydrates.

Reactions: zand

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Knowledge is power! And a way to avoid nasty consequences like hypokalemia, hyponatremia, anemia, and of course hypoglycemia. They're bad. Especially in combination, as in slipping quietly into a coma.

Luckily in the developed world, we're generally surrounded by nutrients. So a calorie restricted diet like ND could include vitamins and minerals in the diet, or be supplemented with a simple multi-vitamin pill. Same with extreme vegetarianism or veganism, but from memory it's mostly thiamine missing from that. Or to counter, someone on the carnivore diet might miss out on vitamin C and become a crusty carnivore.

Luckily we can also find the info we need to create a nutritionally complete, yet reduced calorie diet to support weight loss, or counteract possible issues during extended fasting.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scurvy knave! Or navel? :)

It's suprising that a first-world problem is still manutrition/vitamin deficiency that's easily avoided, ie vitamin D, C, B1 etc..
And malnutrition is another cause of obesity. If someone lives on junk food and doesn't get enough nutrients then they can crave more food and get ever fatter yet malnourished at the same time.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And malnutrition is another cause of obesity. If someone lives on junk food and doesn't get enough nutrients then they can crave more food and get ever fatter yet malnourished at the same time.

Agreed. I think it's a societal problem. We've evolved so our body can signal when it wants nutrients, even to the extent of the occasional odd food craving a pregnant woman may feel. Then we're surrounded by adverts for brightly packaged foods containing empty carbs to eat and still feel hungry.

But that's why I like fasting, as at least for me it seems to have given my body a bit of a reboot so I can appreciate food more.

Reactions: zand

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed. I think it's a societal problem. We've evolved so our body can signal when it wants nutrients, even to the extent of the occasional odd food craving a pregnant woman may feel. Then we're surrounded by adverts for brightly packaged foods containing empty carbs to eat and still feel hungry.

But that's why I like fasting, as at least for me it seems to have given my body a bit of a reboot so I can appreciate food more.
I think the link between feelings of hunger and automatically reaching for a snack or mealtimes have been broken after my extended fast.
Don't need breakfast or lunch but start to feel hungry around 5ish in the afternoon.
If I don't snack on peanuts whilst watching TV my total calories can be quite low.
But some peanuts and a few glasses of wine in the evening soon adds up.