T2 vs T1 stigma - anyone else feel a bit 'shamed' for having T2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Mornin' folks,

So in the past month since diagnosis I've been on various forums, specifically fitness diabetic ones and I can't help but feel that there seems to be a little bit of attitude about T2s and it being 'all your own fault'. There's a certain stigma associated to diabetes and it seems quite blame-game if you're not T1.

Now, I'm certainly not proud of diagnosis of T2 but it is what it is, I'll take accountability, but I'm far from being the stereotyped vision some of the world has about T2s - ie, someone sat on a sofa just vaccuming bad food down her throat 24/7 whilst watching Jeremy Kyle re-runs (nothing wrong with that, for folks who watch Jezza, by the way). But this negative attitude to T2s is ******* me off, to be quite honest. In so much that social media is absolutely littered with folks posting pictures, and also being blatantly proud, of their social drinking, binge drinking, drug taking, random hook ups and other forms of activities that can damage one's physical AND emotional/mental health. BUT, you say you have Type 2 diabetes and its like you're the devil! You get stereotyped, judging comments and just generally an anti-attitude. It's been quite eye opening. I actually read a comment on a fitness forum said to a Type 2 who was literally told "well, it's your own fault!" - wow! Just wow....

Anyone else feel annoyed with the stigma attached to having T2?

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Huge amount of ignorance (and complete and utter stupidity) out there in social media land. Once you start to understand the mechanics of Type 2 you realise most of it is rubbish and just promulgated by click bait articles in the tabloids..
Unfortunately until we get T2 most people (me included) just think it's fat,lazy people who get it... I mean I was fat and lazy and got it.. Now I'm thinner and equally lazy..
Then we arrive here and find there are a fair few skinny active people who get it as well as some (usually ex) athletes so you start to doubt the story we have been told. Dig a bit deeper and you find out what can be done to ameliorate it and then do it..
I'm getting to an age where I can quite enjoy telling the rest of the world to butt out of my life whilst attempting in my own way to change some of them.. maybe it will work maybe not but at least we can try.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornin' folks,

So in the past month since diagnosis I've been on various forums, specifically fitness diabetic ones and I can't help but feel that there seems to be a little bit of attitude about T2s and it being 'all your own fault'. There's a certain stigma associated to diabetes and it seems quite blame-game if you're not T1.

Now, I'm certainly not proud of diagnosis of T2 but it is what it is, I'll take accountability, but I'm far from being the stereotyped vision some of the world has about T2s - ie, someone sat on a sofa just vaccuming bad food down her throat 24/7 whilst watching Jeremy Kyle re-runs (nothing wrong with that, for folks who watch Jezza, by the way). But this negative attitude to T2s is ******* me off, to be quite honest. In so much that social media is absolutely littered with folks posting pictures, and also being blatantly proud, of their social drinking, binge drinking, drug taking, random hook ups and other forms of activities that can damage one's physical AND emotional/mental health. BUT, you say you have Type 2 diabetes and its like you're the devil! You get stereotyped, judging comments and just generally an anti-attitude. It's been quite eye opening. I actually read a comment on a fitness forum said to a Type 2 who was literally told "well, it's your own fault!" - wow! Just wow....

I don't deal with people much. They give me anxiety, which is why it's nothing short of a miracle that I'm active here. But the few times I did talk with people about T2 who weren't friends or family, it did... You know... Irk me. Once was with a T1 who said I had the good kind because I can be cured. Uh, nope, I can achieve remission, but that's about it, thanks. He was a little hostile and mean to me that day (out of jealousy?), and yeah, I get that... You often get hit with T1 when you're young and every single day you're making a consious effort not to die. That's some heavy **** right there. It's not as extreme for T2's, so I get it, I really do. It was just hard to be in a group of people as it was, (with the anxiety thing) and having one be openly hostile because I dared label myself a diabetic, as a lowly T2... Oh my. Just wanted to crawl into a hole & die. I can't help being what I am though... I have several genetic issues that made T2 a dead certainty, I didn't eat my way into it, didn't slack off, wasn't lazy, everything the media is blasting out there about us... I followed my dietician's advice, I went to the gym until rheumatism permanently botched my hip for me... I've just been ill my whole life, and was given advice that went straight against everything my body needed. This was just waiting to happen. It's not my fault. But some people'll not want to hear that, will think I'm just making excuses.

I'm so happy with my husband's workplace. They have a party every year, and they cater to everyone, without comment. From the top of my head, the old director has T1, his daughter -who works at the office- has had gestational diabetes twice, the new director's a T1, a driver's wife's a T2 on insulin... It's all different sorts, and we can just say what works for us, what doesn't.... No judgement, just interest and respect. I wish it could be like that everywhere. It's not just us D's either, there's a couple of people who are cancer-survivors, people who are dealing with depression or ADD... No-one has to be ashamed of anything or hide who they are. It's the best place to work, ever, and honestly, if I could work, I'd learn everything I could about paint and try and get in there! (They're a paint wholesaler here in the Netherlands.). I realise how unique this is. Especially having had to talk to other people about T2, who don't know anything about it... Yeah. The stigma is incredible. Even here... Newly diagnosed people who are slim exclaiming "But I'm not fat! I'm active!", not realising just how very hurtful that can be to those of us who are overweight, often enough through no fault of our own... They honestly don't know any better because of what people are being told in the media. And one or two positive articles aren't going to change years and years of stigmatisation.

I'm just glad I don't deal with people much. And when it is, it's people I choose to be around.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mornin' folks,

Edited by Mod

That’s why I haven’t told anyone about my diagnosis. I have heard so many negative judgemental comments about various conditions and people’s weights (big and small) over the years that I decided it was best to keep the diagnosis to myself. Even my endo exclaimed when he saw me “but you’re not rolly polly”!! I was a bit shocked as that’s what he obviously thinks of some of his other patients. It is unprofessional and narrow minded. The lazy reporting in the media is to blame for a lot of it as people just spout what they have heard or read as it must be true.

Reactions: Shem S

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
But if no one talks about their T2 how will people learn the truth?
As I have been open about my T1 at work, lots of colleagues have revealed relatives with T2 one even lent me a low carb cook book. The more we share, the more we can help those starting out - and thus reduce any stigma.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s why I haven’t told anyone about my diagnosis. I have heard so many negative judgemental comments about various conditions and people’s weights (big and small) over the years that I decided it was best to keep the diagnosis to myself. Even my endo exclaimed when he saw me “but you’re not rolly polly”!! I was a bit shocked as that’s what he obviously thinks of some of his other patients. It is unprofessional and narrow minded. The lazy reporting in the media is to blame for a lot of it as people just spout what they have heard or read as it must be true.
I agree that it was an unprofessional remark but the fact that he made it shows how unusual it is for Type 2D's to not be overweight. I was by far the slimmest person on the DESMOND course I attended and I was 3 stone overweight. We can't say that weight causes T2D but it is certainly associated in most cases.

Reactions: mondFi

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have four conditions and I am certainly not ashamed of any of them. I speak openly of my T2 status and a couple of times have met with raised eyebrows so before a comment can be made I say 'Weight gain can be a symptom of T2 that not everyone gets, do not beleive that because you are not carrying much in the way of excess weight that you couldn't possibly have Type 2 Diabetes or be in the Pre Diabetes range'.

I too am of an age when patience is at a premium so I have been known to say 'You don't like me or my lifestyle? Then gerrouta my face!'. Some people like to judge others, it makes them feel smug so we have a choice, to educate them or to ignore them.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But if no one talks about their T2 how will people learn the truth?
As I have been open about my T1 at work, lots of colleagues have revealed relatives with T2 one even lent me a low carb cook book. The more we share, the more we can help those starting out - and thus reduce any stigma.

I know but I’m just not there yet. All a bit raw and I still think life has dealt me a huge unexpected and very unfair blow. My biggest work are the inlaws finding out as they are hugely judgemental of any supposed “self inflicted” health issue. I’m sure I will inbtime, just not yet as still feeling a bit vulnerable ...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know but I’m just not there yet. All a bit raw and I still think life has dealt me a huge unexpected and very unfair blow. My biggest work are the inlaws finding out as they are hugely judgemental of any supposed “self inflicted” health issue. I’m sure I will inbtime, just not yet as still feeling a bit vulnerable ...
It’s the shame you feel that needs stamping out. Would you feel the same with a heart murmur or asthma? It’s unfair that any of get us diabetes. Hope you find some peace with it and a way to politely tell your in laws to sod off

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I feel the stigma too. If it's in the newspaper I don't read it, if it's on the news I switch it off. It's when it's here on this forum that it really hurts. Even from other T2's...the 'I'm not fat, I don't know why I'm T2' type comments. Well hey,for years I didn't know why I was fat, now I know it's because I was already insulin resistant, which is in essence T2. So anyone who judges me for being fat is judging me for having a disease, they have the problem, not me.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Mornin' folks,

Edited by Mod
Yes

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
At first I was embarrassed about my Type 2 diagnosis. Now I bring it into a conversation asap. I am however annoyed at the "system". I just needed to know that carbs turn to sugar, how many teaspoons of sugar are in the current staples, and to be able to relate these numbers to what is normal. Armed with this information I would definitely have curtailed items such as dates, oats and orange juice. I know some might think, easy to say that after the event. I know what I am like, I didn't smoke (even weed, growing up around it) and just drank socially mainly red wine.

People do listen to big government advice, such as the low fat mantra, cholesterol and smoking. So education gives the choices, which all should be able to decide on. I am not ashamed of food ignorance.

Reactions: Jo123 and zand

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s the shame you feel that needs stamping out. Would you feel the same with a heart murmur or asthma? It’s unfair that any of get us diabetes. Hope you find some peace with it and a way to politely tell your in laws to sod off

No I wouldn’t feel the same although if it was heart they’d blame it on a non low fat diet. - they are very narrow minded and blindly follow the nhs/gp advice. I hope I’ll get some peace and my head round it too some day. X

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What I dont understand is why fat lazy food shovelling is not considered as real as any other condition, how many people doing this would not be thin by choice, would not be active by choice and would not prefer to not be constantly hungry? Why cant these actions be considered a sympton of diabetes or mental health? Rather than the other way around.

Im very active, always have been, I work 70 hours a week and am always doing something when im not at work, I havent had a days holiday this year and have non planned, I eat well, I have almost a full house regarding family history, I have two daughters with diabetes from 2 and 13, yet I am still considered someone with a bad lifestyle, its just plain wrong, buT I feeling its just as wrong to blame folks with “lifestyle” problems. No blaming required

Im on Max Metformin, Jardinace, Humalin and now Novorapid, bobby sands ate more than I do, theres nothing else I can do, leave me alone!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

NO! I'm well aware of the stereo type that you refer to, but the trouble is we can do nothing about other people's ignorance or reliance upon what the media says. I probably get more agitated by people's source of information, the media, where everything has to be dumbed down to make sure everyone understands, even if it's missing some essential information.

. . . . . . social media is absolutely littered with folks posting pictures, and also being blatantly proud, of their social drinking, binge drinking, drug taking, random hook ups and other forms of activities that can damage one's physical AND emotional/mental health.

Strange isn't it? Praise heavy drinking, joke about drug taking and scorn alcoholics and junkies.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I fully believe I caused my Type II due to the huge amount of calories I was consuming to fuel my cycling (> 200 miles per week). I basically just battered my pancreas until it said 'no more!'

So no, I don't consider myself lazy.

Reactions: AloeSvea

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Peter Attia sums it up rather well in this presentation.

And Dr Jason Fung came to this realization as well:-
https://idmprogram.com/my-journey/

"Then came the inescapable, horrifying conclusion. We, as doctors, had been treating T2D exactly wrong. And that is why I have started this journey. Because with the proper treatment, T2D is a curable disease. T2D is a disease of too much insulin, just as obesity results from too much insulin. The treatment is to lower insulin, not raise it. We weren't just not treating T2D, we were making it worse."

So if well trained medical professionals were misled and ignorant for years...it is not the least surprising that the general public remains even more so...an entire generation of T2D had suffered needlessly.

Last edited:

samochod

If you speak to one endo they say you're diabetic because you're fat. Another says you're fat because you're diabetic. They all say we don't know what causes you to be diabetic. Yet the world castigates us for being lazy. A lot of type 1s have a really weird almost elitest view because their pancreases are more broken than type 2s. At diagnoses I Powerlifted seriously and was putting up elite numbers and still got battered by diabetes. My neighbour who I went to school with who is very seriously overweight and drives the 200m to the local Spar every time he needs milk doesn't have it... Yes, it rankles me lol

Reactions: Flora123

lindisfel

Expert
None of us have perfect health, but to have disdain from the media, family or the self righteous ignorant is not a burden we should be made to carry.

I would hope medics would have a more measured approach.

We shall have to develop thick skins or have prisons where the offender's who condemn us, are put on the Newcastle diet for six months! :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell
Status
Not open for further replies.