Any advice

Lancers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day time television
Hi I'm type 2 taking metformin and other medication for arteries I'm a bit confused about taking blood sugar levels and when, what are the danger levels. I'm 72 and always busy but over weight.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We take readings when we wake in the morning before running about to start our day, this is a fasting reading.
Then we take a reading just before the first bite of a meal and then two hours after a meal. The difference between these two readings should be no more than 2mmol, preferably less than that.
Some people take a bedtime reading but to be honest, I have never done this.
The target is to try to keep levels somewhere between 4mmol and 7mmol but definitely under 7.8 mmol if we can. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Lancers

Lancers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day time television
We take readings when we wake in the morning before running about to start our day, this is a fasting reading.
Then we take a reading just before the first bite of a meal and then two hours after a meal. The difference between these two readings should be no more than 2mmol, preferably less than that.
Some people take a bedtime reading but to be honest, I have never done this.
The target is to try to keep levels somewhere between 4mmol and 7mmol but definitely under 7.8 mmol if we can. Hope this helps.
I think because of my loose attitude to my diet I'm recording between 7and 11 so will look what carbs I need to drop. Thanks for the advice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think because of my loose attitude to my diet I'm recording between 7and 11 so will look what carbs I need to drop. Thanks for the advice

Any time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Might I just add that keeping a diary of the foods/meals eaten and the corresponding readings is a must. This shows us our reactions and can flag up patterns that might be worth keeping an eye on.

DaveXF

Hi I'm type 2 taking metformin and other medication for arteries I'm a bit confused about taking blood sugar levels and when, what are the danger levels. I'm 72 and always busy but over weight.

Morning...
If finances allow it, I would whole heartedly advise buying the likes of a libre...at least then you know where you are, whenever.
I put my readings in an excel sheet, with that I can look at the trends.
I also add comments where I've felt a bit rough, had a beer etc.

Lancers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day time television
Any time.
Yesterday was my first proper day of counting carbs my first count this morning was 5.6 the lowest yet. Between evening meal and breakfast is a long time what is a good In between snack.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday was my first proper day of counting carbs my first count this morning was 5.6 the lowest yet. Between evening meal and breakfast is a long time what is a good In between snack.
A 5.6 is a smashing reading, well done!

The snacks I used to have were little cubes of cheese, a creamed coffee, small lengths of celery with a little Boursin or peanut butter on them. Some people have pork scratchings, anything that is low carb will do. A good goal to aim for is to try to give up snacking but this can take a while so don't feel as though you have to give everything up all at once.

Keep up the great work.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks as though you have the simple option of fewer carbs meaning lower blood glucose.
As you get used to eating this way your appetite will reduce - many people have found that to be the case.
I only eat twice a day, when I get up and then a late dinner. Sometimes I will have a small serving of berries with cream, but not at once - I wait to see if I really want it, rather than make it beforehand.
I do have a test meter, but hardly use it these days - I am two years from diagnosis, as I know what I ought to be eating.