1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Any advice

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Lancers, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Lancers

Lancers Type 2 · Member

Hi I'm type 2 taking metformin and other medication for arteries I'm a bit confused about taking blood sugar levels and when, what are the danger levels. I'm 72 and always busy but over weight.

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

We take readings when we wake in the morning before running about to start our day, this is a fasting reading.
    Then we take a reading just before the first bite of a meal and then two hours after a meal. The difference between these two readings should be no more than 2mmol, preferably less than that.
    Some people take a bedtime reading but to be honest, I have never done this.
    The target is to try to keep levels somewhere between 4mmol and 7mmol but definitely under 7.8 mmol if we can. Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lancers

Lancers Type 2 · Member

I think because of my loose attitude to my diet I'm recording between 7and 11 so will look what carbs I need to drop. Thanks for the advice

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Any time.

5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Might I just add that keeping a diary of the foods/meals eaten and the corresponding readings is a must. This shows us our reactions and can flag up patterns that might be worth keeping an eye on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaveXF

DaveXF · Well-Known Member

Morning...
    If finances allow it, I would whole heartedly advise buying the likes of a libre...at least then you know where you are, whenever.
    I put my readings in an excel sheet, with that I can look at the trends.
    I also add comments where I've felt a bit rough, had a beer etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lancers

Lancers Type 2 · Member

Yesterday was my first proper day of counting carbs my first count this morning was 5.6 the lowest yet. Between evening meal and breakfast is a long time what is a good In between snack.

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

A 5.6 is a smashing reading, well done!

The snacks I used to have were little cubes of cheese, a creamed coffee, small lengths of celery with a little Boursin or peanut butter on them. Some people have pork scratchings, anything that is low carb will do. A good goal to aim for is to try to give up snacking but this can take a while so don't feel as though you have to give everything up all at once.

Keep up the great work.

9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Would you mind telling us what the other medications are? Just for completeness. Thanks

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It looks as though you have the simple option of fewer carbs meaning lower blood glucose.
    As you get used to eating this way your appetite will reduce - many people have found that to be the case.
    I only eat twice a day, when I get up and then a late dinner. Sometimes I will have a small serving of berries with cream, but not at once - I wait to see if I really want it, rather than make it beforehand.
    I do have a test meter, but hardly use it these days - I am two years from diagnosis, as I know what I ought to be eating.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

12. Lancers

Lancers Type 2 · Member

Rosuvastatin clopidogrel erbasartin sorry not sure about spelling

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook