Type 1'stars R Us

Howie1961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was working, came home and now drinking a G&T.
What's everyone's opinion about T! and alcohol..... honestly?

I try not to let my T1 interfere too much with my Alcohol . Cider and bitter require an upfront few units to hold back the mountain and then regular top up units if I’m tempted to have another pint ... and maybe another - It’s all part of the fun ! If I’m feeling lazy I find G&Slimline or red wine needs no insulin interventions at all , regardless of volumes consumed .

I’d like to say CGM has revolutionised my drinking, but that would be wrong , it has just made me more aware of what I previously was oblivious to .

Cheers @SueJB !

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Howie1961 I drink red wine or a G&T with slimline tonic, I no longer drink anything else after seeing the effect on my bg levels and red wine seems to have very little impact, it's the only vice I have left now :hilarious:

K

Knikki

looking for a wee bit of advice. Since I started treating my diabetes with a lot more respect and eating much better I have never had pizza. Boss fancied a pizza for dinner tonight so going to go daft and have some pizza, around half of 1 which is around 100 g of carbs.

I know we are all different but as a rough guide how do you split your dose for pizza, pepperoni and hot and spicy meat pizza. I was thinking maybe 70/30

Bit late now but if you look in the T1 Meal Thread I had a pizza and bread the other night and a bit of guessing managed to get it right.

Hope the pizza was good :)

Reactions: kev-w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
A fine tune! London called, I went and returned ................all on time
I need a jealous emoji. I swear not one train on time in a fortnight.

Reactions: hh1
K

Knikki

Cheers @Mel dCP I was working, came home and now drinking a G&T.
What's everyone's opinion about T! and alcohol..... honestly?

G&T? not for me, never acquired the taste.

Me? I'm not a big drinker, like two glasses of wine and I'm fairly drunk and I don't bolus for it
I will only drink wines, some ciders if it is summer and the occasional spirits, but most of the time me and Mrs Knikki will share a bottle of wine at the weekend and yep I'm trashed.

Reactions: SueJB and kev-w

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m also a red wine and G&T girl. Never more than 2 glasses of wine, not because of Type 1, but because I find any more is not good for me.
With G&T when out once, got caught out with so called low Fevertree. No such thing, they do not make one without sugar and bar staff seem to be unaware. If we go to a hotel, I take my own tonic in case they only stock Fevertree.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB I'm also a red wine person, like several others I stick to a glass or two as I'm just a cheap night out, more than two and I'm getting drunk. Occasionally opt for fizz but that seems to have more effect than red wine, for which I never adjust insulin or anything. Interestingly, the only time I needed medical help for a hypo was in fact due to drink and it happened one Christmas night. It followed a day when I drank during the day (very rare) and a bit more than usual as dinner was late, then drank in the evening as well. Crashed and burned once I'd gone to bed and couldn't get sugars above 2 to the point where I thought I was having a heart attack and then I didn't know what I thought so husband called an ambulance. My Glucagon in the fridge was useless because I was in no state to remind him about it and he didn't even think of it. I guess that could add to my caution with drink...;)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mòrning everyone
FB_IMG_1525237246077.jpg

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit late now but if you look in the T1 Meal Thread I had a pizza and bread the other night and a bit of guessing managed to get it right.

Hope the pizza was good :)

Hi @Knikki after the big build up it was not that great just dont get the attraction of pizza, rather have a curry. On the plus side I dosed for 70/30 but did not need the 30 as I had a fairly low BG just before bedtime, 3.1

Reactions: hh1

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up until about 6 months ago I was pretty much a beer man, not that I drank much, maybe 2/3 cans on Saturday maybe the other can during week. When we went to friends house for the night maybe up to 6 bottles of beer. I would never bolus for this. Now apart from holiday I have not had a beer since, due to taking a bit more care of myself.

I now just drink gin and slimline and the occasional bottle of wine. G&T I find funny that some night my BG are fine others they are not. For some reason my BG also tend to increase with bottle of wine, dry white

In my younger days I would think nothing of going out 8 pints of beer followed by a curry, which of course I would not bolus for Back then did not have a clue what bolus even meant. How did I make it this far againo_O

Reactions: hh1 and SueJB

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning y'all, a waking 2.7 for me and a headache, I'm starting to think this Tresiba's a load of Mels cat if I'm honest (but not the dogs Mels cat), but then I was saying the same about Lantus in the end so I don't know.

Another miserable day too by the look of it :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Pigs and twigs......
I can't get this squash on a Tuesday night through to Wednesday morning balanced out........
Everything runs right until bedtime on tuesday then I wake up on a high which I did again this morning.......

I may need to bite the bullet and set my alarm for about 1am for a test.

Have a wicked Wednesday

Tony

K

Knikki

@kev-w I'm keeping an eye on how you find Dulac, I'm just behind you time wise in using it. SO far it is working for me although I have now pushed my does up to 23, started at 20 after advice from DSN to drop the dose. Must admit that sometimes I'm not sure about how long this last, its meant to be 42 hours but have my suspicions :shifty:

@smc4761 Your tale of curry and beer made me think about time in the 70 and 80's where it was one inject a day and testing was 5 drops urine + 10 drops water add in fizzy tablet and wait till colour appears. None of this instant blood test and bolus nonsense :hilarious: and the only dietary advice was "avoid sugar" :nurse: Yet still here, being a pain on the forum :happy:;)

K

Knikki

Ha!! I've been known @Mel dCP to drink an entire and worry what it does to madam BG, but nothing "appears" to happen. I still have 6 bottles of brilliant cider that have been sitting in the pantry for 15 months since diagnosis. I bet they've gone off:arghh:

Send them my way and I'll check them out for you :woot:

ve6cys.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w I'm keeping an eye on how you find Dulac, I'm just behind you time wise in using it. SO far it is working for me although I have now pushed my does up to 23, started at 20 after advice from DSN to drop the dose. Must admit that sometimes I'm not sure about how long this last, its meant to be 42 hours but have my suspicions :shifty:

:) Aye, I'm watching others and scratching my head, I did up from 16u to 17u but that seems to cause a drop if I swim late afternoon, 16u has me injecting 1u fast acting on a lunchtime to stop a spike, food at lunchtime isn't happening at the moment either, breakfast injection's requiring an extra 3 - 4u Humalog, evening meal needs an extra 3u too and I've dropped around 30g carbs off the menu each day, I did think I had a rough idea about what I was doing but am scratching my head a bit at the moment.

Meh....

Reactions: porl69
K

Knikki

@kev-w If your running low in the afternoon then why not trying to drop the lunch time dose to your higher when you swim?

Or are you one of these that does a load of swimming and find your BSL goes up?

Reactions: kev-w

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all....7.1 on waking and happy with that
Finally had to call my last sensor into Abbots as was reading Lo for too long. They are getting a replacement out in 5 days. Went home last night to fing and Abbotts box with my free glucose strips in.....well were supposed to be glucose strips, they were ketone strips...I needed them anyway. Another call to Abbots and they are sensding a replacement box of 50 glucose strips to me as well. Up the docs this morning for my 3 monthly HBA1c bloods, so will know on 3rd December when I go to see the dietitian, which I beleieve is about the pump??