Normal vs Slow-release metformin

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

Are normal and slow-release metformin equally effective?

I am struggling with side effects from normal metformin.

I feel sick, nauseous, with metallic taste and loss of appetite. I am on it for approx 5 days now.

Shall I continue or switch to slow release? I am concern about its efficacy though.

Reactions: Bexd12

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Both types are efficacious. The loss of appetite is due to the mild appetite suppressant effect of Metformin.
Some people report that tummy upsets settle down after a couple of weeks but others just cannot bear the digestive problems and are put on slow release. Still others report that even with the slow release version the gastric upset persists so they are either taken off Metformin altogether or they are taken off it and if bg has not improved they are put on stronger drugs.

Edited to add. Dietary changes are imo much more efficacious than Metformin.

Reactions: Shas3

iangte

Stick with it took me about 3 weeks for mine to settle down, worst side effect for me was a week of blurry vision

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Stick with it took me about 3 weeks for mine to settle down, worst side effect for me was a week of blurry vision

The blurry vision was more likely to have been caused by an improvement of bg levels rather than a side effect of Metformin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put onto Metformin and a statin at diagnosis and was really ill - on just one tablet.
I threw the tablets away and stuck to a low carb diet. It took some time for the effects to wear off, but I do feel so much better and my BG levels when taken at random tend to be below 6mmol/l. I did get one which was almost 15 a few days ago, but I think it must have been wrong - the strips are in their last month before expiry, and my husband eats things with sugar - but I feel seriously well. I was demonstrating a Cotswold Morris jig last night....

Bexd12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym
Hello!

Are normal and slow-release metformin equally effective?

I am struggling with side effects from normal metformin.

I feel sick, nauseous, with metallic taste and loss of appetite. I am on it for approx 5 days now.

Shall I continue or switch to slow release? I am concern about its efficacy though.
I was put on normal metformin within 3 days my ibs flared up had a really bad attack, gp switched me to the slow release so much better very little nausea now they both work the same though so don’t worry about switching if that’s what you decide to do x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt pretty rubbish for the first week or so, but after that I was fine and am still fine 18 months on.