Conflict of interest much?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The slagging which .org is getting is really tiresome.

Here's a link to the research projects which they're currently funding:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Research/Our-research-projects?search=&page=0

I've only clicked on a few which are of interest to me as a T1, but having flicked through the pages, they seem to be willing to fund a wide variety of projects across all T types.

It's that sort of multi-pronged approach which often ends up getting results from unexpected places, so I say good on them for having a go.

As a T1 with an interest in cgm, I've found .org to be much more visible on the libre campaigning front than this site, for example, making submissions to policy makers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking .co, it's got its uses, but so has .org, so I think it's being unfairly criticised.

I read some of the link Scott and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of research that is going on to help people with diabetes. There will always be negatives and positives, the pro's and con's when a new sponsor or partnership takes place.
I can understand how people feel also the slamming, sweet drinks + diabetes, I just wish charities could find another way of getting funding to assist with their research into education, treatments and a possible cure, as huge amounts of money is involved..

Donate
Talk to us about diabetes

0345123 2399

Diabetes and Me

Search

Our research projects
With more lives to change than ever, we can't stop now.

At any one time, we have around 120 research projects making discoveries across the UK. Each of these projects is only possible thanks to the generous support of our members, donors and local groups.

Your support means we can keep tackling the complications of diabetes and bring us one step closer to a cure.

We fund world class research
Our research studies are reviewed by experts and approved by the Diabetes UK Research Committee and our panel of people living with diabetes. So you're supporting research of the highest scientific quality, led by researchers with the skills and experience necessary to succeed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The 800 cal figure comes from the need to standardise the intake, which they do by using an industry standard slimmers meal replacement plan that is readily available in supermarkets and chemists. This gives some freedom to choose in future and reduces obsolescence by multi sourcing supplies, As I said this is eventually aimd at an NHS rollout at minimum cost to the NHS.

On a technical note: Since this mimics bariatric surrgery as the primary design philosophy, I have to ask if those having the surgery are carb limited or told to increase fat intake after the op? I suspect not, so I am not sure that the point you seem to be striving to make is actually relevant to the ND study. It is no question that bariatric surgery is now being used for tackling both obesity and T2D and is being successful at both. Having said that I know which I would elect to use in my case.
Thanks for the update. I think you are right that the original intention to prepare for surgery makes ND valid. I've seen posters on the forums just using it as a 'fad' diet which makes it less relevant.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder how many of the 2,000 Britvic employees in the UK that don't already have T2 will end up with it once Diabetes UK advisors have done their bit?
only those with a faulty insulin response

and what about the T1's who have lost lucozade now to the sugar free lobby and need a sugary drink when hypo-ing?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the update. I think you are right that the original intention to prepare for surgery makes ND valid. I've seen posters on the forums just using it as a 'fad' diet which makes it less relevant.
Yes indeed. Sites like dietdoctor are not specific to the needs of diabetics alone, and also cater for the more general weight loss seekers. Also, newbies here are offered a shortcut as it were to the benefits of low carbing, and do not need to do the more detailed technical research that many of us here have done, So it is becoming a switch on - tune in programme that has in a way become formulaic.

I do not have a problem with it becoming easier for newbies to adopt since that will broaden the experience base that demonstrates it to be a valid control plan and also means they are not immediately baffled by science and a wall of understanding that a 'serious follower' might need, Dumbing down is not necessarily a bad thing. So long as we maintain access to proper technical support when needed, then that is IMO a good thing. and is a necessary step to getting NHS support hopefully soon,

D

Deleted Account

1 – Stop allowing their sugary drinks to be sold or served in hospitals, schools or health centres.
What about people suffering from hypos?
Are they not able to use fruit juices to treat the hypos?

Fruit juices are not always the bad guys and with the right level of education, they should not be banned.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine

Fruit juices are not always the bad guys and with the right level of education, they should not be banned.
Medicinal purposes is always an acceptable exception.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi, yes some do use fruit juices for hypo's, I don't, as I am not keen on fruit juices, I never have been and I also find Lucozade quite disgusting too :yuck:

I agree with @rhubarb73

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this.
I am sharing it for information and making no judgement.

Thanks for sharing this.

What’s often lost in discussions about healthy diet is that people with diabetes – either Type 1 or Type 2 – can eat and drink the same as people without the condition, and that moderation is key for healthy living.

That says it all.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just seen this.
I am sharing it for information and making no judgement.

An interestingly written and an informative blog from Chris Askew. I picked this paragraph.

Quote -The management of both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes is complex and nuanced, particularly when it comes to diet and nutrition. On this issue, there is no one-size-fits all that applies universally to all people with the condition, or those at risk. What’s often lost in discussions about healthy diet is that people with diabetes – either Type 1 or Type 2 – can eat and drink the same as people without the condition, and that moderation is key for healthy living.

It’s also important to remember that sugary drinks have their role to play for people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes who use insulin, many of whom rely on them for the treatment of hypos - unquote

Moderation is the key for me, but some type 2's and a few type 1's, can't or do not want to eat the same as those without the condition.

Reactions: kev-w