NHS "Low-Priority Crackdown" on Blood Test Strips

jeoeskede

bbc.com/news/health-46361639

According to above article "Blood glucose testing strips - for diabetes...officials are proposing that GPs prescribe more cost-effective alternatives rather than scrapping them."

Does anyone know of the consultation document referred to by the BBC? If so, does anyone know if this includes prescriptions for Type 1 Diabetics?

Thanks.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
GPs have long been prescribing the most cost effective (cheap) strips.

Reactions: SaffyreSkye

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

According to above article "Blood glucose testing strips - for diabetes...officials are proposing that GPs prescribe more cost-effective alternatives rather than scrapping them."

Does anyone know of the consultation document referred to by the BBC? If so, does anyone know if this includes prescriptions for Type 1 Diabetics?

Thanks.
@jeoeskede when I got to the bit about bread and gluten free stuff I was sure it was a spoof article. I don't know the consultation document and the final recommendations won't be out until Feb next year.
I don't think T1D should worry though as out stuff is neither low priority in terms of strips and needles but wonder if they might take pumps off coz needles are cheaper. Silly idea

Reactions: SaffyreSkye

SaffyreSkye

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
I would like to know more about this too. My daughter and my husband are both type 1 diabetics so this news has rattled me. I would like more information if possible as I'm feeling pretty shaky about it all right now. My daughter is using the pump, my husband is on MDI.

Thank you so much in advance.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lazy journalism with the sentences above the listed items mentioning phasing out and low priority. Bit of a joke really. Something that doesn’t just help treat a condition, but actually keeps someone alive isn’t low priority!
However, if they were going to prescribe the Libre for me in April (cat in ..... chance!) I would be happy to take cheaper test strips. If not, then I would want the ones to my present monitor. Which is quick, efficient and gives me more than just a reading. The needles, well I’m already on the cheap ones and don’t have an issue with them.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And if you don't like GlucRX pen needles then for example BD Viva needles are the same 'formulary' price.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I was switched to Tricare pen needles and have experienced a blocked shaft several times.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently use the BD Viva needles and have noo issues with them at all

I do not know a great deal about Type 2, so do many type 2 get prescribed test strips. Do Type 2 need test strips? I am not having a go at them just curious

Reactions: Dodo

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need Enzina...?

as far i can tell policy is NO.

BUT..i am T2 , self purchase and test.

it's made a great deal of difference to me , and with the help of this site i feel i have learnt more in the short time i have been here, then i ever would with no forum OR test strips.

I feel more in control, and that i am slowly acheiving better balance of my foods and sugars..and ultimately my health and well being.

I try to make sense for missus to understand (and myself) by simple visualisations of what is happening to me.OR the steps i am taking to control it better.

I liken it to having an allergy....nuts. lactose, etc.

BUT i do NOT know what the allergy is until i displays..ie spots / breathing issues/ death..
( i have asthma, so fully aware of what triggers me on that )

In the case of type 2..( not fully aware of type 1, sorry) for me..i MAY be reacting and not even know..High BGS.

with the aid of the strips i now have a better understanding of WHAT affects me most.
and HOW much of it affects me most.

This just helps guide me to cut out what is bad(der :)) and put in more of what is Good or that agrees with my condition more.

Not something i would know on a daily basis..and most likely i would be in the dark IF no symptoms show until my next HBA1C test in 3 months time...at which point i STILL wouldn't know what foods cause me most issues.

For me it's NOT necessary BUT recommended.
I know some won't want the burden of knowing and are happy to just follow doctors advice and take whatever is prescribed.

Me,,?

I like to think things through..have a REASON to do something AND a purpose.

So i test.

with no disrespect meant, Ain't no doctor more involved in my health then me.

I like to think i am saving ME.... to be a better ME in years to come...more active, more engaged with life, less mutilated or debilitated.

God knows how much that simple measure could save on my medical expenses over the next 20-30 years (god willing)

so up front costs in my mind MUST outweigh the long term costs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I currently use the BD Viva needles and have noo issues with them at all

I do not know a great deal about Type 2, so do many type 2 get prescribed test strips. Do Type 2 need test strips? I am not having a go at them just curious

I was changed to the Viva needles.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
And if you don't like GlucRX pen needles then for example BD Viva needles are the same 'formulary' price.
@kev-w don't care what needles as long as I get my insulin fix and the needles are 4mm:D

Reactions: becca59
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't click on the above link.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
As a newbie I only know one brand so can't do comparisons @kev-w

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robinredbreast I think everyone would be interested to see a table of comparative prices, needles and prick sticks but not insulin. If the equipment still works, I don't mind changing but not the juice
Heres one for test strips - some are nearly 3x the price of others
https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medical-device-type/blood-glucose-testing-strips-2.html
Heres another covering comparative costs in lots of conditions - scroll down to p45 for diabetes
http://gmmmg.nhs.uk/docs/cost_comparison_charts.pdf

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a newbie I only know one brand so can't do comparisons @kev-w
Needles are a new one for me too, having used 12mm novo fine tips since getting a pen I was changed to the GlucoRX ones as the originals were discontinued last year, these had a habit of bruising so it was suggested I changed to 4mm ones earlier this year, GlucoRX ones but as I'd a downer on them from their 12mms I looked up prices to find BD ones are a similar price.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Needles are a new one for me too, having used 12mm novo fine tips since getting a pen I was changed to the GlucoRX ones as the originals were discontinued last year, these had a habit of bruising so it was suggested I changed to 4mm ones earlier this year, GlucoRX ones but as I'd a downer on them from their 12mms I looked up prices to find BD ones are a similar price.
Yikes @kev-w 12mm must have hurt. Glad to be a 4mm newbie