Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:) I once met a Franciscan friar who came to my church to preach at the early Sunday service and afterwards give a talk at the senior apartment building next door. Meeting him made me want to see Brother Sun Sister Moon again, one of my favorite movies. Some friends of mine at church and I found a copy and rented it.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Adrian.jpg
This is he.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
He has been writing some musings of late here is one.

Do not fall away

Do not fall away
from where you are
to thoughts and forms
that only make you mean.

It is the lines on your heart
that sorrows write
that lifts me to your deepest being

The beauty of bruises and scars
etched into the memory of your skin
that voices who you have been

The ache in your hands from life’s toil
now living in your bones
that gives smile to your joy.

It is the wisdom of the lines
folded by laughter
that express your welcome presence

The now dried eulogies
cried so many times
that glows the orange air

Please don’t fall away
from who you are
into thoughts and forms
that only make you mean

Live close to you
in a happy remembering
live close to us
in the fullness of love.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am of course as proud of the person the two year old has become.

The single mother who has raised her son who is now despite all the odds and neigh sayers is studying at Lincoln University

And on who's behalf she took on the might of a city council, the local education authority and the social services and won.

She is my little lady of la Mancha tilting at windmills and knocking them over.

Reactions: heh and Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am of course as proud of the person the two year old has become.

The single mother who has raised her son who is now despite all the odds and neigh sayers is studying at Lincoln University

And on who's behalf she took on the might of a city council, the local education authority and the social services and won.

She is my little lady of la Mancha tilting at windmills and knocking them over.
So now we need a picture of her and your grandson as well. But I can't imagine how it could get any better than the friendliest looking capucin friar with a sweatshirt over his friar suit thing :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is a beautiful musing, @JohnEGreen and a great photo. Thank you so much for posting them.

It's interesting that while there is a Blackfriars and a Whitefriars and a Greyfriars place names there is no Brownfriars and yet the Franciscans are one of the most well-loved and -respected orders in the Church. But then maybe that has to do with the fact that they are friars and not monks? (At least Brother John said something that makes me think that might have something to do with it?)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

It's raining here this morning.

Your'e right to be proud @JohnEGreen

Have a good day.

H :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Double posting, put this in another thread as well. But I'm annoyed enough with myself for two people so I guess that's all right.
Why not eat a whole grapefruit as dessert after a low-carb meal and forget to inject for it. The night before my first date with an internist (as opposed to GP practice nurse, who is the only one I've seen in regard to my diabetes) and with a lovely libre graph to prove my stupidity :grumpy:

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@heh, I'm sorry the photos didn't show up for you. A bag of shredded unsweetened coconut and a bag of Nestle's Toll House Dark Chocolate Morsels. Only 53% cacao, which I know isn't great, but it's as dark as they come and dark chocolate is good for blood pressure.

I didn't even melt them together, just ate them together.

Reactions: Antje77 and heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Wet but warmer here this morning.

Have a good day.

H :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First date with internist to ask if she could try to find out what type I have went perfect! She was lovely, happy with my last hba1c of 38 without worrying about hypo's, didn't give me a lecture about smoking, alcohol or weight and agreed that ordering a C-peptide and anti-Gad test was the logical thing to do. Should those tests prove inconlusive of my type she wants to check for MODY as well, even though we agreed that that wasn't very likely.
She'll call me in 3 weeks with the lab results :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First date with internist to ask if she could try to find out what type I have went perfect! She was lovely, happy with my last hba1c of 38 without worrying about hypo's, didn't give me a lecture about smoking, alcohol or weight and agreed that ordering a C-peptide and anti-Gad test was the logical thing to do. Should those tests prove inconlusive of my type she wants to check for MODY as well, even though we agreed that that wasn't very likely.
She'll call me in 3 weeks with the lab results :)

Oooo what an excellent date. She sounds like a keeper. Fingers crossed you get a definitive diagnosis.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double posting, put this in another thread as well. But I'm annoyed enough with myself for two people so I guess that's all right.
Why not eat a whole grapefruit as dessert after a low-carb meal and forget to inject for it. The night before my first date with an internist (as opposed to GP practice nurse, who is the only one I've seen in regard to my diabetes) and with a lovely libre graph to prove my stupidity :grumpy:

I'll see your (incorrect assessment of your) stupidity and raise you my disappointment in two threads I started last night in Humour and Chat that have gotten views but no other responses. I thought it would be fun to play the Diabetes Hit Parade game.

So here I am inviting y'all to check them out and see if you like the threads too! :)