Ryevitas- can I eat them on a low carb diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is low carb bread better than ryvita

All you can do is try it and see. Your meter will tell you what your blood sugars do after eating them. Low carb breads vary a lot in size, taste, ability to toast, and amount of carbs.

Reactions: Pipp

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All you can do is try it and see. Your meter will tell you what your blood sugars do after eating them. Low carb breads vary a lot in size, taste, ability to toast, and amount of carbs.
Will try and see

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If I have no other carbs in a day, I will sometimes have a couple of RyVita. I don't think they do too much harm. My problem recently, is that I can't actually get my blood sugar down below about 8 whatever I eat, and it is frequently around 13 or 14 - even first thing in the morning after fasting all night. I usually don't have breakfast until about 10.30 or 11.00, by which time it is about 10 or 12. I also can't lose weight. I do have a problem with my liver and with insulin resistance, so possibly my liver is dumping glucose pretty well all the time. Don't know what to do about that. Maybe I'm eating too much non-carb foods. Could that be causing an issue, does anyone know?

My diet consists of meat (including sausages, which I know do contain some carbs), fish, eggs, milk, veggies (including carrots but no other roots and very rarely salads - too cold up here in the north) and beans - and the occasional RyVita, but I have to agree that, if I do eat RyVita, I just want to keep going RyVita, butter and marmite. Mmmmm. I don't, though - that would just be asking for trouble.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that eating stopped the increasing BG levels in the morning, but only if I eat a small amount of carbs - 10 gm at the most. None was as bad as too many.
Do you actually check on the amount of carbs you are eating, and how different foods affect you?
I can't eat many legumes without seeing high BG levels as they seem to punch above their weight, and the same amount of carbs from other veges seem to be tolerated better.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I have no other carbs in a day, I will sometimes have a couple of RyVita. I don't think they do too much harm. My problem recently, is that I can't actually get my blood sugar down below about 8 whatever I eat, and it is frequently around 13 or 14 - even first thing in the morning after fasting all night. I usually don't have breakfast until about 10.30 or 11.00, by which time it is about 10 or 12. I also can't lose weight. I do have a problem with my liver and with insulin resistance, so possibly my liver is dumping glucose pretty well all the time. Don't know what to do about that. Maybe I'm eating too much non-carb foods. Could that be causing an issue, does anyone know?

My diet consists of meat (including sausages, which I know do contain some carbs), fish, eggs, milk, veggies (including carrots but no other roots and very rarely salads - too cold up here in the north) and beans - and the occasional RyVita, but I have to agree that, if I do eat RyVita, I just want to keep going RyVita, butter and marmite. Mmmmm. I don't, though - that would just be asking for trouble.

Your profile says you are on insulin and several other diabetes meds. Your levels do seem high for all those meds and also a low carb diet. Is it time you had a medication review? Maybe your insulin dose needs tweaking somehow, or the timings changed. If you are insulin resistant and if your pancreas is still producing a lot of insulin, your body may well be very confused and your IR will get worse. If, of course, your pancreas is not producing much insulin then it is a different matter. Do you know if you still produce insulin?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
As an alternative to Ryvita, you could try GG Scandinavian bran crispbread (but it’s more expensive at approx £1.50 from Holland & Barrett - I haven’t seen it elsewhere), as recommended by Dr Bernstein.

The advantage is that one slice is only 2.9g carbs. They’re high in fibre so tough to chew (may be troublesome for those with digestive problems). They’re OK with soft cheese. Dr B suggests breaking them up to use as a low carb bran “cereal”, but I haven’t tried that.
IMG_4755.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your profile says you are on insulin and several other diabetes meds. Your levels do seem high for all those meds and also a low carb diet. Is it time you had a medication review? Maybe your insulin dose needs tweaking somehow, or the timings changed. If you are insulin resistant and if your pancreas is still producing a lot of insulin, your body may well be very confused and your IR will get worse. If, of course, your pancreas is not producing much insulin then it is a different matter. Do you know if you still produce insulin?
I don't know if I still produce insulin. Perhaps I should ask at my next diabetes clinic appointment - probably a month or so away. I have to say that the health services up here are not good - they try their best, but training seems to be way behind what others talk about. Doctors are another issue - getting an appointment is appallingly difficult, mostly because of their new automated systems, which may work for the practice manager, but not for patients. Not just here, I know, my brother down in Swindon has the same issue.
I decided to up my overnight insulin last night and, wonder of wonders, my reading was 6.2 this morning at 7.30 but shot up to 13.2 an hour later, on just a cup of tea. Liver dumping? Maybe. I had 2 RyVita with sardines for breakfast and wasn't able to check after that meal but it was 11.2 before lunch.
But woe is me - I had too many carbs for lunch - digestive biscuits and cheese - 4 of them! Had a real yen for those extra carbs. Strangely my reading dropped a couple of points, from 11.2 to 9.2. I did take my normal 30 units of Humilin S before hand of course. Whatever, digestive biscuits are a whole lot worse than RyVita.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not take insulin so can't comment on it I'm afraid. It does seem changing your dose worked. I also wonder if your overnight insulin doesn't last long enough in your body? I have seen other threads that some insulins last longer than others. I am just guessing here. It could be a liver dump, but if it was it does suggest you may be insulin resistant with it going up by so much. The more insulin resistant someone is, the more insulin is needed to combat it, and the more insulin secreted or injected, the worse IR will become. Its a vicious circle.

I think you need some advice from others using the same insulin as yourself. Perhaps start a new thread asking about this?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Thanks for posting, it's the crunch i missed most when i went all salad-y early on

will be trying at some point.

Ps, looking that cat pic..beautiful.
You're welcome. And they are very tasty and addictive.

The cat in the picture is my Late Great Victor. He was diabetic too towards the end of his life. He was a wonderful boy.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As an alternative to Ryvita, you could try GG Scandinavian bran crispbread (but it’s more expensive at approx £1.50 from Holland & Barrett - I haven’t seen it elsewhere), as recommended by Dr Bernstein.

The advantage is that one slice is only 2.9g carbs. They’re high in fibre so tough to chew (may be troublesome for those with digestive problems). They’re OK with soft cheese. Dr B suggests breaking them up to use as a low carb bran “cereal”, but I haven’t tried that. View attachment 29858
Wow, great find! They're on Amazon too. The Sunflower and Pumpkin ones have 1.5g carbs per cracker. I'm ordering some now - would make a great replacement for toast for brekkie!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like the crunch of Ryvita but want to cut the carbs, try making these; I adore them and they're easy to make:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers

many thanks again for the recipe.

May i just ask some advice.
Culinary skills are improving BUT i have never heard of the psyllium husk
checked amazon, and found one particular item and it gets good reviews.

have you tried this type and regardless, does the husk have a decent self life, in your opinion
also is it pretty versatile in other recipes ?

amazon HUSK

cheers

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not take insulin so can't comment on it I'm afraid. It does seem changing your dose worked. I also wonder if your overnight insulin doesn't last long enough in your body? I have seen other threads that some insulins last longer than others. I am just guessing here. It could be a liver dump, but if it was it does suggest you may be insulin resistant with it going up by so much. The more insulin resistant someone is, the more insulin is needed to combat it, and the more insulin secreted or injected, the worse IR will become. Its a vicious circle.

I think you need some advice from others using the same insulin as yourself. Perhaps start a new thread asking about this?
Does anyone know about the effects of soya? I made some vegetable soup yesterday and used up some soya noodles from the cupboard and wonder of wonders, my BS dropped from 10.3 to 7.1! Even though, because the noodles weren't very satisfying, I had a RyVita as well. And the level stayed down for the rest of the day. Are soya products magic?
Pity if they are because I don't actually like soya.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bough some Scandanavian crispbreads from Holland & Barrett at the weekend. I'm really impressed. I bough Original and Oat bran. The Originals were crisper, whilst the Oat bran a bit chewier. Definitely a staple from now on. So nice to have a toast replacement!

Reactions: Ledzeptt