I blame McDonald’s

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Aw, Elaine, you're only human! May I ask your thought processes when you ordered it?, did you sort of think well it won't raise my sugars or did you think *** it? I don't know your history but I guess sometimes people think 'my glucose levels are all within range' and then bam, a rude awakening!!!!!! x
I really fancied the sweetness of the drink and knew it would raise my BS but didn’t realise by how much! It was delicious though lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Last time I was in Zizi's in Nottingham I had a double shot espresso and it was really good. And a double shot espresso actually has less caffeine than a normal cup of coffee.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not McD’s but KFC. I just did a ‘cough cough’ test in the name of science of two pieces of original chicken. 5.8 before eating and 2 hrs later 5.9. Checked again after another 30 mins still 5.9. Gave in then and ate other food as I hadn’t eaten much at all since breakfast. I expected much worse. So will repeat the test after better prep (not starving hungry before hand) and check again at 3 and even 4 hrs. But I might have just regained a small occasional treat I thought lost forever.

Reactions: KK123 and jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not McD’s but KFC. I just did a ‘cough cough’ test in the name of science of two pieces of original chicken. 5.8 before eating and 2 hrs later 5.9. Checked again after another 30 mins still 5.9. Gave in then and ate other food as I hadn’t eaten much at all since breakfast. I expected much worse. So will repeat the test after better prep (not starving hungry before hand) and check again at 3 and even 4 hrs. But I might have just regained a small occasional treat I thought lost forever.
Wow that's pretty good as KFC spikes me sumat rotten.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's pretty good as KFC spikes me sumat rotten.
Just checked again after 4 hrs and 90 mins after some fake vienetta (double cream, soft cheese, eurythritol and peppermint essence) and down to 5.4 so I think I’ve got away with this unless all the fats are seriously delaying things.

Tempts me to check a few other treats I’d just assumed were out of the question without actually confirming it. Or does therein lie temptation and damnation?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really fancied the sweetness of the drink and knew it would raise my BS but didn’t realise by how much! It was delicious though lol

My FBG this morning was 7.8. I have no idea what spiked it. I ate 3 small gingerbread men yesterday but not at bedtime. When I tested again I got 6.9. I had no idea 3 small gingerbread men on Sunday would raise my BG so high on Monday.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yesterday I had a ###it day so wife and I went out for a carvery I had the turkey with a lot of veg but succumbed to the roast potato and a small amount of stuffing.

Two hours later surprised to get a reading of 6.0 great then realised; had not taken my preds so took them.
then not long after ate a bacon sarny with low carb bread one slice of bread .

tested at one hour 9.8 two hours 10.1 bedtime 9.2 fbg this morning 6.5

So I blame the prednisolone

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i ‘treated’ myself to a caramel Frappuccino today and i’m So mad with myself as my blood sugars have gone up to 13.2. Haven’t been this high for months!
Oh come on, 3 pages of messages about this, and not a single one of you got a Star Wars meme involved? Shame on you!
its-a-frap-30275860.png

Reactions: SaskiaKC

T2#Me

i ‘treated’ myself to a caramel Frappuccino today and i’m So mad with myself as my blood sugars have gone up to 13.2. Haven’t been this high for months!
I always blame Oscar Wilde ... "I can resist anything except temptation" ... forgive yourself and climb back on the wagon.
Incidentally, I was happy to see Jason Fung advise in his fasting book that it's ok sometimes to fall off the wagon, say at Christmas or Birthdays or something, he says you can't go through life as a party pooper, too much stress - just make sure you pay the piper with a bit of extra fasting or something until you are back on song ... very practical advice, I think.:)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I keep meaning to look up the meaning of "meme." Just like "hack," which I used to understand -- it went from being something good, to something bad, to now apparently it's something good again.

I used to be good a vocabulary lessons in school, and am a native speaker of English ... at least what I used to understand was English ... :D:banghead:

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, I looked up how to pronounce "meme" ... Now I can't wait to use it in the 2-word story game on another thread! A good hack, maybe? Like the KFC one. :)

These are Not.

star-wars-bantha-cocoa.jpg

r2DYm.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I looked up how to pronounce "meme" ... Now I can't wait to use it in the 2-word story game on another thread! A good hack, maybe? Like the KFC one. :)

These are Not.

star-wars-bantha-cocoa.jpg

r2DYm.jpg
I looked up the origin of meme and I was surprised to find it was coined by Richard Dawkins in 1976. His version was a more general term for things passed by imitation rather than by genes.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so glad that I am allergic to coffee, I am never tempted with all the flavours/varieties, give me a good old fashioned cup of tea with a dash of milk anyday! :)

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky to be able to eat mince pies, without high consequences, but only the mini ones, one a day (at most) with a cuppa, luckily the big dollop of cream I have with it makes up for it!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm glad to say that I've failed in my quest to find a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I love them, but apparently it's the American in me, because I can't find them here in Wales. I had a sip of a Starbucks Toffee something or other thing but it was too disgusting to drink any more of. And as far as I'm concerned, the Gingerbread Lattes are a pale comparison to my PSL and not worth the carb treat.

I have a Bailey's Truffle advent calendar though. That's my daily Christmas treat :)

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Can see why you had it because I cleaned out my Advent Calender for lunch today - I knew it was a very bad choice - but I don't blame Green and Blacks who made it. So I really don’t think it is McDonalds fault if you chose to have one. I drink all my drinks black but I still kind of suspected these drinks his are loaded with sugar. I cringe when my husband has that sort of thing..

Hopefully a bit of exercise will get you back to normal. You have made me think I ought to go see where my blood sugar is now after my very stupid chocolate binge. Wow! 7.0 it’s not good but it’s lower than I was expecting so I’m very surprised at that although it was about four hours ago so it was probably up level with yhim u after I did it.

Tomorrow is another day so start again. Hope the Frappuccino was good

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well, I'm glad to say that I've failed in my quest to find a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I love them, but apparently it's the American in me, because I can't find them here in Wales. I had a sip of a Starbucks Toffee something or other thing but it was too disgusting to drink any more of. And as far as I'm concerned, the Gingerbread Lattes are a pale comparison to my PSL and not worth the carb treat.

I have a Bailey's Truffle advent calendar though. That's my daily Christmas treat :)

I do like Chai Latte but it is so carby I only have one very rarely I would like to try a Pumpkin Spice Latte. as sounds extremely alluring.

Edit to add the spices used are easily available so may make one and try it out , on the very next blue moon maybe.

Last edited: