Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My weakness is mince pies my diebetic nurse said have one and enjoy it and get back on track

There was a great thread about this time last year and Mince Pies were my concern because last year was my first Christmas since diagnosis. I really thought I'd struggle with the temptation but my palate had changed so much that halfway through the first pie I thought 'this is actually very sweet, too sweet for me and I'm not enjoying it at all'. I've no concerns this time around. It gets easier as time passes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of a mince pie you wasn't being stupid
well, I just dont have anything. But then, I easily get carb cravings, so i try to avoid the things which trigger it, and pastry does it for me, every time.

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well, I just dont have anything. But then, I easily get carb cravings, so i try to avoid the things which trigger it, and pastry does it for me, every time.
Will have to try not having them see how I go

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I will have 2 mince pies with brandy cream, and one small portion of Christmas pudding with brandy cream. When I say 2 mince pies I mean over the whole Christmas period. It's Christmas, I doubt for me once a year will not hurt, as I never eat desert apart from Berries through the year. I am going to have a go at making Keto pastry for sausage rolls, actually think I will do that for the mince pies also

M

Member496333

I wasn’t being especially serious. I was just messing about.

I do sometimes put a little butter in my coffee, but usually just double cream.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d do anything to get a Caramel Frappuccino myself!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KK123 I know you didn't ask me, but for me the problem would be an absence of thought processes. It would be something more visceral kicking in and taking over. I think my problem is being physically addicted to sugar. Most of the time I can overcome it but there are times when I "need" comfort food, or at the end of a day when I'm sick of eating nothing but protein and veg, when all that I want is a nice hot bowl of oatmeal.

What helps stave off the cravings for sugar is being really really full of good food (eating more than just enough to stop the hunger), but from childhood that sort of fullness makes me feel guilty for overeating. So, is it worse to eat to fullness on "good" foods? Or to snack once in a while on a bad food?

@Mr_Pot , what did the Italians find hilarious? Quantities too big? Names only quasi-Italian?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr_Pot , what did the Italians find hilarious? Quantities too big? Names only quasi-Italian?
Having been with them in Milan I knew that they normally just order a coffee, which comes as straight espresso in a tiny cup to which they might add sugar themselves. I prefer a little hot milk in mine to make a slightly longer drink. Even though they were ordering for me it caused confusion with my "complicated" order. Imagine what they thought of people ordering a "Venti Iced Skinny Hazelnut Frappuccino, Sugar-Free Syrup, Extra Shot, Light Ice, No Whip". Americans with us would order something that turned out to be a party sized bucket and expect to sit in armchair to sip it, the Italians normally drink their coffee in 20 seconds whilst standing up.

Reactions: SueJB

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Mr_Pot . That is what I was picturing so maybe I saw it in a movie or somewhere (I've never been to Italy).

I've only been to Starbucks a couple of times, but I got a great laugh out of your description of people's orders there because it reminded me of the Starbucks-takeoff Cafe Nervoso on Frasier. I drink ordinary instant decaf (!) coffee on a daily basis and enjoy it. :)

Reactions: MikeStrutter

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If my wife forces me to have a coffee when I am out I choose Costa who serve a Cortado which is a manageable size strong coffee with hot milk. I see Costa have been bought by Coca-Cola so I hope they don't turn into another version of Starbucks.