1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I blame McDonald’s

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Elaine p, Dec 1, 2018.

1. mimip276

mimip276 · Newbie

I've frequently asked for only ONE pump of the syrup when in Costa, you get the taste without so the spike (if you're gonna carry on moving around!)
    Idk how McD's operate, (can't stand the place!!), but if they make it up like Costa it might be worth a shot No pun intended

• Like Like x 1
  2. mimip276

mimip276 · Newbie

I have a sweet tooth (a cruel thing for a T1), but have found that Monin now do SUGAR FREE SYRUP. I would never put three pumps worth in, I have a teaspoon full, which is enough to flavour my black coffee and give a little variety and sweetness, again without a spike

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sangre

Sangre Type 2 · Member

Okay. Here’s what you do. Get some sugar free Torani syrups and a Nespresso milk frother. Make some really strong coffee. Add a squirt of salted caramel or toffee or whatever sugar free syrup is like what’s in those frappachinos. Froth your milk and gently pour on top. You will never want one of those over-done, over-priced things again. And you’ll feel pretty good after drinking your home made luxury in the comfort of your own home. There ya go!

• Like Like x 1
  4. tom_r_orr

tom_r_orr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Same here - I had a 'KFC-day' yesterday when a friend brought me a bucket on their way home (I am 3 hours from the nearest McD/KFC so it's a very rare event). Tested glucose throughout the day but only varied from between 5 and 6 all day. In all over the day I had 6 pieces (it doesn't keep well in the fridge :) ) and to my credit I didn't eat the fries! This morning back to my usual FBS of 5.5

I won't/can't make a habit of this but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Will test on 6 Big Macs next time he offers :) I test alternate treats in moderation but while I always remember I have type 2 diabetes, I also remember you only live once. To the OP don't feel guilty at all, it's not like you will have one every day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Fuggs

Fuggs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey dont worry, dont beat yourself up about it, we all do it, did a similar myself, 17.4 Mmol.....
    half hour on weights, or even simple push ups for quarter hour, or even half hour brisk walk will sort it out, its not the BS you should bother about but the insulin spike. The BS will just go and feed the muscles if you give them some hard work. The important thing is, did you enjoy the coffee.....
    The best way I found to get my BS down was to drop all meat and dairy, huge, huge difference.

6. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Fuggs, that last bit is interesting as meat and dairy is low carb and seems to be the mainstay of low carbing, can you tell us how you did it, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t wish to argue with your experience but personally I don’t think this is particularly good advice to be promoting. Meat and dairy is bad but 15 spoons of sugar in a coffee is ok? Hmmmm ;)

That said, excess protein can cause inceased blood glucose, particularly when fasting, but personally I wouldn’t agree that cutting out all meat and dairy is beneficial to a diabetic. As with most things, the dose is the poison :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

You called?
    https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-low-carb-pumpkin-spice-latte/

Very easy to make and delicious.
    Nowadays I just make them for Mr B, sometimes. Not going to let him think they could be a daily thing, but once in a while...

9. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Easy peasy, I make myself some every morning. 5 tsps of brooke's bond, about one tbsp. of crushed green cardamom, ½ tbsp. of freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. of chai masala plus, if I've got it, freshly pounded ginger and 4 2" sticks of cinnamon and perhaps 4 crushed star aniseed. One kettle of boiling water. Mix everything in a saucepan and let simmer for at least 10 min. Drink with whipping cream. Go 'YUM'! :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Yes, I would like to hear about that too, please.
    And for many people, "simple push-ups" is an oxymoron. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That sounds like 5 cups of coffee, a curry and a dessert in one drink!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Now I'm wanting KFC Original Recipe with a pumpkin spice frappuccino for dessert!

13. lollyann1

lollyann1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hey there is no need to be quite so tough!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Smallbrit

Smallbrit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oooh. With a video too....!

I must check my spice rack for ingredients. You've made my December!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I don't know if you remember the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit of years ago ...

Maybe McD's should start putting these alerts on their frappuccino cups:

CAUTION: I'm so sweet I will spike your blood sugar!

And on the lid:

!!! STOP !!! Do you REALLY want to drink me? This, with a big red circle and line.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. BobbiDoll

BobbiDoll Type 2 · Newbie

It is too easy to give into temptation. Decide ahead of time what you will and will not eat. It is so much easier to stick to your decisions.

17. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

18. Fuggs

Fuggs Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know push-ups tend to scare everybody but you don't have to do flat push-ups to start with you can start on your knees if you want all the best method is download the app Couch to 5K and crack on with that fitness is the key

19. Fruitella

Fruitella Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ah, knees! Their lies the problem for me. Apparently I have 'footballer knees'. Well it made me smile when the physio called them that. Going upstairs and climbing up is fine but not the other way.

20. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Push ups can be done stood up against a wall. The further out your feet go the harder it gets. Just make sure they don’t slip

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook