So confused

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love it if that could be fixed as well, I just feel like a proper failure as a human with my PCOS and now this, I know that I’m sounding like a Debbie downer but I’m just in a funk the now.

You'll soon be a Debbie do'er! You've already started love by seeking out this website. x

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll soon be a Debbie do'er! You've already started love by seeking out this website. x
Thank you, I’m just over whelmed.
I’m going to have to go shopping so I can get all the nice foods I can actually eat and start cooking x

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all feel like that. It does feel so overwhelming at the beginning. I'm only 4 months into the journey but thanks to the help here and some great support at home I'm getting to grips to it and you will too!

You can live a full and healthy life, far healthier than most of the population of this world in fact.

Hang on in there!
Have you found it easy to get to grips with?
I think my biggest thing will be keeping track of everything
Everyone in here has been so lovely and so helpful, I’m overwhelmed with the kindness

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got told about the PCOS as an aside while a bigger issue was being discovered, so all I was told was that I wouldn't be able to have kids without jumping through flaming hoops. And since that was all i knew, and with my medical/mental issues I didn't want kids anyway, that's where it ended... If I'd known back then that PCOS causes insulin-resistance, I wouldn't be a T2 now. Other matters seemed more pressing back then. Ha. What did I know. (The DOC knew though... And he should have told me!) And my husband didn't understand why not being able to have kids the natural way made me upset, as i don't have a wish to be a mom. But it was just another thing my body was supposed to be built for, and couldn't correctly do. (Not to mention a small, malformed uterus, from what I understand). With my hairy legs and whatnot, I just didn't feel like an "actual" woman. Insanely enough, when someone else with PCOS or other (fertility or other) issues says something like that. I tell them it's nonsense and they're absolutely wonderful, perfect people, haha. We really do put ourselves through the wringer eh, judging ourselves more harshly than we do others. But yeah, low carb should help with the PCOS too. It should help with neigh on everything, really.

As for fruit, if you stick with a hand full of berries in something fatty like greek yoghurt or cream, you're all good. Strawberries, raspberries, blue or black... Just don't go overboard and you'll be fine. Sometimes I make myself a cinnamon omelet with berries, coconut shavings and cream on the side. Just as a little treat. :)
I wasn’t told about the PCOS till later on as well, and I wish I had as something would have been done about it, I hate the fact that this has totally taken control of my life and i will have it forever,
I know what you mean by not feeling like your body isn’t doing everything it should as a female it’s very disheartening when you have issues with the things we are supposed to be built to do.
Im thinking that the best thing would be do to some more research on the whole eating thing and buy the majority of foods I can to make those receipts on the website everyone has recommended, I’m going to find it very hard to give up potatoes though as I love crisps lol! How do people do this?! I am struggling big time but I know I have to put the work in and hopefully it will make it better in time .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn’t told about the PCOS till later on as well, and I wish I had as something would have been done about it, I hate the fact that this has totally taken control of my life and i will have it forever,
I know what you mean by not feeling like your body isn’t doing everything it should as a female it’s very disheartening when you have issues with the things we are supposed to be built to do.
Im thinking that the best thing would be do to some more research on the whole eating thing and buy the majority of foods I can to make those receipts on the website everyone has recommended, I’m going to find it very hard to give up potatoes though as I love crisps lol! How do people do this?! I am struggling big time but I know I have to put the work in and hopefully it will make it better in time .
People do it by taking time and experimenting. You don't want to know how much "good, healthy" yet absolutely disgusting food I tossed before I got into my regular routine. And for me, pork scratchings and the like are excellent substitutes for crisps. Nuts too! ;) Dietdoctor.com has a lovely amount of meals, and while some wouldn't agree with me due to other issues, or taste, there's still enough to satisfy me, so most likely there's loads there for you too. I haven't tried making keto-mugcake, fathead pizza and the like so far, because I'm a coward and useless in the kitchen, but it's just good to know it's there should I want to give it a go. If there's stuff you think you can't do without just google it with keto in the phrase, you'll find loads of low carb alternatives. But do yourself a favor and just keep it simple for now. Go over your usual grocery list and check the carbs on the items you use most, and take your time to find alternatives you're happy with. (You can always put a list online here and ask if people know better brands/alternatives... I wouldn't as we don't have the same shops here in the Netherlands, but it's an idea, should you get stuck) Took me about 3 months to get something going I enjoyed and was workable, and then kept adding to it as time progressed and I decided to lower carbs even further. It's not something you have to get exactly right on day one. Just take time to research fooditems. For carb-content AND taste. Cut the spuds? Just up the veggies and meat. Like Subway sandwiches? They can make them into a low carb salad instead. (People here roll up cheese and cold cuts, often with butter! Who needs bread?!) Burger King's Whopper is as tasty without the bun. It's mostly small adjustments that you just have to know about, and they can make such a difference in carb-intake. Type keto in Instagram and you get a load of lovely visuals for meals. And there's so many cookbooks out there... Quite a few call for exotic ingredients, but really, eggs and bacon... Not exotic, but quite low carb. You can make it as difficult as you want, but for now, keep it nice and easy until you get into the swing of things. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/visual-guides has a load of different foodgroups with at-a-glance carb content, which is very handy... You don't have to remember it all in one go, but it's something to work with.

There's a restaurant the next town over and they have a long, long list of tiny oriental bites on their site. You order 3 per round, for 5 rounds, and I always felt lost when on the spot. Now, I really enjoy going through their menu online, and selecting which things I can still choose from. Even without having to ask for adjustments. I bring my own little list to help me when I have to fill out their form, and have whatever I want. And still stay low carb. After a while it actually becomes a sport to do this! Why? Because there is SO MUCH food in the world and a lot of it is so good, even for T2's, and I never even tried it before. My palate is thankful, I can tell you that! I got a lot more adventurous with food, and on keto my foodintolerances got dialed down too, so I can have regular cow's cheese or cream sometimes now, rather than goat all the time. And should I make a mistake when I order (something I can't identify which turns out to be carby), I'll just have a brisk walk afterwards. If you get it wrong, your bloodsugars will be down in a couple of hours and you can start over.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Have you found it easy to get to grips with?
I think my biggest thing will be keeping track of everything
Everyone in here has been so lovely and so helpful, I’m overwhelmed with the kindness

I struggled at first and won't lie. There are times where I get super frustrated with it all. But it passes and when I have eaten well and healthily I feel much better. But you will come to grips with it don't worry. These kind folks will be here whenever you have a question or just feel like ranting!

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

You will lose the craving for carbs. I never thought I would but I no longer crave potatoes, pasta or rice.

The thing is once you have a meter you may find you can handle a small amount. Many can. I can handle some. But Ive chosen to cut out pasta and potatoes completely now as I simply don't want them.

Crisps, chocolate are another group entirely lol. I treat myself once every 6 weeks or so to something of the sort. I just had Maltesers the other day and I'm not sorry. I needed them and they were super tasty. You'll make up your own mind as to what works for you.

Reactions: Deborah 85
M

Member496333

You will lose the craving for carbs. I never thought I would but I no longer crave potatoes, pasta or rice.

The thing is once you have a meter you may find you can handle a small amount. Many can. I can handle some. But Ive chosen to cut out pasta and potatoes completely now as I simply don't want them.

Crisps, chocolate are another group entirely lol. I treat myself once every 6 weeks or so to something of the sort. I just had Maltesers the other day and I'm not sorry. I needed them and they were super tasty. You'll make up your own mind as to what works for you.

Agreed. The reason people think they can’t give up carbs is because they’re literally addicted to them. Once that addiction is broken, it doesn’t even enter most low-carber’s heads. Speaking from a personal perspective, I can’t think of much worse than ruining a scrumptious and satiating meal with carbohydrate that will just bloat me and leave me hungry again in two hours.

Each to their own of course. I’m not attacking other people’s choices. Just trying to instill some further positivity in Deborah’s mind. There is a life after carbohydrate, and it includes a bounty of delicious and satisfying foods. You just have to fight through those first few months where you can’t imagine a life without bread :D

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggled at first and won't lie. There are times where I get super frustrated with it all. But it passes and when I have eaten well and healthily I feel much better. But you will come to grips with it don't worry. These kind folks will be here whenever you have a question or just feel like ranting!
Yeah everyone that has got in touch have been super friendly and helpful!
I got my meter today so gonna have to have a play about with it and see what it’s all about!
I’m really hungry all the time lol

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed. The reason people think they can’t give up carbs is because they’re literally addicted to them. Once that addiction is broken, it doesn’t even enter most low-carber’s heads. Speaking from a personal perspective, I can’t think of much worse than ruining a scrumptious and satiating meal with carbohydrate that will just bloat me and leave me hungry again in two hours.

Each to their own of course. I’m not attacking other people’s choices. Just trying to instill some further positivity in Deborah’s mind. There is a life after carbohydrate, and it includes a bounty of delicious and satisfying foods. You just have to fight through those first few months where you can’t imagine a life without bread :D
I hope so! I just can’t see the day when I’m not craving for some tuna pasta, I love that and I’m gutted I can’t have that anymore :arghh: but I will get over that and I will get there. I’m having a much more positive day and that’s down to you all! Thank u so much

Reactions: jjraak

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think crips will be my biggest downfall as I love them, the doc today said maybe try and have a packet at the weekend as a treat and thta limiting you and you will get used to not having them.

M

Member496333

If you’re hungry then you need to eat. Just not carbohydrate, as it will make you hungrier :)