So confused

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will struggle with breakfast stuff as I work in an office
Hi and welcome. Are you allowed to eat in your office? I take in a small container of greek style full fat yoghurt, strawberries and seeds. I sit at my desk and eat it with the blessing of my employer. Tell your employer what's going on and I'm sure they will be supportive.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously, chill out. It is not the catastrophic degenerative disease that the establishment would have you believe. Well, it is if you follow their advice. Follow ours and it isn’t. I thought the same as you at first. I didn’t know what I was going to eat. Now I’m happier with food than I ever have been my whole life.

I was diagnosed late and I suffered some pretty bad and painful complications as I was getting better, but now I’m grateful that I got it. I’ve never been happier and healthier. I understand it’s daunting at first, but please have faith that in a couple of years from now you’ll look back and smile.

Chin up! Hugs all around :D

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love some advice on this LCHF diet.
I don’t like a lot of foods like tomotoes, mushrooms, avocado and I have read a lot of receipts have these but I can’t eat them.

For food on the go, some babybel cheese and some nuts (macadamia, pecan, almonds, walnuts) are also a good option.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your reply, it took me a few reads to take it in. I honestly have no clue what I’m doing and I just feel so overwhelmed.

I will struggle with breakfast stuff as I work in an office and I can’t make eggs and bacon and things like that so I have no idea what I’m supposed to do.
I just wish I understood what I can and can’t have, it’s devestated me that I will have this for the rest of my life.
Breakfast could be cold cuts, cheese, boiled egg and whatnot. Full fat greek yoghurt with some nuts and berries tossed in?
Or... Well, I just have a cup of tea in the morning, most days. Just skipping breakfast entirely. Or you could google bulletproof coffee: it's remarcably good, and filling.
And rest assured, avocado, mushrooms and tomatoes are optional... They're not going to be forced down your throat if you hate them. Key is to find low carb foods that *you* enjoy. It's not just a diet, it's a lifestyle change, which is long term... So you'd do well to take your time and find out what low carb foods foods fit your day-to-day life AND bring some joy to your plate. If you're eating cardboard all the time, it's going to feel like a prison sentance. Not something sustainable in the long run eh. And you don't have to have it all figured out in 24 hours. You have time. Check dietdoctor.com, see what might float your boat, especially using the visual guides to food. It's an at-a-glance thing that'll make you feel better, I'm sure.

Get the Dr. Jason Fung books. Take a breath. Give yourself a moment to get used to the idea of a chronic condition. I have a bunch of those, but while most of them were just another box to tick (migraines, PCOS, rheumatism, hypothyroidism, to name a few), Diabetes made me spiral down into a deep, deep depression. Already clinically depressed, so it got worse. Much worse. Thing is... It's normal. To be depressed, angry, shocked, confused, unable to focus and process. You're going to go through all stages of grief, because it is a traumatic diagnosis. And then you'll want to fight it, get control of it. And you'll be able to do just that. Just don't rush it. Be gentle with yourself. Take time, take breaths, take notes. And you will be fine. Even without avocado's.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Options for office work, take a boiled egg or two on some green salad, frozen berries and full fat greek yoghurt, or skip breakfast and have a coffee with double cream.

lunches, take left overs, salads and soups are really popular in my office at the moment, home made, fresh or tinned just look for the lowest carb levels of what you might like.

Just make one change at a time, give yourself time to find a sustainable suitable way of eating that you will enjoy.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have no idea how much that helps, its true, I just feel so overwhelmed, I have PCOS as well, the docs said it goes hand in hand.
I will defo be having a look at that diet doctors website. I just some guidance is all.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Options for office work, take a boiled egg or two on some green salad, frozen berries and full fat greek yoghurt, or skip breakfast and have a coffee with double cream.

lunches, take left overs, salads and soups are really popular in my office at the moment, home made, fresh or tinned just look for the lowest carb levels of what you might like.

Just make one change at a time, give yourself time to find a sustainable suitable way of eating that you will enjoy.
I’m thinking the way to go the now will be the yoghurt with the berries, are there any fruits I should be avoiding?

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Are you allowed to eat in your office? I take in a small container of greek style full fat yoghurt, strawberries and seeds. I sit at my desk and eat it with the blessing of my employer. Tell your employer what's going on and I'm sure they will be supportive.
Yeah I can eat in my office, we just can’t really cook anything, what fruit should I be avoiding.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deborah, so sorry to hear how your feeling, but it pretty much how most of us felt, on that awful day of being told.

The horrible news was you have diabetes,
HOWEVER the good news is now you know, YOU can do something about it.

The members on here have already rallied to offer support, and the advise and links for further information, will be invaluable over the coming weeks and months.

So as said take a deep breathe, and take the time to find out what is an advisable breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack for us type 2's.

Like you I thought cereal was healthy for me, but it'snot something I eat now.

I do however, now enjoy poached eggs most mornings or Greek yoghurt n blueberries..I've even ventured beyond my comfort zone with scrambled eggs with avocado.

So for all of us, the choice of food changes, but the changes can be both healthier for US....and rather delicious.

Jo and the others have been bang on..we all were hurt by our news, but the best thing is you have arrived among new friends, all willing to offer help, advice and to just
point to articles that may help inform you better what foods are best suited for us.

So take in the advice in your own good time, but for now, just avoid the ones stated in other posts...after all, what do you have to lose by trying...it might just show you how simple some of the actions are to improving our health.

Best wishes, Deborah,
as many have said
You'll be ok...we got ya.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for your reply.
I appreciate every single reply that I have had and everyone has been amazing and really sweet! I’m just struggling the now but I’ve only just been told but I want to fight this and get better and healthier, it will just be a long road and I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel but I know i will get there! With all this support I’m so appreciative.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avoid all fruit except for a few berries. raspberry, blue or straw.

Invest in a wide mouth thermos, take to work, home made soups or stews.

If you read Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code or Dr Michael Morley's The 8 Week Sugar Diet, they mention PCOS having been sorted out by low carb. I don't remember the details off hand because I haven't suffered with it.

Hotpepper20000

You have no idea how much that helps, its true, I just feel so overwhelmed, I have PCOS as well, the docs said it goes hand in hand.
I will defo be having a look at that diet doctors website. I just some guidance is all.
I have PCOS as well.
For YEARS I felt awful. Migraines, tried, depressed, acne, fat belly and soooo hungry.
All the advice I got was to exercise and eat “healthy”
And I did. I cooked most meals at home and exercised more then my “skinny” friends.
When I was diagnosed it was like a light bulb went off. Finally I knew what was wrong.
Then I found this forum.
I stopped all grains. I lost 60 pounds eating meat, eggs, cheese, and above ground vegetables. A few raspberries with cream every day. Oh and coffee every morning with full fat cream.
And I feel amazing. Acne gone, migraines instead of once a month maybe twice a year. I sleep half as much and feel great!!
And I now have had a A1C below 40 for two years.
Best advice I’ve gotten is “eat to your meter”
Test before your first bite and two hours after.
Your looking for a rise less then 2ml.
Ask as many questions as you need to. There is always someone here to help.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avoid all fruit except for a few berries. raspberry, blue or straw.

Invest in a wide mouth thermos, take to work, home made soups or stews.

If you read Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code or Dr Michael Morley's The 8 Week Sugar Diet, they mention PCOS having been sorted out by low carb. I don't remember the details off hand because I haven't suffered with it.
I would love it if that could be fixed as well, I just feel like a proper failure as a human with my PCOS and now this, I know that I’m sounding like a Debbie downer but I’m just in a funk the now.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have PCOS as well.
For YEARS I felt awful. Migraines, tried, depressed, acne, fat belly and soooo hungry.
All the advice I got was to exercise and eat “healthy”
And I did. I cooked most meals at home and exercised more then my “skinny” friends.
When I was diagnosed it was like a light bulb went off. Finally I knew what was wrong.
Then I found this forum.
I stopped all grains. I lost 60 pounds eating meat, eggs, cheese, and above ground vegetables. A few raspberries with cream every day. Oh and coffee every morning with full fat cream.
And I feel amazing. Acne gone, migraines instead of once a month maybe twice a year. I sleep half as much and feel great!!
And I now have had a A1C below 40 for two years.
Best advice I’ve gotten is “eat to your meter”
Test before your first bite and two hours after.
Your looking for a rise less then 2ml.
Ask as many questions as you need to. There is always someone here to help.
That was the exact same as me, all I was told was to exercise and eat better, but nothing helped and any weight I lost I always just put it straight back on again, it was a horrible cycle. Can you have as much cheese as you want? I don’t have a meter? Is this sometiing I should be getting from the doctors?

Hotpepper20000

I would love it if that could be fixed as well, I just feel like a proper failure as a human with my PCOS and now this, I know that I’m sounding like a Debbie downer but I’m just in a funk the now.
But PCOS is not your fault. Either is diabetes. It’s rotten and not fair but you have it, and now is time to take action.
Having found this website will give you the tools to heal. Both conditions.
Once you start healing your mind will become clearer to help work through all of this.

Last edited:

Hotpepper20000

That was the exact same as me, all I was told was to exercise and eat better, but nothing helped and any weight I lost I always just put it straight back on again, it was a horrible cycle. Can you have as much cheese as you want? I don’t have a meter? Is this sometiing I should be getting from the doctors?
You can eat as much cheese as you want as long as it’s not with crackers or breads. You’ll find you won’t eat much as it is filling.
Yes you need a meter. With out it you wont know which food spikes your blood sugar
@Rachox has the info you need to get a meter.
As I understand in the UK the doctors don’t give meters for type 2s

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But PCOS is not your fault. Either is diabetes. It’s rotten and not fair but you have it, and now is time to take action.
Having found this website will give you the tools to heal. Both conditions.
Once you start healing your mind will become clearer to help work thought all of this.
I hope both can be healed, I just need to be positive and accept this, I feel like I’m still in the denial stage right now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Hotpepper20000

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)