Coffee

Locana

Hi,

Sorry for the questions! Still trying to get to grips with changing my lifestyle lol.

My BS before breakfast was 5.3 and two hours later it was 4.8 so must be doing something right. Thanks to all you guys!

Anyways, I’ve discovered coffee and cream! Can I drink two cups a day or is it a treat? I’m using single cream, does it have to be double?

Thanks again for your help!

Lo

Reactions: Ponchu

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Double cream has fewer carbs than single (but there's not much of a difference) and I have 3-4 cups a day. One of those is my morning bulletproof coffee. It still, even after a year, feels like a great treat.

Locana

Thanks! I actually hate cream, but in my coffee it’s so good! Who knew! Thanks so much :0)

Just googled bulletproof coffee. That sounds like a meal! That must be gorgeous...

Reactions: Speedbird

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks! I actually hate cream, but in my coffee it’s so good! Who knew! Thanks so much :0)

Just googled bulletproof coffee. That sounds like a meal! That must be gorgeous...

You're right, it is so filling that it feels like a meal and I love it, you do need some kind of blender though.

M

Member496333

Double cream in any quantity doesn’t raise my blood sugar even a little bit.

Keep in mind though that if you were to have a coffee and cream every hour, then the caloric value of the cream would probably amount to snacking in terms of the insulin response.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream in any quantity doesn’t raise my blood sugar even a little bit.

Keep in mind though that if you were to have a coffee and cream every hour, then the caloric value of the cream would probably amount to snacking in terms of the insulin response.

That would kind of depend on the amount of cream though surely? My tablespoon in a 400 ml mug of coffee results in

Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 13.55.16.png

The salt is down to what I add to the coffee..I seriously doubt this would cause a huge insulin response?
Its actually 15 ml rather than grams just my shorthand..

M

Member496333

That would kind of depend on the amount of cream though surely? My tablespoon in a 400 ml mug of coffee results in

View attachment 29905

The salt is down to what I add to the coffee..I seriously doubt this would cause a huge insulin response?
Its actually 15 ml rather than grams just my shorthand..

In my experience the amount of cream has no effect, but the time spent consuming it does. I can drink a whole glass of double cream (in a smoothie) and it has no effect on my blood glucose. But I’ve experimented with small amounts throughout the day and found that it did elevate my glucose. I concluded that the drip-feeding of calories through the day was essentially snacking. It doesn’t cause a huge insulin response, but any eating (drinking cream?) does cause some insulin response. My conclusion was that it’s the same as snacking, and regardless of the macro type, we know that snacking is not optimal.

I’m working at the extremes here and it’s not something to be concerned about. A few cups of coffee with cream per day won’t cause any rise, but it may do if you have twelve cups. According to my experiment on myself, at least. I’ve done it a few times with repeatable results. Amazing but true. I’m an engineer with too much time on my hands, so I like to try these things :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I’ve experimented with small amounts throughout the day and found that it did elevate my glucose
Really? But how accurate do you think your meter is that it could determine such small increases (and I'm imagining they are pretty small?). I can get my sugars down to the mid 3's when fasting but still with my coffee with cream 4-5 times a day.
Or (if my Codefree is as inaccurate as I fear) I might even be getting to low or even sub 3's while having coffee..
What wonderfully odd things our bodies are.. although I'm surprised a double cream smoothie didn't raise your BG because of the carb content..

M

Member496333

It was creeping up into the 6 range by consuming it in tiny amounts continuously through the day, whereas a whole glass would leave me in the 4-5 range as usual. To be clear, I’m not suggesting it’s any different to snacking on bacon, just that in my eyes it proves that snacking is snacking regardless of the macro, and suboptimal :)

For me at least.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry for the questions! Still trying to get to grips with changing my lifestyle lol.

My BS before breakfast was 5.3 and two hours later it was 4.8 so must be doing something right. Thanks to all you guys!

Anyways, I’ve discovered coffee and cream! Can I drink two cups a day or is it a treat? I’m using single cream, does it have to be double?

Lo

Two cups????, that's just a starter!!!!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jim Lahey Do you think we should have a "data nerd" section of the forum so we could all share our spreadsheets and numbers etc
@DCUKMod what do you think?

bulkbiker, much as I hate to be a killjoy, we already have over 40 sections to the forum, before we even consider where the subsection would sit. Would it be related to diet, exercise, blood glucose monitoring, or something else?

I'm sure if you want to share your data there are plenty of opportunities to do that already.

(And as you know, I'm a data nerd too. :) )

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Lo
I drink up to about 4 cups a day of fresh ground coffee and single cream. I can’t do cappuccino when out or my glucose shoots up. There are very few places willing to give you black coffee with cream. I wonder why ?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Lo
and btw “kn*****s” to the practice nurse who told me that cream was ver bad for me. My cholesterol last week was down from 4.1 to 3.7!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we already have over 40 sections to the forum, before we even consider where the subsection would sit.
Maybe its own very special place..where it could be hugged and cherished by all those involved..
But seriously, does it matter how many sections we have? Most people (me included) access through the recent posts area (new posts on the app) so only when posting new threads and content does the hierarchy of the forum come into play?
I'd put it in the Diabetes Management area... just a thought...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe its own very special place..where it could be hugged and cherished by all those involved..
But seriously, does it matter how many sections we have? Most people (me included) access through the recent posts area (new posts on the app) so only when posting new threads and content does the hierarchy of the forum come into play?
I'd put it in the Diabetes Management area... just a thought...

There's absolutely nothing to stop you starting a thread to test the water on this one. If, by your estimation, most access the forum via Recent Posts or the like, if it the thread were used, it would remain in view. That could drive demand, I'm guessing.

Just a thought.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jim Lahey Do you think we should have a "data nerd" section of the forum so we could all share our spreadsheetsy and numbers etc
@DCUKMod what do you think?
I’m not really sure what the point would be
1) If its to show other people how their body would react to foods, then that wouldnt work given that every body will react differently to the same food(s) and there will also be significant differences between forum members in terms of peoples diagosis ( T1, T2, RH, gestational LADA, MODY etc), their comorbidities, stage of disease ( 1 year, 5 years, 25+years etc) that would any individuals numbers pretty well meaningless in relation to any other individual. The fact that the suggestion has popped up in the newly diagnosed section magnifies those issues IMO
2) if its to showcase good numbers then theres at least 2 “success” threads
3) if its to get help / opinions on dissapointing / confusing numbers then ask a question, diabetes discussions and BG monitoring are there as subfora
4) If its just to post numbers with no real purpose then that strikes me as akin to testing BG and just wrtining the numbers down in a record book
5) If its to enhance personal accountability, there are already at least 3 threads 3 seperate threads already comparing fasting BG numbers
As you can probably tell, while I find my BG and blood test numbers interesting and vital to monitor, other peoples numbers recorded without an obvious purpouse bore the pants off me!

Last edited: