Do you stock pile Insulin

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've already got some extras tucked away because I don't want to wait until after Christmas to start preparing.

I would rather be prepared and not need it than not prepare and need it.

Reactions: Dodo

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope. I simply don't have the room in the fridge. There's two type 1s in my household.

MisterMints

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not stockpiling per se. I am ordering exactly the same amount at the same time each month, but I am using less, and therefore each month's supply lasts a little longer, maybe 6 weeks instead. By the time the end of March comes around, I still won't have changed my ordering habits (and therefore no change to the supplies or contributing to potential shortages) but I will have a little extra in the fridge in case of the worst happening.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
but I will have a little extra in the fridge in case of the worst happening.

Lol, after reading the newsreports of troops on standby, I'll probably arrange for a lot of extra insulin, 300 cans of tinned mackerel and soup, buried in a metal container on a remote Scottish island. Now, where's me tent....

MisterMints

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, after reading the newsreports of troops on standby, I'll probably arrange for a lot of extra insulin, 300 cans of tinned mackerel and soup, buried in a metal container on a remote Scottish island. Now, where's me tent....
You laugh, but I do have boxes in the shed fill of tins of beans, tomatoes, chickpeas etc and bags of rice and pasta, plus a chest freezer fill of frozen veg and bread.

There's no point in having insulin if I don't have any food to use it with!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Three months of ‘stockpiling’ supplies is approximately three boxes of Novorapid and two of Lantus. As Slip has stated above, it depends how much you use. My supply has nothing to do with Brexit, I doubt it will cause any problems.

Ok, I'll put it another way, you are clearly not stockpiling because that '3 months' worth is normal for you, would you be ok with getting in 6 months worth in then or 12 months worth because of 'Brexit' or any other issue as mentioned in the question. The problem with stockpiling (for those that do) is that they each think 'mine won't matter' and then suddenly there are thousands doing the same and lo and behold, no supplies for anyone else. It happens every time we get snow.

Reactions: kev-w

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One logical response a person can make to the risk of surplies running out due to other people panicking, is to panic first.......

Reactions: KK123

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think the issue with stockpiling is that everyone is not necessarily getting more insulin, but they're making sure they have enough so they have 3 months or whatever their normal maximum kept in the fridge happens to be at the same time, the end of March. So the demand will inevitably go up a little before then....

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the issue with stockpiling is that everyone is not necessarily getting more insulin, but they're making sure they have enough so they have 3 months or whatever their normal maximum kept in the fridge happens to be at the same time, the end of March. So the demand will inevitably go up a little before then....
Ok, I'll put it another way, you are clearly not stockpiling because that '3 months' worth is normal for you, would you be ok with getting in 6 months worth in then or 12 months worth because of 'Brexit' or any other issue as mentioned in the question. The problem with stockpiling (for those that do) is that they each think 'mine won't matter' and then suddenly there are thousands doing the same and lo and behold, no supplies for anyone else. It happens every time we get snow.
That's right. My stockpile is no more than usual. I was simply saying that I always have supplies, as I've been caught without before. In fact my insulin disappeared from my repeat medicine list at my surgery at one time, which could have proven a problem if I hadn't kept a supply.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m keeping a closer eye on what I’ve got and ordering when I have one box of cartridges left rather than leaving it until there’s just two cartridges. I also changed from Novo to Fiasp when a new lot of novo had just been ordered - not wanting the pharmacy to dump it, mad rules, it’s also sitting in the fridge. I’ve just got two more sensors too. Useful if the incompetency continues and international trade, taxes etc hit by unresolved squabbles?
Hope all the squaddies have insulated backpacks and refrigerated trucks if they’re transporting insulin. Could they drop it in from a Hercules?

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not insulin but when i used to get prescribed 2x 100 lancet boxes per 2x 50 boxes of strips, i've always had stockpile of lancets, and whenever i ask to get prescribed more, that ratio has never changed

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's right. My stockpile is no more than usual. I was simply saying that I always have supplies, as I've been caught without before. In fact my insulin disappeared from my repeat medicine list at my surgery at one time, which could have proven a problem if I hadn't kept a supply.
By coincidence, Christmas morning, and one of my husnand's colleague has been in touch to say there had been a problem that week obtaining their young daughter's insulin. Then with Christmas going on, their 16 year old girl had forgotten to tell them she was out of insulin. A call had to be made to Shropdoc to sort it.