Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Knikki thats awesome on the a1c- they used the ‘you must be having lots of lows’ with me too. grrr

I was never interested in a pump- didn’t want a constant reminder....

But now I have better control and seen how gadgets like that Miaomiao and the Libre have helped me gain better control I too will be asking for a pump at my next appointment (Mid Jan). I know the CCG/local budget is rubbish but worth a try!

I was asked to consider a pump a year and a half ago and I point blank refused- my control was all over the place then, so I didn’t feel I was ready for it and in all honestly had no idea what it could mean for my control. Learnt a lot from this forum and other social media platforms.

I will make sure I am familiar with the criteria before I go in to that appointment.

Part of me also thinks that it just depends on which consultant I see on the day. Its a shame but I never get to see the same consultant which is really frustrating. They seem to come and go.
Hi @CranberryRice, I was very skeptical about the pump too, but my nighttime hypos despite 8 plus injections per day left me with no safe choice but to try it. At that point I had been on insulin for 45 years and as stubborn and super-independent as a silly mule. Once on the pump I have not looked back and never would agree to reverting back to midi.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Tony337 Well done on the reindeer and the money raised, will toast you later on at some point over the weekend when the bottle of, which ever gets opened first, Wine/Vodka or Damson Gin.

Well that was interesting chat with the Etch A Sketch lady, she asked "are you sure your a diabetic?" reply "I was last time I looked" :hilarious: it seems my Hb1Ac is 39 from about two weeks ago, pleased with that.

She did ask if "I was hypoing?" to which I replied that I do run low a lot of the time, then she asked "if is was eating OK and enjoying life" to which I had to confess to the chocolate, cake, mince pies and basically nothing is off the menu, which she seemed very surprised about.

So she is happy not to see me till some point next year and let my regular DSN see me in March.

I am happy but still running mid table :)
Hi @Kniki, I am very glad that it is working for you. Brilliant. I am just trying to imagine what the lady would have said if you had replied that you still were able to enjoy the chocolate soap, gingerbread man bath bombs and doughnut scrubbing soap !!

K

Knikki

Hi @Kniki, I am very glad that it is working for you. Brilliant. I am just trying to imagine what the lady would have said if you had replied that you still were able to enjoy the chocolate soap, gingerbread man bath bombs and doughnut scrubbing soap !!

All said while foaming at mouth :hilarious::hilarious: I'm sure I would have got even MORE surprised look :hilarious:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Greeting fellow teabags, hope you have all had a good day.

Well had my visit to DSN to go through the insulin pump and how it worked etc. it all seems fairly complicated if I am honest, but like most new things it will be at the start. I am now officially on waiting list.:woot::woot::woot::woot:

They run pump clinics every month and the soonest I can get taken will be February but it may be later. Go along for 1/2 day get given a pump filled with sterile water shown how it works, play with for week then come back a week later. After that its a full day, followed by another 1/2 day followed by a check up in month then 3 months so pretty thorough

With my late onset dawn phenomenon causing these big spikes in morning she thinks I will benefit greatly from pump

Almost certainly it will be Medtronic 640G although they have a few new pumps they are thinking of trialling

So sent away armed with leaflets/booklets to read up on. Now to jump onto Youtube and see what is there as well

DSN did however shout at me a little, for running too many hypos, which is the first time I have ever been told I am running low, normally its the opposite-- she was really nice about it though. I have been putting in the effort recently though and my average BG for past 14 days has been 7.4, according to Libre, a new low for me, but still way higher than many of you guys.
I guess the pump could help prevent those hypos too so that could mean a double winner coming up !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
All said while foaming at mouth :hilarious::hilarious: I'm sure I would have got even MORE surprised look :hilarious:
I just gave a good T2D friend his bar of popcorn smelling chocolate soap present. He felt through the wrapping and asked with a frown whether I had given him chocolate and I replied: Just remember to read the printing on the packet.
Darn it! Forgot to include a rubber duckie !!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Happy Solstice everyone! We’ll be celebrating older daughter’s birthday. She was induced, and given the choice of 20th or 21st it had to be the solstice. She’ll be celebrating turning 40 by completing her bike (motor) qualifications and we’re celebrating 45 years married - yesterday - by getting solar panels to herald the return of the sun. The firm’s appropriately called Green Man.
@SueJB, The Kiterunner’s good. Be prepared to feel sad. And cross.
There’s a group of Afghan men who make a yearly trip to a beach walk a short drive from here to fly their kites, complete with shards on the strings, really sharp ones, and they love keeping the skills, and a sense of home, alive.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Kiterunner’s good. Be prepared to feel sad. And cross.

Agree, a really good read!

6.1 this morning :happy:, and as you can see I'm not late on parade this morning, conference setup all done and dusted. Christmas meal enjoyed yesterday, shopping to do now...........just need to find an excuse to get out the office.........or there's xmas eve to do it :nailbiting:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Happy Solstice everyone! We’ll be celebrating older daughter’s birthday. She was induced, and given the choice of 20th or 21st it had to be the solstice. She’ll be celebrating turning 40 by completing her bike (motor) qualifications and we’re celebrating 45 years married - yesterday - by getting solar panels to herald the return of the sun. The firm’s appropriately called Green Man.
@SueJB, The Kiterunner’s good. Be prepared to feel sad. And cross.
There’s a group of Afghan men who make a yearly trip to a beach walk a short drive from here to fly their kites, complete with shards on the strings, really sharp ones, and they love keeping the skills, and a sense of home, alive.
Thanks for the warning @Fairygodmother I think I'll leave reading it until the new year. I couldn't finish Watership Down because it was too sad. I know it was only about rabbits but............

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Agree, a really good read!

6.1 this morning :happy:, and as you can see I'm not late on parade this morning, conference setup all done and dusted. Christmas meal enjoyed yesterday, shopping to do now...........just need to find an excuse to get out the office.........or there's xmas eve to do it :nailbiting:
@slip "procrastination is the thief of time"

Reactions: slip

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good morning friends
Sat in ophthalmology for 9am appointment

They want to review my right eye after the operation and take a look at my left eye (2 small cataracts) morning

I’m on the list to get left eye sorted

Ok friends have a good day

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the warning @Fairygodmother I think I'll leave reading it until the new year. I couldn't finish Watership Down because it was too sad. I know it was only about rabbits but............

I wept at that one too!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm, I think my Humalog's off, bloods went up to 10.6 and had only dropped to 9.6 after 90 minutes, I've changed cartridge and had 3u from the new one, the old one was the last from the previous box.
3u and the lines sloping down after 15 minutes :) but it's raining so am not in a rush.

Reactions: SueJB and hh1

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hohoho, silly me, I should have thought of that @kitedoc
No worries @SueJB, in fact the kite flying is cultural theme that is very much in the background but does form a poignant part of the beginning and ending of the movie and book.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The kite flying and running also highlights the tribal inequalities in a country where, as in so many, the heavy hand of the foreigners (so many different countries: France, Russia, the USA, the U.K.) duffed things up!
Right, before I get too serious, has anyone tried dry white port, the new kid on the block? I think it’s great, not too syrupy for a T1 and tastes good! It’s a nanniversary solstice special here!

Reactions: SueJB

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother . Dry white port are 3 words I would not expect to see in the same sentence.
I think you need to ‘fess up and tell us your source of aforementioned drinky poos.
Are we talking supermarket shelves or dark alleys?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Fairygodmother . Dry white port are 3 words I would not expect to see in the same sentence.
I think you need to ‘fess up and tell us your source of aforementioned drinky poos.
Or the white spirit ?? (kite courtesy of Martin Lester, Scilly isles)
IMG_2996 (1).jpg

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It was in Aldi, a friend shared a sip of hers so I went to get some but it was already sold out. Him indoors found the last bottle at the local M&S and gave it to me as a nannyversary pressi - to be shared!
I was amazed too, it’s not sickly sweet and all. Maybe there’ll be more produced if the Portuguese find it sells out quickly.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Or the white spirit ?? (kite courtesy of Martin Lester, Scilly isles)
View attachment 30153

Ah, said gentleman’s only good for cleaning paint brushes. I feel really sorry for the poor people, usually rough sleepers, who end up in his clutches.