Do you ride a motorbike?

P

pollensa

I'm afraid after next Tuesday I will have 4 bikes.. oops how did that happen!

How amazing, 4 bikes, I wont tell my husband this, or he will want to have another one, we have a BMW which is good for me as I am like a sac of potatoes on the back its more comfortable than our beloved Ducatti 900 26 years old this year, its looked after more than wife, wonderful to hear your collection, hope many days of enjoyment, here in Mallorca when less tourists its wonderful to go up the western rugged coast for excursions, nothing better, even though I wont let the person upfront! go more than 60klm an hour....that normally causes a divorce.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine too
20180814_193028-1.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How amazing, 4 bikes, I wont tell my husband this, or he will want to have another one, we have a BMW which is good for me as I am like a sac of potatoes on the back its more comfortable than our beloved Ducatti 900 26 years old this year, its looked after more than wife, wonderful to hear your collection, hope many days of enjoyment, here in Mallorca when less tourists its wonderful to go up the western rugged coast for excursions, nothing better, even though I wont let the person upfront! go more than 60klm an hour....that normally causes a divorce.
You're safe I'm down to 2 now... phew...!

Reactions: jjraak

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Just saying my opinion i personally think motorbikes are dangerous. My mum thinks so to. My cousin fell off one whilst riding his own mistake and broke his leg back then. He decided to learn car afterwards. Most accidents with . motorbkes in my area the motorbike rider ends up dead or serous injuries. The only thing you have that protect you are your helmet by law and some wear motorbike chlothing but you have no seatbelts etc...

I fell over and broke my leg whilst going into work, in the staff car park, I think I'll not bother with work anymore if that happens. Now riding horses is not dangerous at all :)

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha! Too true. You reminded me that a long time ago (pre onset of LADA) I broke my leg stepping off the curb leaving work after a straight 36 hour stint. Spiral fibula fracture not detected for 2 weeks.
Who knows? Working like that could have contributed to onset.

Rather be riding.
Currently G310GS.
Gets off the tarmac to see the likes of furries, below.
5c29ecb8e126cf26f979d80b18489c7f.jpg
ee748576be8de7b69646efcee898091c.jpg

Reactions: hooose and Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Nice topic and liking the bike choices.

i also ride.

Current bike, Suzuki RF900 an Old Un, But a golden
left biking when first married, came back '95

No concerns or issues re diabetes so far

had 250 suzuki, dt125 yam, ntv 650.

Rent cars but usually its a scooter when on holidays.
great way to get around and avoid all the weird/odd parking laws

Hope to rent an Enfield next trip to India, got used to goa traffic, been using 125 scooters when there.
No speed, but then again i am carrying precious cargo...so we take the time to see the views, after all, we
don't have to be anywhere, for those 3 weeks..:headphone:

Last edited:

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
What's the point of motorbikes because there a lot dangerous than a car all you mainly have is a helmet protecting you (Which I think is a legal requirement in UK but the leather gear isn't correct me if I'm wrong) and the leather gear if you choose to wear it. If you were to crash you can easily die/get seriously injured (You hear about it a lot of times) because there's no safety compared to cars which have seatbelts and airbags which motorbikes don't have. Not to mention even if you just fell off you can still get injured e.g my cousin used to ride a motorbike but he fell off and broke his leg. Stopped riding after that and choose a car. He's Never been on motorbike ever since. Not to mention on a motorbike there's hardly any storage space and also you can't carry any people apart from 1 passenger (Depending on your bike) but you can't carry 4 passengers like in a car. Not to mention there's many times our local buses have honked or other cars/lorries due to motorcycles being to close or leaving there indicator on too long or other reasons etc,,

You just don't get it, do you ?...…
Never mind, Motos aren't for everyone.

Reactions: Daryl72

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last year got back into motorcycling after a 20 year gap. And it's ****** brilliant !! I've got an old but perfectly maintained Yamaha TDM 850. I've only done 12,000 km on it this year, but living in France, I've never ridden it in the rain. I've followed Hannibal's tracks into Italy and spent days lost in the Pyrenees. Next year I hope to meet up with an old buddie from Glasgow in Croatia.
And it wouldn't have been so enjoyable without eating LCHF. I can ride all day without dying of starvation and If I don't eat that night, too bad.... I'm not going to die ! All I need for emergency rations are a bit of hard cheese, a chunk of dried sausage and some water.... easy !
Dangerous ? Jings, I'm lucky if I exceed 60kph on most of the roads I travel. And if I do cruise at 110kph it's on a quiet well surfaced dual carriageway.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year got back into motorcycling after a 20 year gap. And it's ****** brilliant !! I've got an old but perfectly maintained Yamaha TDM 850. I've only done 12,000 km on it this year, but living in France, I've never ridden it in the rain. I've followed Hannibal's tracks into Italy and spent days lost in the Pyrenees. Next year I hope to meet up with an old buddie from Glasgow in Croatia.
And it wouldn't have been so enjoyable without eating LCHF. I can ride all day without dying of starvation and If I don't eat that night, too bad.... I'm not going to die ! All I need for emergency rations are a bit of hard cheese, a chunk of dried sausage and some water.... easy !
Dangerous ? Jings, I'm lucky if I exceed 60kph on most of the roads I travel. And if I do cruise at 110kph it's on a quiet well surfaced dual carriageway.

Hi @bluecurlylegend

Liked the TDM when i first saw them Good bikes.

and it's all about 'perceived' risks and what WE find acceptable as individuals.

Lulu, said their piece, "life's dangerous"..type fashion..
then simply repeated it... in a thread that most would guess is about people who LIKE motorcycles, go figure.

Who knew food was going to be the Hidden killer in the room...:D

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I used to be an instructor and we often had motorcycle cops come and give chats to course attendees. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is them (the cops) telling us that most accidents happen at speeds below 30mph, because that's when you (or the 3rd party) are often not paying full attention. Many of these accidents are worse than high speed accidents simply because they happen in towns, involve another vehicle and you're not travelling fast enough to be thrown clear of the collision.

Of course part of this is anecdotal and I've never seen any data to support it but food for thought perhaps. "I feel the need for speed."

Reactions: bulkbiker

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing that has always stuck in my mind is them (the cops) telling us that most accidents happen at speeds below 30mph, because that's when you (or the 3rd party) are often not paying full attention.

Hi @urbanracer

I suppose that does make sense.

I remember the advert for bike safety and it went something like,
"Ride the roads you know, as well as the ones you don't"
sounds thrilling , get out there and start living...exploring new roads and places

a clever play on words..read one why it reads as i put, but read another way.
it read " ride as well on the roads you know, don't just switch off, just because they are
familiar..."..which i suppose echoes their advice..

and THAT still rolls around inside my head on the odd times i get complacent after a run out,
and i'm back on home ground., so to speak.

Nice post , cheers

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Just saying my opinion i personally think motorbikes are dangerous. My mum thinks so to. My cousin fell off one whilst riding his own mistake and broke his leg back then. He decided to learn car afterwards. Most accidents with . motorbkes in my area the motorbike rider ends up dead or serous injuries. The only thing you have that protect you are your helmet by law and some wear motorbike chlothing but you have no seatbelts etc...

You stick to your guns girl. Repeat this as often as you like. I used to play rugby and have seen a few serious injuries, watched a fellow climber fall off a rock face, seen and had a few crashes while flying my hang gliders some friends were killed! I still ride my 1000cc motorbike, but these days the most dangerous thing I do is wind up Mrs J, my wife. Yep you have your view I have mine.

Daryl72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2018-03-22 14.35.20.jpg
2018-09-29 07.51.55.jpg

Only passed my bike test at the age of 46 last year and I now have two of them, Tiger for travel with first Holiday around France and the ZX6R for a adrenaline rush flying around Snowdonia at speed we shall not mention. Until you feel the speed or freedom you get you will never understand, best way to unwind.

Attachments

• 2018-09-29 07.51.55.jpg
    2018-09-29 07.51.55.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...I still ride my 1000cc motorbike, but these days the most dangerous thing I do is wind up Mrs J, my wife. Yep you have your view I have mine.

@alf_Josiah ..i've seen your posts, the missus part seems less adrenaline rush then kamikazi :woot:..if she ever spots your posts...:D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only passed my bike test at the age of 46 last year and I now have two of them, Tiger for travel with first Holiday around France and the ZX6R for a adrenaline rush flying around Snowdonia at speed we shall not mention. Until you feel the speed or freedom you get you will never understand, best way to unwind.

It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks..;)

Lovely bikes...:happy:

And the rush of a bike...i do feel sorry for those car owners that have to spend in BIG ££££ to get anywhere near that feeling...:D

Boys at work all like to brag about 'the ' Fast' cars they have...winds them right up when i snigger..LoL

Mine..
uc

And the bike..as a therapy, it got me through some awfully dark times.
but a good run out, the wind in my face, car disappearing in the wing mirrors...suddenly all alone out on the road...<sigh>
then back home with a clear head, and good to GO..back into the mix for another 24/7 week ..PRICELESS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Daryl72

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve had a large number of bikes over the years

Honda cb125
Honda dt125
Honda cb250
BMW 650
Kawasaki gpz900rr
Suzuki gsxr1100
Honda cb1300

Now a Harley lowrider

IMG_1545936041.645041.jpg

Reactions: jjraak

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to be an instructor and we often had motorcycle cops come and give chats to course attendees. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is them (the cops) telling us that most accidents happen at speeds below 30mph, because that's when you (or the 3rd party) are often not paying full attention. Many of these accidents are worse than high speed accidents simply because they happen in towns, involve another vehicle and you're not travelling fast enough to be thrown clear of the collision.

Of course part of this is anecdotal and I've never seen any data to support it but food for thought perhaps. "I feel the need for speed."

A lot of the roads I use, as a matter of fact, the majority of the roads I use, are limited to 80 kph and frequently go through towns and hamlets where the limits are often 50 and 30 kph . So my average is often 60 ish kph.
Sure, I love the fact that I have a potential of about 180 kph top speed, and I have possibly better acceleration than most Ferraris, but what I like most about my moto is that I can enjoy and appreciate what I'm riding through. I can spot and take part in local attractions.... like a bunch of motards having lunch or just passing some time together, or just appreciating each others motos…..

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak