Should the law mandate vegan meals

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion as a life long veggie (former vegan) should the law be changed to mandate the provision of vegan food - NO.

The NHS and schools are already battling with under-funding. But politics and the factory produced vegan fake foods are a whole other post....

My school age carnivore kids reckon some of the "meat" products served in their school could be classed as vegan due to low amount of meat :)

fpl

My principle is that people's claims/requests/opinions are OK as long as they do not affect the freedom of others, whether or not these claims etc. are based upon religion, faith, moral convictions or anything else. That somebody would like to have plant-based food or believes that plant-based food is morally superior has no impact whatsoever on choices of other citizens, so I don't see this as a threat or problem. Whether the request is granted may of course be a matter of politics, priorities, finance etc.

I have to admit that I was a vegetarian (not vegan) for ten years, and then started to eat meat again. Last year (2017) I decided to stop eating beef and pork for moral reasons: I did not want to be associated with the continued abuse of animals in slaughterhouses (there were several scandals here in Belgium). I continues to eat chicken and fish. When I was diagnosed with T2 in August of last year, I started to follow a ketogenic diet and began to eat pork and beef again, for personal health reasons. With pain in my heart.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've no views on the matter either way, but, purely for info/reference, the BBC article in the OP seems to be based on this public petition before the Scottish Parliament Petitions Committee:

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/cateringforeveryone

If you click through the link to the Official Report for 6/12/18, there's a verbatim transcript of what was discussed that day, including oral evidence from the petitioners, which gives a clearer idea of what the petition is about and what the committee made of it. They ended up agreeing to write to various bodies to see how they handled the practicalities of catering for vegans.

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/report.aspx?r=11837

I don't pay much attention to the Petitions Committee - it's mainly a conduit for people who write in green ink and BLOCK CAPITALS, the committee gathers a bit of evidence, makes some enquiries, and makes a few noises which might eventually once in a blue moon in a tiny fraction of cases have a little bit of impact on SG policy.
Interesting that they are citing the Equalities Act 2010 as the legal right to have the state ensure they can be provided everyday with appropriate foods even if there is no demand for it on those days, They seem to support that redundant animals will cease to exist, They state that their solution is totally inclusive and is enjoyed by vegans and non vegans alike and that it will give good health outcomes to all.

NOT IN MY CASE is doesn't As a T2D it is deadly for me as proven on several occasions now.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My principle is that people's claims/requests/opinions are OK as long as they do not affect the freedom of others, whether or not these claims etc. are based upon religion, faith, moral convictions or anything else. That somebody would like to have plant-based food or believes that plant-based food is morally superior has no impact whatsoever on choices of other citizens, so I don't see this as a threat or problem. Whether the request is granted may of course be a matter of politics, priorities, finance etc.

I have to admit that I was a vegetarian (not vegan) for ten years, and then started to eat meat again. Last year (2017) I decided to stop eating beef and pork for moral reasons: I did not want to be associated with the continued abuse of animals in slaughterhouses (there were several scandals here in Belgium). I continues to eat chicken and fish. When I was diagnosed with T2 in August of last year, I started to follow a ketogenic diet and began to eat pork and beef again, for personal health reasons. With pain in my heart.
Surely the way to improve the welfare for animals is to petition for laws to provide proper care for them, not advocate for an animal free world. i,e a world where the animals are not actually free, but are culled out of existance instead. If you truly love animals then why support a philosophy that is destined to wipe them off the face of the earth? Does not seem sensible to me.

My wife used to knit pullovers for chickens that had been freed from battery farms. My brother in law converted a battery hen farm into a free range egg production unit instead.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in hospital here in 1970 and every Friday was the same menu, steamed mullet, mashed spuds, chokoe and white sauce.

I used to get Jimmy Ah Wah's chinese takeaway food brought in that day.
That is a religious mandate from the Catholic church for fish on Fridays.

Hotpepper20000

Surely the way to improve the welfare for animals is to petition for laws to provide proper care for them, not advocate for an animal free world. i,e a world where the animals are not actually free, but are culled out of existance instead. If you truly love animals then why support a philosophy that is destined to wipe them off the face of the earth? Does not seem sensible to me.

My wife used to knit pullovers for chickens that had been freed from battery farms. My brother in law converted a battery hen farm into a free range peoduction unit instead.
My stepdaughter has a interesting and enlightened way of thinking about all this.
Instead of taking our “vote” out of the equation by not buying meat. Let’s support those that use humane ways of raising meat.
It might mean we can afford only cheaper cuts of meat but I try when ever possible to do so.

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting that they are citing the Equalities Act 2010 as the legal right to have the state ensure they can be provided everyday with appropriate foods even if there is no demand for it on those days, They seem to support that redundant animals will cease to exist, They state that their solution is totally inclusive and is enjoyed by vegans and non vegans alike and that it will give good health outcomes to all.

NOT IN MY CASE is doesn't As a T2D it is deadly for me as proven on several occasions now.

Like I say, I've no dog in this race, but I thought the link to the Official Report of the committee discussions might be useful as it's good to see what was said, instead of the way in which the Press usually provides a brief precis of matters.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Buddhists "Monks" in China and south east Asia are vegans that's a religious reason. "Last time I looked.":p

But that's ok I was not making a distinction about religious choice and dietary restrictions more about excuses used to deny somebody something because you don't agree with there choice.

In case I wasn't clear. I'm against that. ;)
:bag:
and yet some of them are quite happy to torch/slice up their Muslim countrymen.... religion should be a personal choice and nothing to do with schools..... ever.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like I say, I've no dog in this race, but I thought the link to the Official Report of the committee discussions might be useful as it's good to see what was said, instead of the way in which the Press usually provides a brief precis of matters.
I was paraphrasing the info in that very report, which has their formal submission in it as an embedded pdf file.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My stepdaughter has a interesting and enlightened way of thinking about all this.
Instead of taking our “vote” out of the equation by not buying meat. Let’s support those that use humane ways of raising meat.
It might mean we can afford only cheaper cuts of meat but I try when ever possible to do so.
My supermarket that I use buys its meat from the local farms here, and it is good quality and also affordable.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I was in hospital here in 1970 and every Friday was the same menu, steamed mullet, mashed spuds, chokoe and white sauce.

I used to get Jimmy Ah Wah's chinese takeaway food brought in that day.
Ah Wah sounds like the response I might have given back then!

Hotpepper20000

Yes the grocery store where I shop advertises local pork and beef as well. It is more expensive then others for the prime cuts.
In the summer I go to a farmers market and buy chicken right from the fame as well.
I fully recognize that I am fortunate to be able to pay for this. Not all families can.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted member 308541

That is a religious mandate from the Catholic church for fish on Fridays.
I eat fish every day of the week, and I have no religious belief whatsoever.
Ah Wah sounds like the response I might have given back then!
Jimmy Ah Wah's colourised msg and salt food was alright though, I can still remember him saying this, "No, we no see cat of yours, no more ask please..."

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would like public sector venues to include gluten free choices at all times. I was diagnosed coeliac just under 3 years ago and fortunately have not been an in-patient in hospital. However, I heard of another coeliac being admitted from A&E one afternoon and being given mashed potatoes and cabbage for her evening meal. The only protein available was fish in batter which was not gluten free. The following morning she was offered cereal which was not GF, so she had to take porridge which was not guaranteed GF. Luckily she had no reaction to the porridge. If hospitals and schools cannot provide well balanced meals for those with medical conditions such as coeliac disease, why should they provide vegan meals for those who have chosen to avoid animal products?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like public sector venues to include gluten free choices at all times. I was diagnosed coeliac just under 3 years ago and fortunately have not been an in-patient in hospital. However, I heard of another coeliac being admitted from A&E one afternoon and being given mashed potatoes and cabbage for her evening meal. The only protein available was fish in batter which was not gluten free. The following morning she was offered cereal which was not GF, so she had to take porridge which was not guaranteed GF. Luckily she had no reaction to the porridge. If hospitals and schools cannot provide well balanced meals for those with medical conditions such as coeliac disease, why should they provide vegan meals for those who have chosen to avoid animal products?
They could do if the MSP's vote to change the law.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They could do if the MSP's vote to change the law.
I haven't seen an MSP that I would trust to vote for anything worthwhile. The health service in Scotland used to be great in comparison to England and Wales, but now they have huge waiting lists and a great shortage of staff. (At my last diabetic clinic appointment, there were no DSNs available, as they were all at another hospital (The Death Star, for those in Greater Glasgow and Clyde.) I didn't need to speak to one, but I overheard the receptionist telling another patient that no DSN was available to help them. Things are going from bad to worse and I can't see it improving anytime soon, especially with, dare I say, Brexit.

legolgel

The discussion shouldn't be about vegan diet or not there are to much factors to be considered around the globe. One of them is the chemicals applied to everything, including clothes and food....chemicals are the ones that are creating hormones imbalances in first place...
The health system must stop treating symptoms and should stop separating issues, they should use and treat the body as whole..not by parts...
They should make mandatory the functional medicine, but for the conflict of interests this hasn't occurred yet...

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
religion should be a personal choice and nothing to do with schools..... ever.
And by that piece of simplistic thinking you win the vegans argument for them. Religion is a choice and being vegan is a choice, with specific beliefs and practices with regard to food preparation, so both must be afforded the same legal rights.

To deny Vegan meals on the biases of food preparation is now discrimination. :meh:

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegans win the right to eat **** just like everyone else. :joyful:
Not much of a victory. ;)

Edited to add "oh come on I used a polite word for ****":meh: