Zero carb/Carnivore

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest - why? Looking at the HbA1c results in everyone's signatures, they look normal. Why restrict your diet even further?

Similar to bulkbiker. Feel good eating carnivore and need to shed a bit of flab around my middle. Am also hoping it can help with some of my remaining craving issues.

Reactions: Ponchu

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
January has been designated World Carnivore Month so you're right there. And yes I'll be having some ox liver along with the steaks and mince.. its only £1.60 a kilo at the butcher so dirt cheap too. The Vit C thing seems to be a bit of a red herring as many muscle meat only eaters have been consuming only that for some years without the dreaded or threatened scurvy making an appearance so in the absence of carbs it seems it may not be so essential as we have been led to believe.. (then again no surprises there!).
If you get 2 or more of these symptoms please put a pic of yourself with an orange instead of Jason Fung!
Frequent colds
Loss of energy
Frequent infection
Bleeding or tender gums
Easy bruising
Nose bleeds
Acne!!!!!
Slow wound heling

Acne

Red pimples on skin

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For 67 years I ate lots of carbs, particularly vegetables. I have never had any serious illness, or any symptoms of diabetes. I was only diagnosed at a routine health check. Maybe there is a downside that carnivores have yet to discover. Personally I try to have as much variety in my diet as possible, just moderate the carbs. Not only do I enjoy all the different tastes and textures but I am also hedging my bets on the health front.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get 2 or more of these symptoms please put a pic of yourself with an orange instead of Jason Fung!
Frequent colds
Loss of energy
Frequent infection
Bleeding or tender gums
Easy bruising
Nose bleeds
Acne!!!!!
Slow wound heling

Acne

Red pimples on skin

Eating carnivore does NOT cause scurvy in the absence of carbs.
I suggest you read this, since you seem to think that eating carnivore will lead to vitamin C deficiency.
https://zerocarbzen.com/vitamin-c/
(this is something that comes up over and over again when people encounter carnivory, so nowadays I just direct them to that web page which explains everything very clearly)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For 67 years I ate lots of carbs, particularly vegetables. I have never had any serious illness, or any symptoms of diabetes. I was only diagnosed at a routine health check. Maybe there is a downside that carnivores have yet to discover. Personally I try to have as much variety in my diet as possible, just moderate the carbs. Not only do I enjoy all the different tastes and textures but I am also hedging my bets on the health front.

Whatever works for you is great.

Perhaps there is an unknown downside to carnivore. All I know is that since going Keto - and occasional carnivore, I realise just how bad I felt before - sluggish, lacking in energy, emotionally low and all round poor health, including chronic seemingly intractable migraine.

All that has changed. I feel great physically and emotionally have energy to burn - I have walked almost 10 miles, mostly at pace, this morning and am still going strong.

If I’m going to go early because of what I eat, I’l ll take this quality of life all day long.

Reactions: Guzzler

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria As I said, people are free to do whatever they want. I'm a liberal person, I won't judge anyone for what they choose to do. It's just I got caught in the trap of chasing ever better HbA1c results, restricting myself even more, when I didn't need to. An HbA1c in the 40s will provide protection against complications (the whole point of good control and the reason most are on this forum), so that's good enough for me.

If people want to eat a carnivore diet to improve their quality of life, then great.

As this is a diabetes forum, people shouldn't think that a carnivore diet is required to tighten control and avoid complications.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty certain that sailors in "ye olden dayes" did not get scurvy because they only ate fresh meat every day.

Sailors got scurvey because they ate meat and ships biscuits.
The carbs in the biscuits turned off the alternative pathways that allowed them to function without Vitamin C.
The problem wasn't the meat, it was the carbs + the meat.
Read the link.
Do further reading if that doesn't convince you.

It would be wonderful if people would stop swamping carnivore threads with old wives tails and misinformation

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As this is a diabetes forum, people shouldn't think that a carnivore diet is required to tighten control and avoid complications.

Can you show me a quote from this or any thread that has said that? Anywhere?

people are free to do whatever they want. I'm a liberal person, I won't judge anyone for what they choose to do.

You say rather judgementally otherwise you'd just read and ignore? People certainly are free to do whatever they want whether you are a liberal or not.. and to be honest if you want to judge for how we eat then feel free I for one really don't care...

Reminds me of people who say "Oh I don't mind that you're gay" as if I'd suddenly become straight if they did mind...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you show me a quote from this or any thread that has said that? Anywhere?

You say rather judgementally otherwise you'd just read and ignore? People certainly are free to do whatever they want whether you are a liberal or not.. and to be honest if you want to judge for how we eat then feel free I for one really don't care...

Reminds me of people who say "Oh I don't mind that you're gay" as if I'd suddenly become straight if they did mind...
Wow, calm down, there's no need to be so aggressive.

Please don't passively accuse me of being homophobic, all I'm saying is that a carnivore diet is not required to control diabetes - this is a diabetes forum after all. I really don't know why that's upset you so much. I'm not judging anyone; do what you want, I really couldn't give a monkeys.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
all I'm saying is that a carnivore diet is not required to control diabetes - this is a diabetes forum after all.

Which as I said no-one here has said apart from you implying someone had.. and if you read what I wrote I did not "passively accuse you of homophobia" . Please don't misrepresent me..

Instead how about reading some of your own posts back to yourself and checking the tone...?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which as I said no-one here has said apart from you implying someone had.. and if you read what I wrote I did not "passively accuse you of homophobia" . Please don't misrepresent me..

Instead how about reading some of your own posts back to yourself and checking the tone...?
I've repeatedly said I'm not judging anyone, each to their own, great if it improves your quality of life etc. Maybe you should re-read my posts. I queried why people with excellent diabetes control would do this diet. Again, what's wrong with discussing diabetes on a diabetes forum?

I don't need to misrepresent you, you said I remind you of homophobic people. Maybe you should practice what you preach, "Instead how about reading some of your own posts back to yourself"

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks - Let's keep this civil please. I have no wish to get the old forum secateurs or the prunning saw out here, but if the bickering persists that's the best that'll happen.

Reactions: zauberflote

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm eating at a GBK this evening, because (you couldn't make this up) my youngest sons girlfriend is a Vegan (non militant) and fancies their California Burger. I guess I'll just order myself 3 beef patties and hope there is little or no filler in them.

I'm tempted to try this meat only milarky, but I love vegetables too much I think to manage to keep it up for long.

GBK patties are zero carb - they sell their branded ones in supermarkets. Just meat, salt and pepper and pretty tasty.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I for one am more than happy to discuss diabetes on a diabetes forum and not homophobia

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GBK patties are zero carb - they sell their branded ones in supermarkets. Just meat, salt and pepper and pretty tasty.
I've recently taken to having "gourmet" burgers without the carbs, whilst out. A bit of a revelation, really, can't believe I've been depriving myself of burgers for so long!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've recently taken to having "gourmet" burgers without the carbs, whilst out. A bit of a revelation, really, can't believe I've been depriving myself of burgers for so long!

I make my own burger's, but I haven't made any for a couple of months, must make them again soon.

Reactions: Sue192 and SamJB

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make my own burger's, but I haven't made any for a couple of months, must make them again soon.
Yes, someone one here posted about a burger press...must buy one, as mine always turn out a bit rubbish!