Zero carb/Carnivore

Hotpepper20000

I am not 100% carnivore especially in the summer with my vegetable garden. However I am noticing that increasingly I’m not enjoying some vegetables like pepper and cucumbers . And enjoying meat more.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am certainly enjoying having the biggest steak in the pan.

Having now watched the above video it does seem to back up the advice to fast before a lipid panel and the fact that even a couple of hours can indeed make a difference. It will be interesting to see how Dave's trig levels change once the carni diet is over. Interesting stuff.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not 100% carnivore especially in the summer with my vegetable garden. However I am noticing that increasingly I’m not enjoying some vegetables like pepper and cucumbers . And enjoying meat more.
I'm in agreement about cucumber , make me feel ill keep repeating on me so don't eat it now and peppers i just don't like .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I had 2 mouthfuls of cauliflower on Wednesday. Part of my trialing veg test run.
Oh the horror.
I used to love cauli, but now... nope.
Won’t be bothering again, unless I suddenly redevelop that liking.

Hotpepper20000

I had 2 mouthfuls of cauliflower on Wednesday. Part of my trialing veg test run.
Oh the horror.
I used to love cauli, but now... nope.
Won’t be bothering again, unless I suddenly redevelop that liking.
Interesting I loved broccoli and now I get heart burn.
I’m still ok with cauliflower cheese but I usually have it with a nice steak or chicken livers.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Carnivores don't like cucumbers:

Reactions: Goonergal

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@NoCrbs4Me I tried that with my three cats. They were less than aware.. I’ve never talked to anybody whose cat had this hilarious reaction...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I havn't viewed this yet but it should be pertinent (as well as highly informative).

All it does is re-inforce that fasting is necessary if we want to see nice low triglycerides. In the days when I was told to fast by my surgery, the letter always said 12 to 14 hours so this must be well known by the NHS. My fasting before a test is usually 14 to 15 hours (from first bite) depending on the time of the test.

Reactions: zauberflote

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
All it does is re-inforce that fasting is necessary if we want to see nice low triglycerides. In the days when I was told to fast by my surgery, the letter always said 12 to 14 hours so this must be well known by the NHS. My fasting before a test is usually 14 to 15 hours (from first bite) depending on the time of the test.

Aye, but as we have have heard many a time on the forum people are not told to fast or when a patient asks they are told 'there's no need to fast'. And as medications are based on test results then fasting for some of those tests is pertinent.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aye, but as we have have heard many a time on the forum people are not told to fast or when a patient asks they are told 'there's no need to fast'. And as medications are based on test results then fasting for some of those tests is pertinent.

Oh yes, I agree. It is because since 2014 NICE has recommended not to fast, supposedly to make it easier for the surgeries as they can do the tests at any time of day and not be restricted to earlyish mornings, thus they are able to fit in more people each day and save people having to wait for an appointment. If the triglycerides are high enough to cause concern, they are supposed to arrange a fasting test. (that is trigs between 4.5 and 9.9mmol/l)
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg...d-assessing-cardiovascular-disease-cvd-risk-2

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes, I agree. It is because since 2014 NICE has recommended not to fast, supposedly to make it easier for the surgeries as they can do the tests at any time of day and not be restricted to earlyish mornings, thus they are able to fit in more people each day and save people having to wait for an appointment. If the triglycerides are high enough to cause concern, they are supposed to arrange a fasting test. (that is trigs between 4.5 and 9.9mmol/l)
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg...d-assessing-cardiovascular-disease-cvd-risk-2
I always have my blood draw for my diabetic review tests (hba1c, lipid panel liver & kidney function, BG, etc) done by phlebotamists at the hospital / outreach clinics - they always check what time Ive fasted from and the one time I hadn’t, they refused to do it so I had to go back the next day

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep along with coffee with cream and tea with lactofree milk.. so far down 2.8 pounds since Jan 1 possibly burning off Christmas "excess" which consisted a lot of 90% choc and possibly more pigs in blankets than were advisable while cooking Christmas lunch.

Same here @bulkbiker down 1.6kg (3.5lbs) in the past week and almost back to the top end of my maintenance weight range. Ketones up to 2.4 (from 0.8).

Christmas (and the few weeks before) saw way too much high cocoa chocolate, almond nut butter, nuts etc.) for me.

Are we posting updates during carnivore month? Would definitely find it motivating.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here @bulkbiker down 1.6kg (3.5lbs) in the past week and almost back to the top end of my maintenance weight range. Ketones up to 2.4 (from 0.8).

Christmas (and the few weeks before) saw way too much high cocoa chocolate, almond nut butter, nuts etc.) for me.

Are we posting updates during carnivore month? Would definitely find it motivating.
Sounds like a plan I'll start a new thread ok?

Reactions: Goonergal