Unexpected sugar in foods

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many medical appointments
The winter months, it’s cold when you’re bald!
Yesterday I had tinned soup instead of my usual home made version. BG 6.3 before lunch had risen to12.5 by tea time. I’m steroid induced diabetic so used to high readings during chemo treatment but this is my week off so used to BG in single figures. Anyone else been caught out? Moral of the story - eat home made!

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, many things have added sugar (or other carbs).
As much as I'd love to cook from scratch every meal, I don't have the time or, sometimes, can't get all the ingredients for, say, harissa.
So, the lesson from me is to always read the label if I eat from a packet ... or tin ... or jar.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or read the label. At the beginning of my journey I was caught out a few times. I very quickly learned to read the ingredients not just the carb count.

Reactions: kitedoc

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately, many things have added sugar (or other carbs).
As much as I'd love to cook from scratch every meal, I don't have the time or, sometimes, can't get all the ingredients for, say, harissa.
So, the lesson from me is to always read the label if I eat from a packet ... or tin ... or jar.
We've just been to Lapland with our grandchildren. Hotel did French Onion soup one night, good but tasted sweet. Found the chef who said she had added 3 tablespoons of brown sugar to 10 litres of soup. Why? Bag's OK but you do have to be wary when you're outside your normal environment

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
We have a soup maker, throw everything in switch on and 21 mins you have a piping hot smooth soup which lasts three or four days in the fridge. Our favourite is broccoli and or cauliflower, small onion, water then add grated cheese when done , rarely lasts more then a day as its so tasty! Very rare to have anything tinned or out of a packet now.

Reactions: Lizzie2 and Sue192

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Home made soup is just so much more tasty and when you factor in cost it's a no brainer. The tinned soups are such a rip off. Beware of soups in the chilled section, too as I have never yet seen one that doesn't have a shed load of carbs in it.

Favourite soups for the family are cheese and broccoli, and cream of celery soup. Very filling and great winter warmers.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Home made soup is just so much more tasty and when you factor in cost it's a no brainer. The tinned soups are such a rip off. Beware of soups in the chilled section, too as I have never yet seen one that doesn't have a shed load of carbs in it.

Favourite soups for the family are cheese and broccoli, and cream of celery soup. Very filling and great winter warmers.
I grow my own veg and make unusual combinations of soup, depending on what’s around. I still have butternut squash and pumpkins to use up. Daughter was ill and wanted Heinz tomato soup so I joined her, last time ever!

Reactions: Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We have a soup maker, throw everything in switch on and 21 mins you have a piping hot smooth soup which lasts three or four days in the fridge. Our favourite is broccoli and or cauliflower, small onion, water then add grated cheese when done , rarely lasts more then a day as its so tasty! Very rare to have anything tinned or out of a packet now.
Your soup maker sounds fab. I use a slow cooker then blitz in the food processor, making a huge mess whilst I’m at it. Think I’ll invest in a soup maker - any advice to makes/functionality? Thanks x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your soup maker sounds fab. I use a slow cooker then blitz in the food processor, making a huge mess whilst I’m at it. Think I’ll invest in a soup maker - any advice to makes/functionality? Thanks x
I use a slow cooker, and then use a stick blender similar to this one: https://direct.asda.com/george/home...Vq7ftCh1oiQmwEAQYAyABEgIp2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds in the pot to blitz it. No extra mess, virtually no extra washing up, and much cheaper than a soup maker

Reactions: Tickledpinknot

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saucepan and stick blender for me. Never understood the need for a rice cooker either.

Reactions: Tickledpinknot
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got a soup maker recently and I love it. Shove everything in it and 20 minutes later you are tucking in.

RetroHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I had tinned soup instead of my usual home made version. BG 6.3 before lunch had risen to12.5 by tea time. I’m steroid induced diabetic so used to high readings during chemo treatment but this is my week off so used to BG in single figures. Anyone else been caught out? Moral of the story - eat home made!
It's happened to me lately as well. Sad fact was that it was with food I had been previously so careful to read the label of a while ago. Manufacturers of my favourite plain live yoghurt stopped thickening it naturally and were adding more milk powder instead (likely to speed up the process or get it on shop shelves quicker) and milk powder has concentrated lactose, which must have pushed up the sugar/carb content to a ridiculous level and I hadn't noticed until I metered my self. Same has happened with shop bought cottage cheese, once very low carb, now thickened with added starch, so it is more creamy, but now high carb - so no more of that as the occasional treat on batons of veg. You have to be vigilant for bulking out products with sugars/starches because they were told to lower the fat and salt content by government guidelines and felt this would lose the taste/texture - hence the added sugars/starches that weren't there last time you read the label and you get caught out!

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

Hi would you mind giving me some of your recipes? I hate cooking and don’t have much time but I want soup.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Take a course, look online ...