Ever heard of this website?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stumbled on this and am confused. It recommends the exact opposite of what a lot of people on here have found works well for them. It is also pretty much the “diet” I ate for more than a year before diagnosis - low fat plant based diet ! Thoughts please.

Reactions: kitedoc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stumbled on this and am confused. It recommends the exact opposite of what a lot of people on here have found works well for them. It is also pretty much the “diet” I ate for more than a year before diagnosis - low fat plant based diet ! Thoughts please.
What site?

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ill stab a guess at either

https://nutritionfacts.org the "facts" part is ironic I believe..

Or

https://www.mangomannutrition.com

Do I win a prize?.. both are firm advocates of a WFPB way of eating that as most of us know to our cost won't help T2 much..

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thoughts please.

What does your meter say. My younger brother was recommended a low GI diet on being told he was pre-diabetic. I did try to encourage him to try lower glycemic load or lower carb but to no avail. No surprise that he is now a medicated type II diabetic.
There is no one size fits all and we are all free to follow what advice we want to. Personally I have found that by following a low carb diet (<50gms in my case) I don't have to take Gliclazide or Januvia (I took both) and I no longer have to have conversations about cholesterol or take Atorvastatin any more as my total cholesterol is now only 4. BTW, I didn't increase fat although I have tried to, I'm better off on low fat and low carb, but that's just me.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does your meter say. My younger brother was recommended a low GI diet on being told he was pre-diabetic. I did try to encourage him to try lower glycemic load or lower carb but to no avail. No surprise that he is now a medicated type II diabetic.
There is no one size fits all and we are all free to follow what advice we want to. Personally I have found that by following a low carb diet (<50gms in my case) I don't have to take Gliclazide or Januvia (I took both) and I no longer have to have conversations about cholesterol or take Atorvastatin any more as my total cholesterol is now only 4. BTW, I didn't increase fat although I have tried to, I'm better off on low fat and low carb, but that's just me.

I’m very much enjoying and succeeding with LCHF. Just intrigued and curious as the suggested eating style advised there was pretty much what I was doing fir a long time before (shock) diagnosis..... although not sure I ever reached 900g carbs pd!!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is also pretty much the “diet” I ate for more than a year before diagnosis
There's no clue to what website you're referring to, but it obviously doesn't work for you or you wouldn't have gotten your diagnosis...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
WFPB. Geger, Ornish and Kahn at top of page meant I had to go no further, lucky that :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
About the Author

Cyrus Khambatta earned a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry from UC Berkeley after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in his senior year of college at Stanford University in 2002. He is an internationally recognized nutrition and fitness coach for people living with type 1, type 1.5, prediabetes and type 2 diabetes, and has helped hundreds of people around the world achieve exceptional insulin sensitivity by adopting low-fat, plant-based whole foods nutrition.

Need I say more?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m very much enjoying and succeeding with LCHF. Just intrigued and curious as the suggested eating style advised there was pretty much what I was doing fir a long time before (shock) diagnosis..... although not sure I ever reached 900g carbs pd!!!

I reckon it's quite easy to total 900carbs a day on an average person's diet. If you eat a couple of packets of crisps, a chocolate bar or two plus a bowl of pasta, two slices of toast etc, that can easily add up and it doesn't necessarily amount to overeating either.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I reckon it's quite easy to total 900carbs a day on an average person's diet. If you eat a couple of packets of crisps, a chocolate bar or two plus a bowl of pasta, two slices of toast etc, that can easily add up and it doesn't necessarily amount to overeating either.

Especially if you're having full fat pop. I know a lass who can easily finish a 2ltr bottle of Coke in a day. And it is not diet Coke.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Maybe that diet works for some people. However, I know for sure the LCHF (mostly meat) worked for me.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Especially if you're having full fat pop. I know a lass who can easily finish a 2ltr bottle of Coke in a day. And it is not diet Coke.
Tut-Tut @Guzzler you know only too well that 'classic coke' is 0% fat, but loads of sugar.
Just shows how ingrained the anti-fat propaganda has become :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The author quotes lots of references but they are not listed at the end of his article - no way to check them.
And his experience seems almost diametrically opposite to Dr Richard Bernstein's experience.
And with 10 to 15 % fat in his diet that means up to 90% of it is shared by protein and carbs. But can you actually attain say 45% protein without also having the accompanying fats not accumulate to > 10%.?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You think!!! Two packets of crisps and a chocolate bar or TWO plus pasta is not overeating?!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Its the partner site to the mangoman one I linked to so I was half right Cyrus Khambatta is "Mangoman" a vegan T1 who makes lots of claims abut T2 without providing much (if any) evidence.. bit like the vegans I encountered today on Twitter who charmingly called me an ignorant pr**k.. they really know how to win an argument..
Maybe the vegans are addled by self-imposed B12 deficiency ??

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its the partner site to the mangoman one I linked to so I was half right Cyrus Khambatta is "Mangoman" a vegan T1 who makes lots of claims abut T2 without providing much (if any) evidence.. bit like the vegans I encountered today on Twitter who charmingly called me an ignorant pr**k.. they really know how to win an argument..

Thanks bb. How rude of them!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
not sure I ever reached 900g carbs pd!!!

I think I know the website you mean now, I did see something like it some time ago. I think it's fair to say that we'd all be in need of a lot of medication to cope with 900gms carbohydrate and a lot of extra exercise to cater for the approximately 3600 calories and that's before we add anything for protein and fats.

Edit: Just seen the link and I'm just gob smacked, so without calling anyone names as much as I'm tempted to and that includes some of the people adding their tuppence worth at that URL, it just goes to show how different we all are. Perhaps there is some alien genes in some of us, just don't know which aliens or which humans.

I just know what happens when I increase my carbs and it certainly doesn't "cure" insulin resistance.

Last edited: