Should the law mandate vegan meals

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And another success for Peta. They should be put on the list of banned organisations

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-w_Zea0zCDHvZ-12Y7-gZW_slyNugztUBCbU6qE76SqeA
I don't have a problem with this at all. There is a market for these goods, and it does not interfere with my needs which are not being curtailed. I trust that the Quorn has been humanely slaughtered of course and does not come from a battery farm. I prefer my batteries to be alive when I buy them.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently discovered how quorn is manufactured.
Will never eat it again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
Coming back to the OP, I note that the product is not generically vegan, I have not seen my local supermart offer a vegan Quorn, so will this change when the law changes?

Personally I do not see much difference between Quorn and other yeast type products, such as Marmite, Bovril Vegemite, yoghurts and beer that use yeast cultures, In future I suspect that mankind will need to use algae and other microbiological sources for human food consumption, that is if the vegans win the war and we no longer need Quorn as an animal feedstock. (oops, we don't now even though it was originally intended to be just that - I think the economics will change in time and it may come back)

I do wonder what vitamins they have to add, and if they add any of the B vits.

D

Deleted member 371625

It certainly isn't taking anything away from non-vegans. There is no suggestion that meat and dairy should be banned.

Yet.

Appeasement never works. Vegan activists will never be happy until animal products are illegal, not just steak but eggs, milk, leather, wool, silk etc.
Plastic shoes, nylon clothing and meat free diet. I guess I would be in bother for fishing and shooting too, though I believe this to be more ethical than factory farming.
That said, providing a vegan option is fine, making it a crime not to do so is insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 371625

What is being demanded by activists is that vegans are recognised as a protected minority under the Equality Act 2010.
This would mean that discrimination against vegans would be a criminal offence, e.g.. not providing suitable food. It also mandates that consideration and adjustments be made regarding service provision, i.e. vegan meals always provided in all public sector (possibly all private too, courts yet to rule on this) food establishments.
Technically any criticism of vegans could be regarded as a criminal offence.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We would also lose £5, £10, £50 plastic notes since these are not vegan either. I think shooting at fixed targets might be allowed, but leave the fish to die from natural causes. But some greases used to lubricate cartridges and guns are animal based, so may need to be replaced too. There are few vegan beers and we will lose some alcoholic beverages since finings used to clarify is derived from animal products, and Mead will also become extinct since honey is non vegan too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We would also lose £5, £10, £50 plastic notes since these are not vegan either. I think shooting at fixed targets might be allowed, but leave the fish to die from natural causes. But some greases used to lubricate cartridges and guns are animal based, so may need to be replaced too. There are few vegan beers and we will lose some alcoholic beverages since finings used to clarify is derived from animal products, and Mead will also become extinct since honey is non vegan too.
I'm guessing if you take it to the nth degree then anything farmed is both exploiting the farmers and the plants so in an ideal world vegans could only eat what they have grown themselves from non sentient plants? Maybe they won't last long after all...

Ponchu

They will demand animal produce free kitchens to produce "proper" vegan food and so the schools will have to go completely vegan in order to make this work. I'm afraid it is just another element of "vegan creep" that we are seeing. With so few vegans in the UK it seems weird that they are allowed to get away with making so much noise with so little checking on the science they use to promote their ideology..

There’s plenty of science to show how unhealthy this cult like eating is.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s plenty of science to show how unhealthy this cult like eating is.
can you provide any references to this science? It would be helpful if we can collate some that support that point of view. I feel instinctively that is probably true for many of this forum, but that is conjecture. When vegans tell me that I can cure my T2D by following their diet, then I know that for me personally it has proven to be a disaster, but that is a sample of (n=1)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local Aldi is celebrating Veganuary, and has an aisle dedicated to vegan produce. Mein Gott ! I was stunned at how the attachment of a VEGAN sticker seems to double the price. For example, a jar of regular pasta bake sauce normally retails there for about 70p for a large jar, but the small jar of vegan pasta sauce was £1.40. The aisle was full of vegan compatible junk food such as brittle bars and chocolate flavoured sweeties. All high carb produce it seems, and I did not find anything to base an LC version of this dietplan on these shelves. Be better off just eating up my greens,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local Aldi is celebrating Veganuary, and has an aisle dedicated to vegan produce. Mein Gott ! I was stunned at how the attachment of a VEGAN sticker seems to double the price. For example, a jar of regular pasta bake sauce normally retails there for about 70p for a large jar, but the small jar of vegan pasta sauce was £1.40. The aisle was full of vegan compatible junk food such as brittle bars and chocolate flavoured sweeties. All high carb produce it seems, and I did not find anything to base an LC version of this dietplan on these shelves. Be better off just eating up my greens,

Exactly the same with Gluten Free products. Better to just eat real food and avoid all the processed stuff.
(although when I went GF I did spend a happy month or two gambolling down the GF FreeFrom aisles of various supermarkets testing lots of different things. But the result was that my blood glucose rose, though not by quite so much, and my purse emptied faster than usual. Rather a waste of time, really).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My opinion as a life long veggie (former vegan) should the law be changed to mandate the provision of vegan food - NO.

The NHS and schools are already battling with under-funding. But politics and the factory produced vegan fake foods are a whole other post....

My school age carnivore kids reckon some of the "meat" products served in their school could be classed as vegan due to low amount of meat :)
Ha! Like the vegetarian beef pot noodle!

Reactions: hankjam

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find it is not so simple as this. Premises chosen to serve vegan food will need to be adapted to give a separate prep and storage area to prevent cross contamination. At present this is not a legal requirement but the Act being prepared for MSP's to vote on later this year brings in regulation and licencing requirements as a legal necessity.
https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/307955/vegetarian-and-vegan-foods

Edit to add: This is to be reinforced by the EU as follows
http://www.euroveg.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/EVU-PP-Definition-FIC-September2015.pdf

It's a bit similar to places offering Halal food (I live in Bradford, UK and there is a large Muslim population here). There has to be such a clear division between Halal and non Halal food that in effect it is very difficult for somewhere to offer both. I know for example that Subway have Halal restaurants, or non Halal restaurants. Because of the requirements to do both in the same restaurant they simply could not become certified Halal without employing more staff and equipment.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hbz-avocado-index-1515005991.jpg

We have loads in common with vegans! Avocado latte anyone (it is a thing)
If there's a market for vegan fare then let the market provide that food. Unless it is doing anyone harm, then I am happy for anyone to do whatever they want whether that's changing gender, becoming a Jedai Knight or eat no animal products. To my mind the rationality of such choices is not relevant in this debate.
But if I choose not to acknowledge or cater for your choice then I have not oppressed you and you've got the right to spend your money at another establishment or preferably argue the merits of your position with me once you've had a rice cake to up your blood sugar a little...
If direct or implied criticism of any of these choices is codified as discriminatory then that is wrong in so many ways.
This is the psychology of purity/disgust which aims to take the moral high ground on grounds of saving the planet and the animals (apart from slugs poisined by pesticides obviously) from us, the dominant species. I find this self-loathing really vile and it promotes yet another category of victims created by the carnivorous/ patriarchy. Note that the above image comes from an article I found entitled 'Anti vegetarianism is sexism in disguise'
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a14539150/anti-vegetarianism-sexism/

Reactions: LooperCat
I haven't had time to read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned.

I am totally against giving children a vegan diet because I'm sure that there are some nutrients which cannot be gained from even a vegetarian diet. When my eldest was small you could buy a vegetarian formula - Hipp Organic. Before my youngest was born Hipp changed the forumla to include fish oil and removed all references to being vegetarian. The reason they did this was that the evidence was overwhelming that LCP's were essential in helping with the development of baby's brains and these are not present in cow's milk. To add them to forumla they use oil (I believe from tuna fish eyes).

If there are essential nutrients missing from a vegetarian diet surely there are going to be even more missing in a more restricted diet. This is why I'm against restricting babies and children to a vegan diet. I also believe vitamin B12 is missing from a vegan diet though it is added to vegan "milk" such as almond milk.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is being demanded by activists is that vegans are recognised as a protected minority under the Equality Act 2010.
This would mean that discrimination against vegans would be a criminal offence, e.g.. not providing suitable food. It also mandates that consideration and adjustments be made regarding service provision, i.e. vegan meals always provided in all public sector (possibly all private too, courts yet to rule on this) food establishments.
Technically any criticism of vegans could be regarded as a criminal offence.

Would that mean vegan restaurants would have to serve meat too so our rights are represented?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When something needs coercion to implement, consider why.

Not sure this applies. Consider the laws on drink driving, motorcycle helmets, smokeless fuels and child labour etc etc.