Do you ride a motorbike?

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
I used to be an instructor and we often had motorcycle cops come and give chats to course attendees. One thing that has always stuck in my mind is them (the cops) telling us that most accidents happen at speeds below 30mph, because that's when you (or the 3rd party) are often not paying full attention. Many of these accidents are worse than high speed accidents simply because they happen in towns, involve another vehicle and you're not travelling fast enough to be thrown clear of the collision.

Of course part of this is anecdotal and I've never seen any data to support it but food for thought perhaps. "I feel the need for speed."

I know what you mean about "the need for speed" . It's like sex, isn't it ? That perfect co-ordination of choosing a line to the nearest millimetre, the exact amount of lean into a bend and the most delicate control of the throttle to stop things getting out of hand..... pure sex...whatever the f*** that is !

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Daryl72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks..;)

Lovely bikes...:happy:

And the rush of a bike...i do feel sorry for those car owners that have to spend in BIG ££££ to get anywhere near that feeling...:D

Boys at work all like to brag about 'the ' Fast' cars they have...winds them right up when i snigger..LoL

Mine..
uc

And the bike..as a therapy, it got me through some awfully dark times.
but a good run out, the wind in my face, car disappearing in the wing mirrors...suddenly all alone out on the road...<sigh>
then back home with a clear head, and good to GO..back into the mix for another 24/7 week ..PRICELESS.

Definitely clears your head off stress and depression

Reactions: Prem51 and Rockman

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

I have just passed my cbt and have my first 2 days on mod1 on 3/4th Jan, then 8/9th for mod2, getting nervous

48 years old hehe, too late for mid life crisis I reckon, im tearing about on a yamaha ybr practising everyday although I feel like a pizza delivery boy, once I pass im thinking about a triumph bonneville but will sit on 100 different bikes until I find a nice fit

Reactions: Prem51 and Rockman

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
Hi guys

I have just passed my cbt and have my first 2 days on mod1 on 3/4th Jan, then 8/9th for mod2, getting nervous

48 years old hehe, too late for mid life crisis I reckon, im tearing about on a yamaha ybr practising everyday although I feel like a pizza delivery boy, once I pass im thinking about a triumph bonneville but will sit on 100 different bikes until I find a nice fit
Never to late to ride the motorbike

Reactions: Fenn and Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

welcome to the club, @Fenn

good luck on the Mods..
Old enough to have that sensible head on..you'll be fine.

And lets be honest, us chaps never really grow up..so what midlife crisis...LoL

that's the best idea.
THEN find a forum for that bike..it will save you a fortune in money and time, AND hopefully make some biking friends.

Edut, and don't forget to factor in the insurance, before you set your heart on something early doors
new rider against you, but age is for you...plus where you live/park etc.

weirdly fully comp CAN sometimes be cheaper then TPF&T..go figure....o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenn and Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To all you bikers.

It's a new year..

for those who don't ride during winter..spring is on it's WAY...:D
For those who do...stay warm, stay safe & may the angels on our shoulders forever keep us safe...:happy:

Rubber, tarmac AND a Throttle..what's NOT to love. :D :watching:....YAHOOO :woot::cat:

happy 2019 all.

Reactions: Prem51

MangosteenElbow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just completed a 2,200km tour in the country and northern rivers of NSW on my trusty one pot GS.

Due to my miscalculation and a mystery meal en route, I had to change to a new cartridge and a new infusion set "in the field". It was around 40°C and at a remote rest area in the middle of a 160km stretch between towns.
Insulin had stayed chilled nonetheless in the bag strapped to the motorbike.
Tried not to be too obvious to the person who also stopped there to exercise their yappy dogs.
Overall, using the bike as my workbench in the middle of nowhere to fussbudget with plastic, vial and tubes, my behaviour (including appearing to afix something to the midriff) was less weird than an owner chatting away to their dogs.

During the trip, I lost my phone (while supposedly mounted) and, by that, photo proof, ergo:
Motorbike + phone + Australian country roads challenges 》motorbike + IDDM challenges .

Reactions: LooperCat

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marvellous stuff @MangosteenElbow

A blow about losing the phone, I guess that was ALL the photos gone..:sorry:

And true, talking to our pets, it must seem weird to non pet owners...:hilarious:

Great to have such a journey under your belt
Best I've done on bike here (UK) was Midlands...(did have a whole trip to Scotland planned AND paid for with my bike forum, but came off ( low speed ) the day before I was due to leave..damaged bike, and cracked 2 ribs, so had to cancel..other then that it was just our annual meeting at Newbury...

I Have however, travelled (( by scooter, admittedly ) through most of Goa, india.
So I do still have some sort of '''iron butt' badge. LoL..:wacky:.

Off back in march, hoping to rent Enfield and go the cool russian biker route..:D

Travel safe, mate

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Marvellous stuff @MangosteenElbow

A blow about losing the phone, I guess that was ALL the photos gone..:sorry:

And true, talking to our pets, it must seem weird to non pet owners...:hilarious:

Great to have such a journey under your belt
Best I've done on bike here (UK) was Midlands...(did have a whole trip to Scotland planned AND paid for with my bike forum, but came off ( low speed ) the day before I was due to leave..damaged bike, and cracked 2 ribs, so had to cancel..other then that it was just our annual meeting at Newbury...

I Have however, travelled (( by scooter, admittedly ) through most of Goa, india.
So I do still have some sort of '''iron butt' badge. LoL..:wacky:.

Off back in march, hoping to rent Enfield and go the cool russian biker route..:D

Travel safe, mate
I lost the camera off the back of my Speed Triple when I was riding around Norway back in 2002, lost all my digital pics. Luckily I’d also got my medium format film camera kit with me (the joys of having your own bike and not sharing luggage - you can take exactly what you want!), so I still had a good record of my trip...

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost the camera off the back of my Speed Triple when I was riding around Norway back in 2002, lost all my digital pics. Luckily I’d also got my medium format film camera kit with me (the joys of having your own bike and not sharing luggage - you can take exactly what you want!), so I still had a good record of my trip...

Sounds an epic trip, @Mel dCP .

seen some other bikers pics of norway, some fantastic scenery

Reactions: LooperCat

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou :)

Im a putput type not a vroom vroom type hehe, pretty ecstatic, huge relief :D

Reactions: Prem51