Higher readings than doctor? machine to blame?

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone - 1st time poster.

I have been T2 since May 2017 and taking 1000mg Metformin daily. My Hbac1 has been around 6.0 so I am pleased.

HOWEVER - I recently had the first of at least 3 monthly injections of Prostap - which is used to shrink uterine fibroids before I have my hysterectomy Mar/Apr.

Prostap can affect blood glucose amongst other things so I have just been aware of any changes.

This week - Monday to Thursday I have been horrendously hungry, even eating things I don't really like. I decided to take my blood sugar reading - I do not do this regularly as the diabetic nurse said there was no need. A friend got me an SD Biosensor machine for Christmas so I thought I would make use of it. Anyhoo, my readings were, at the highest 12.5 and at the lowest 9.8. I managed to get an appt at docs this afternoon and she couldn't understand why I was so hungry yet my readings were so high. She took my blood sugar and it was 4.8!! She has advised that I take readings over the next week then I am to see her on Friday next. I came straight home and took a reading using my SD Biosensor machine and the reading was 10.2!!

I'm beginning to think that my meter is at fault and that I may, in fact, need to stop taking or at least reduce my metformin when I see the doc next. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or machine recommendations I would be very glad to hear them.

Thank you

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone - 1st time poster.

I have been T2 since May 2017 and taking 1000mg Metformin daily. My Hbac1 has been around 6.0 so I am pleased.

HOWEVER - I recently had the first of at least 3 monthly injections of Prostap - which is used to shrink uterine fibroids before I have my hysterectomy Mar/Apr.

Prostap can affect blood glucose amongst other things so I have just been aware of any changes.

This week - Monday to Thursday I have been horrendously hungry, even eating things I don't really like. I decided to take my blood sugar reading - I do not do this regularly as the diabetic nurse said there was no need. A friend got me an SD Biosensor machine for Christmas so I thought I would make use of it. Anyhoo, my readings were, at the highest 12.5 and at the lowest 9.8. I managed to get an appt at docs this afternoon and she couldn't understand why I was so hungry yet my readings were so high. She took my blood sugar and it was 4.8!! She has advised that I take readings over the next week then I am to see her on Friday next. I came straight home and took a reading using my SD Biosensor machine and the reading was 10.2!!

I'm beginning to think that my meter is at fault and that I may, in fact, need to stop taking or at least reduce my metformin when I see the doc next. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or machine recommendations I would be very glad to hear them.

Thank you
Hi and welcome to the forum
I dont know that particular meter but it sounds like you are getting sketchy results with it
I use the Tee2 from Spirit healthcare as a back up to my NHS prescribed Gluco RX meter - both seem to broadly agree with each other and the hba1c predicted by My sugr based on the readings they produced was within 1 mmol of the actual lab result ( 42 vs 43).so Id reccomend either of those meters ( the Tee2 is cheaper Option for a self funder)
The other thing to ensure is that you wash your hands well before soing a test - we get all sorts of contamminants on our fingers which can make for rogue readings

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome to the forum
I dont know that particular meter but it sounds like you are getting sketchy results with it
I use the Tee2 from Spirit healthcare as a back up to my NHS prescribed Gluco RX meter - both seem to broadly agree with each other and the hba1c predicted by My sugr based on the readings they produced was within 1 mmol of the actual lab result ( 42 vs 43).so Id reccomend either of those meters ( the Tee2 is cheaper Option for a self funder)
The other thing to ensure is that you wash your hands well before soing a test - we get all sorts of contamminants on our fingers which can make for rogue readings

Thank you, Boo1979, that is very helpful - I never realised there were so many machines on the market. Can you tell me, please, specifically which models of the Tee2 and Gluco RX you have, if that is not any trouble to you?

Thank you

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @dannysmam
Firstly, I have to say it, but there is EVERY need to check your blood glucose, in spite of what the nurse told you. How are you to be expected to learn what foods affect your glucose levels without testing before and after eating each food stuff?

Unfortunately, on here you will read so many stories of incorrect information given by a large portion of Health Care Professionals. The best advice you can be offered is to do your own research and make up your own mind as to how you find your body (blood glucose levels) are affected etc.

If you are looking for another glucometer, make sure you check the cost of the testing strips before you buy. The testing strips are the items you will have to buy for a long time and the cost can be quite prohibitive. I'm not sure if it's still the case but it could be worth checking the manufacturers before you buy as it may be they will be happy to give you the glucometer for free - coz you will be buying the test strips.

Wishing you well :)

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @dannysmam
Firstly, I have to say it, but there is EVERY need to check your blood glucose, in spite of what the nurse told you. How are you to be expected to learn what foods affect your glucose levels without testing before and after eating each food stuff?

Unfortunately, on here you will read so many stories of incorrect information given by a large portion of Health Care Professionals. The best advice you can be offered is to do your own research and make up your own mind as to how you find your body (blood glucose levels) are affected etc.

If you are looking for another glucometer, make sure you check the cost of the testing strips before you buy. The testing strips are the items you will have to buy for a long time and the cost can be quite prohibitive. I'm not sure if it's still the case but it could be worth checking the manufacturers before you buy as it may be they will be happy to give you the glucometer for free - coz you will be buying the test strips.

Wishing you well :)

Thank you Energize :)

Reactions: Energize

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a faulty meter to me. Any time i visit the nurse I ask to test with her meter and test with my meter at the same time. They won't be the same, but they shouldn't be too far off either.
Have you checked the expiration date of your test strips?

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Boo1979 -

I have to assume my machine is defunct and have taken the plunge and ordered a Gluco Rx Nexus and will hopefully get it tomorrow. thank you very much for your help :)

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Antje77 - thankyou - didn't think to look at that.

No, expiry date is showing as Sept 2019 so they should be okay.

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Boo1979.

I ordered the Gluco RX Nexus from Amazon last night and received it this morning. After doing the control test I decided to test my blood using both new and old machines.

Gluco RX reading was a very acceptable 4.8, whilst the old SD Biosensor gave a reading of 10.3!!

Will continue to do readings as the doctor asked for a week's worth - but I must say I am much happier today than yesterday.

Thank you to all for your advice in this - really, really appreciated.

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @dannysmam

The SD Biosensor is the Codefree meter unless I am very much mistaken. The Biosensor bit is the name of the manufacturer.
This meter has the cheapest strips and is one of the most popular meters for self funders on this forum.

What I suggest is you take the meter to your next nurse appointment and ask her to test you with her machine and then test yourself with yours at the same time, for comparison. However, you must wash your hands and dry them thoroughly.
It is all too easy to blame a meter when it could be any number of other things.

I suggest you test more frequently at home - before each meal and 2 hours after first bite. This will show you instantly what that meal did to your glucose levels and give you chance to reduce some of the carbs or eliminate some completely. Doing this alongside a food diary will very quickly produce patterns you can learn from.

You are prepared for the Prostap to possibly be increasing your levels, but it may also be causing your raging hunger. Have you checked on the possible side effects of it, or done some research?

dannysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Bluetit1802.

Yes, it was the Codefree machine. I will keep hold of it for now and double test against my new machine throughout this week. It does, however, seem to be giving consistently high results.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bluetit1802.

Yes, it was the Codefree machine. I will keep hold of it for now and double test against my new machine throughout this week. It does, however, seem to be giving consistently high results.

The Codefree does read higher than some other meters - but not THAT much higher. I would try opening another tub of strips and seeing if they make a difference. Sometimes they do vary between tubs, and also between different batches of tubs (the batch number will be on the box) @Rachox has done a thread about this. Maybe she will call in and explain, and give you a link to it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You did mention a control test with your new meter.
Have you done a test with your strips and a test solution for the original meter?

I would be tempted to contact the manufacturer and arrange to return the meter for replacement.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only