Protein powder. Lower bs overnight. Type 2

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently started taking 30g of casein powder(slow relise milk protein) before bed for muscle building porpoises.
Have noticed that overnight bs are lower as well as fasting. Usually my fasting bs were around 6.3 it dropped down to 5.6 after adding the powder to diet. Not sure if slow relise protein makes pancreas realise some insulin overnight therefore sugars would be lower? Not sure if it's a good thing cos it's making pancreas to work overnight. Should it be resting? But anyway it's been 2 weeks now and sugars are lower so I'm happy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently started taking 30g of casein powder(slow relise milk protein) before bed for muscle building porpoises.
Have noticed that overnight bs are lower as well as fasting. Usually my fasting bs were around 6.3 it dropped down to 5.6 after adding the powder to diet. Not sure if slow relise protein makes pancreas realise some insulin overnight therefore sugars would be lower? Not sure if it's a good thing cos it's making pancreas to work overnight. Should it be resting? But anyway it's been 2 weeks now and sugars are lower so I'm happy
Hello @lucas12, sorry for the very late response. I'd be most interested in an update on your experience with casein powder. How many g carbs does it contain per portion? Do you take it also straight after your workouts (I'm assuming with weights). Are you taking casein powder regularly at bedtime still, and how have your fasting bgs been responding? Any reports would be valuable.

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @lucas12, sorry for the very late response. I'd be most interested in an update on your experience with casein powder. How many g carbs does it contain per portion? Do you take it also straight after your workouts (I'm assuming with weights). Are you taking casein powder regularly at bedtime still, and how have your fasting bgs been responding? Any reports would be valuable.
Hey Alexandra. Maby it's too early to say but since I'm taking it my overall bs went down
This morning I woke up with bs 4.8, after 6 h of sleep,never had it that low before when fasting. For me when my fasting bs are low they tend to be lower throughout the day as well.
I am taking 30 grams just before bed. I'm doing weight training 3 times a week, the other days running or cycling.
I'm using hydrolised whey protein straight after workouts and now started to use casein for overnight slow protein relise.
It wasn't my intention at all to lower my bs by taking it, quite the opposite I was expecting for it to be higher. That was a nice surprise especially that my diet is mainly fats and protein so I was worried that the excess of protein would higher my bs.
Any questions please feel free

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Alexandra. Maby it's too early to say but since I'm taking it my overall bs went down
This morning I woke up with bs 4.8, after 6 h of sleep,never had it that low before when fasting. For me when my fasting bs are low they tend to be lower throughout the day as well.
I am taking 30 grams just before bed. I'm doing weight training 3 times a week, the other days running or cycling.
I'm using hydrolised whey protein straight after workouts and now started to use casein for overnight slow protein relise.
It wasn't my intention at all to lower my bs by taking it, quite the opposite I was expecting for it to be higher. That was a nice surprise especially that my diet is mainly fats and protein so I was worried that the excess of protein would higher my bs.
Any questions please feel free
Thanks Lucas, that's really interesting. I'm impressed by your great exercise programme. Ideally I try to alternate running days and weight training days, but things never work out quite to plan. Like you I'd thought the high protein content of a protein shake would raise my bg, so your experience is very encouraging. Straight after weight training I eat some low carb cheese and nuts, but I feel that's not ideal as the high fat content is likely to delay absorption. Presumably a low fat liquid would hit the spot sooner.
I'd particularly like to lower my fasting bg, as like you I find that it sets the tone for the whole day. Do you know how many carbs per 100g your casein powder contains? I am thinking of ordering from Pink Sun. Their casein has 5.5g carbs per 100g. Their whey isolate has only 0.7g carbs. However I have just messaged them to query the fact that the ingredients they declare don't actually add up to 100g!

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Alexandra. So nice to hear that there is someone in simular routine and curiosity.
Casein from Holland barret is I guess 2g per 30g portion
I've bought one frome My protein online store and it is 1g of carbs per 30 and it's cheaper cos they got that 40% off in January. So I've bought 5kg for just over 40£
Have you ever tried to have fast acting carbs along with protein shake strait after workout I mean like a lot? Like banana or even 2?
That's another of my findings during m research. So I found that after 1.5h strength training followed by 15 min cardio. My body can actually absorb up to 50g of fast acting carbs strait after without significant bs raise or any after hours consequences. I've checked my sugars every 10min for hours and many times and it Sims to work each time. And this is my routine for year now. Only tried it cos I wanted to try creatine and heard that it work best with fast acting carbs and another surprise it work . But what works for me might not work for anyone. We all different

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you ever tried to have fast acting carbs along with protein shake strait after workout I mean like a lot? Like banana or even 2?
That's a very interesting idea. The thing is, I do my weights workout, really pushing hard, then eat my cheese and nuts, then usually do a bit of a shop for food and then carry my heavy rucsac uphill for about a mile to my house. This often feels really really hard. When I get in I check my bg and it is often up, but I don't know if it is in response to the protein in the cheese or the (few) carbs in the nuts, or a reaction to my feeling exhausted while carrying that heavy weight up the hill after my training. I'm not sure how I'd ever work that out, but I suppose if I tried the high carb snack before leaving the gym and I got a BETTER bg when I got home, or even felt better, that would be an indication. I am hoping to try out a Libre sensor soon, so I should know better then what happens during my sleep.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So nice to hear that there is someone in simular routine and curiosity.
Indeed! I have searched around a lot online, but most of the people who work out seem to be on insulin, which of course changes everything.

lucas12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey. We just need to keep trying new things an it's good to take some ideas from people. I've red Dr Bearstins book where he's indicating that different strenth exercises can ether lover or raise your bs. For example back raise and shoulders lover etc. So it's interesting
Always wanted to try Libre but for now instead I'm spending loads of money for testing strips on my contour next one. I find this one to be the best.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've red Dr Bearstins book where he's indicating that different strenth exercises can ether lover or raise your bs. For example back raise and shoulders lover etc. So it's interesting
I missed that bit, I shall have to go back to the book, thanks!

Reactions: OrsonKartt