Sientists come up with yet another diet to save the world.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm beginning to think 1984 was a prophecy rather than fiction.
So it is back to the pre-computer days of spy craft or some modern very slick, computerised equivalent. !! 3 steak burgers enters the data stream as 3 corn patties.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
think they are NOT spying on us...:bookworm:

alexa, hey google, cortana..all ring a bell...add in the IoT..and we are better covered then winston smith ever was..;)

(tinfoil hats free in basement area of forum.
i put mine a few years back, never regretted it.:D)
Still wearing my tin hat, as is my cat lol

I cannot eat nuts and seeds either, for digestive trouble reasons.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The answer I think is better health care and the reduction of mortality rates especially the mortality rates of children. People in the underdeveloped world tend to have large numbers of children to ensure at least some will survive to take care of them in their later years reducing the mortality rates by better health care would quite possibly reduce that need for large families.
Lets remember that in large parts of the world, women have no control of either their sexual activity or contraception, for various reasons.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe building and stocking an air raid shelter is not a bad idea. Until the food runs out .....

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A group of 37 scientists from around the world were brought together as part of the EAT-Lancet commission.

"
Scientists have been trying to figure out how we are going to feed billions more people in the decades to come.
Their answer - "the planetary health diet" - does not completely banish meat and dairy.
But it requires an enormous shift in what we pile onto our plates and turning to foods that we barely eat."

"
What changes am I going to have to make?

If you eat meat every day then this is the first biggie. For red meat you're looking at a burger a week or a large steak a month and that's your lot.
You can still have a couple of portions of fish and the same of chicken a week, but plants are where the rest of your protein will need to come from.
The researchers are recommending nuts and a good helping of legumes (that's beans, chickpeas and lentils) every day instead.
There's also a major push on all fruit and veg, which should be make up half of every plate of food we eat.
Although there's a cull on "starchy vegetables" such as the humble potato or cassava which is widely eaten in Africa."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46865204

https://eatforum.org/eat-lancet-commission/

I am not giving up my bacon and eggs no matter what.

We already eat like that because my daugther is a vegetarian , but we eat lots of eggs , did they mention eggs at all ?
But it is a lot of carbs for a type 2

BloodThirsty

I’m sure I read somewhere that actually the rate of population increase is set to decline? Certainly it’s estimated that for the first time in recorded history, parents are expected to live longer than their offspring. Some might say that this is in no small part due to the dietary catastrophe that was imposed on the world forty years ago. What difference is reframing the same diet going to make other than making more money?...
I understand that there is a strong correlation between child birth and social affluence.

In my day (here we go again) many mothers didn't work, things were tight and (paradoxically) more kids.

All changed in the 60s when wives started working and families could afford such luxuries as holidays and the latest appliances.

Loads of kids? You've gotta be kidding.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I remember thinking it was harsh at the time. Their population would be even bigger if they hadn't had a one child policy. I don't know what the answer is. Blade runner scenario?

Rollerball (1975) on a MASSIVE Scale..???

if you've seen the ending, does feel rather like LC-HF, rather then Johnathan, Johnathan..;)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that there is a strong correlation between child birth and social affluence.

In my day (here we go again) many mothers didn't work, things were tight and (paradoxically) more kids.

All changed in the 60s when wives started working and families could afford such luxuries as holidays and the latest appliances.

The change started with the move to equality and effective contraception. Also a woman used to need the permission of her husband to use contraception, or even obtain it. The pill was not widely available even to married women until the mid 60's

Simha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm beginning to think 1984 was a prophecy rather than fiction.
It was a kid's book, compared to real life. Alexa, Google et al are the ones we can still choose not to buy. All the camera's in the street, the mics in supermarkets, your steps and route being tracked via your mobile. It's not a warning story, it's reality. Just by shopping in your local, HQ of your local knows what you buy, how often etc. So...

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MIssion Objective: sell grains. No thanks. I’m not a bird.

As for fruit. Its role in our evolutionary development is to cause temporary insulin resistance so that we can lay down fat during the summer months. Eating more of it all year round is an incredibly bad idea.

Never mind the #eatthemeat I've seen this morning #ImNotABird is WAY better. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i also believe there is a correlation supporting the idea ( of more kids in third world because of poverty etc,)
between, new immigrants and high child numbers first generation, then number normalise to local societies once social benefits ( better education, work prospects,) are absorbed by incoming migrants families.

But do agree with previous post re china's one child policy, it's all very much chaos theory, the simplest most thoughtful process, can and does have unexpected repercussions decades later.

BloodThirsty

The change started with the move to equality and effective contraception. Also a woman used to need the permission of her husband to use contraception, or even obtain it. The pill was not widely available even to married women until the mid 60's
But... similar population trends are happening in Catholic countries where there is no pill (ish).

Equality and progressive thinking surely come with education and affluence.

Just my tuppence worth.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I ate like they recommended I would be on the lav all day and my blood sugars through the roof.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going back to the last war and rationing, , I believe many people kept rabbits for (presumably unrationed !) meat. Certainly as a very young child I vividly remember going to a school friend's house and being shown their "dinner" rabbits who lived in a couple of hutches in their little yard - they apparently fed the inhabitants on tea leaves which presumably didn't affect their flavour! o_Oo_O

So maybe we'd all simply just have to (re)learn how to be a little more self sufficient again - keeping both rabbits and chickens n small spaces where feasible would be another possible source of our meat, and going back to regularly eating more parts of our animals and birds, e.g. offal, would mean less wastage.

Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Lets remember that in large parts of the world, women have no control of either their sexual activity or contraception, for various reasons.
Yes and one of the reasons is the need for large families hence the need for better health care and family planning together with education allowing women to take back control of how many children they want to have and their bodies as a right rather than a privilege granted by men.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rationing worked in WW2 and afterwards for several years. I envisage a similar plan.
Yes you are right I was a child during WW2 and fresh meat was really only once week in a small family with only a couple of rations books I was an only child so my mother only had two ration books and that meant really small portions of everything We did eat a lot of powdered egg and corned beef and vegetables were the biggest part of the main meal but we were all healthy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sugar and tobacco were also rationed, severely, during the war. You can't compare apples and oranges.