1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sientists come up with yet another diet to save the world.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by JohnEGreen, Jan 17, 2019.

1. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

A group of 37 scientists from around the world were brought together as part of the EAT-Lancet commission.

"
    Scientists have been trying to figure out how we are going to feed billions more people in the decades to come.
    Their answer - "the planetary health diet" - does not completely banish meat and dairy.
    But it requires an enormous shift in what we pile onto our plates and turning to foods that we barely eat."

"
    What changes am I going to have to make?

If you eat meat every day then this is the first biggie. For red meat you're looking at a burger a week or a large steak a month and that's your lot.
    You can still have a couple of portions of fish and the same of chicken a week, but plants are where the rest of your protein will need to come from.
    The researchers are recommending nuts and a good helping of legumes (that's beans, chickpeas and lentils) every day instead.
    There's also a major push on all fruit and veg, which should be make up half of every plate of food we eat.
    Although there's a cull on "starchy vegetables" such as the humble potato or cassava which is widely eaten in Africa."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46865204

https://eatforum.org/eat-lancet-commission/

I am not giving up my bacon and eggs no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 JohnEGreen, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @johngreen, It is an avoidable fact that raising cattle and other animals for meat is quite inefficient compared to plants in terms of land usage. That has not stopped scientists looking at protein sources such as fried crickets and the like and the production of protein from fungal sources, (where are all these on the above scientists lists)?
    Considering that some zoos are no longer giving their animals fruit to eat because the increasing sweetness of cultivars is causing dental problems in animals, I am not keen on having fruit in increased amounts.
    I envisage tall city buildings partly shrouded with vertical gardens as a space saving measure as well as perhaps a way to save on temperature control in buildings. Time to build or renovate to allow roof top gardens.
    Oh, be a love and pick some basil off the window sill plant please !! The local swimming pool have been turned into an aquaculture centre so we are having the fish from there tonight.!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

MIssion Objective: sell grains. No thanks. I’m not a bird.

As for fruit. Its role in our evolutionary development is to cause temporary insulin resistance so that we can lay down fat during the summer months. Eating more of it all year round is an incredibly bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Come to think of it, is this not just the exact same fad diet that we’ve had shoved down our throats since 1980? I’m struggling to see any meaningful difference. To me it just seems like the typical high carbohydrate nonsense. Considering we already know that we’re in the grip of a metabolic meltdown, by what mechanism is it now going to save 11 million lives?

Answers on a postcard to PO BOX: woteva.

:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

As my youngest would say 'Nah! I'm not feelin' it'.

As a person with T2 I have yet to find a legume that I can tolerate, nuts I can have but sparingly and the only fruit I have is a small amount of berries occasionaly. Take away meat and where do I find protein? I dislike seafood of any kind. Would you have me take a highly processed protein powder, y'know, that stuff made in factories that use fossil fuels that spew pollution into the atmosphere.... oh wait...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dare I suggest an attempt to reverse the increase in population sizes?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

Although I must admit it does say:

"Although there's a cull on "starchy vegetables" such as the humble potato or cassava which is widely eaten in Africa."

Says nought about pasta or rice unless they are included in the above"

8. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm not feelin' it... :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. BloodThirsty

BloodThirsty · Well-Known Member

The Chinese have tried it with their one child policy resulting in an aging population and serious future economic repercussions. They are now actively encouraging people to have more children to redress this error.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

How would they police this 'one steak per month' stuff? Ration Cards? Pfft!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jim Lahey

I’m sure I read somewhere that actually the rate of population increase is set to decline? Certainly it’s estimated that for the first time in recorded history, parents are expected to live longer than their offspring. Some might say that this is in no small part due to the dietary catastrophe that was imposed on the world forty years ago. What difference is reframing the same diet going to make other than making more money?...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember thinking it was harsh at the time. Their population would be even bigger if they hadn't had a one child policy. I don't know what the answer is. Blade runner scenario?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Nope the Springmann "Meat Tax" so only the super rich (like the people supporting "Eat-Lancet") can afford to eat it regularly...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JohnEGreen

The answer I think is better health care and the reduction of mortality rates especially the mortality rates of children. People in the underdeveloped world tend to have large numbers of children to ensure at least some will survive to take care of them in their later years reducing the mortality rates by better health care would quite possibly reduce that need for large families.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Inchindown

Inchindown Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time for some Soylent Green.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

17. Bubbsie

Bubbsie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interestingly John according to the journalist covering this ' the plan is so strict two out of three commission members introducing the diet at a briefing in London yesterday said they were not currently sticking to it.'...in addition Dr Richard Horton editor in chief freely admitted "“I’m close, but I have two eggs for breakfast every morning, so I’m already having too many eggs"...lead the way why not?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

think they are NOT spying on us...:bookworm:

alexa, hey google, cortana..all ring a bell...add in the IoT..and we are better covered then winston smith ever was..;)

(tinfoil hats free in basement area of forum.
    i put mine a few years back, never regretted it.:D)

19. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I'm beginning to think 1984 was a prophecy rather than fiction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think this diet is suitable for the majority on this planet, but have filled in the comments box on the BBC website, stating my nutritional needs and the consequences, to me and many fellow type 2 diabetics, if we followed this diet.

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook