Freestyle Libre Patches available from Superdrug Pharmacy - £35

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I know people are having trouble getting hold of the Libre patches, but I popped into the Superdrug near my work which has a small pharmacy inside and asked if they are able to get hold of them. The pharmacist wrote down some details and said she would call me once she had some info. I got a call that afternoon and she said, yes no problem I can order them for you, they are £35 ex VAT and £42 Inc. VAT. 2 days later I got call and picked them up this afternoon. Just had to answer a couple of questions regarding the VAT part which they fill in and now I have 2 patches ready for when I need them at a bargain price! The pharmacist said to just give them a couple of days notice and they can get them in again for me. Happy days!
b6b4c7651b3a296a6e3102c67b31b77f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Bluerose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know people are having trouble getting hold of the Libre patches, but I popped into the Superdrug near my work which has a small pharmacy inside and asked if they are able to get hold of them. The pharmacist wrote down some details and said she would call me once she had some info. I got a call that afternoon and she said, yes no problem I can order them for you, they are £35 ex VAT and £42 Inc. VAT. 2 days later I got call and picked them up this afternoon. Just had to answer a couple of questions regarding the VAT part which they fill in and now I have 2 patches ready for when I need them at a bargain price! The pharmacist said to just give them a couple of days notice and they can get them in again for me. Happy days!
b6b4c7651b3a296a6e3102c67b31b77f.jpg

Hi.

Please can you tell me what Superdrug store you got them from ?

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi, I got mine from the Superdrug store in Old Broad Street, London.

Reactions: Glen2405

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I git mine from a different Suprdrug. From what the pharmacist told me it seems like a memo feom SD head office has been sent to SD pharmacists clarifying price of £35 etc

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi.

Please can you tell me what Superdrug store you got them from ?
Hi, I got mine from the Superdrug store in Old Broad Street, London.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been speaking on the telephone to a local Superdrug, who say they can order two sensors for me, maybe by tomorrow. For VAT exemption they want to see evidence, eg a Metformin box, that I take a med for diabetes. This is contrary to Superdrug policy, which is to get people to fill in a form, but showing a box will in my case be much simpler, so I'm not arguing. IMO anyone not in possession of a Metformin box or similar, could still print off the forms and email from Superdrug and take them in.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to ask at the local one on by my work in Paddington.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to ask at the local one on by my work in Paddington.
I have now bought 2 sensors from Superdrug for £70, and taken out one of their Health and Beauty loyalty cards, so earning myself 70p in points. Boots are more generous with their points, but at present it looks as if they are also charging more for the sensors.

Reactions: Glen2405

Glen2405

I finally managed to get Libre on my prescription; however, my pharmacy could not get them through their wholesaler and therefore could not fulfil my prescription. I spoke to Abbott and they gave me the attached document to provide to my pharmacy to order them direct through Abbott. The pharmacy have set up an account and have now successfully ordered them.

Attachments

• Freestyle Libre Pharmacy Ordering Portal.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 2,636

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Tried to find a pharmacy near me but the Superdrug site is being awkward.
On this PC it just says that geolocation is not available. No GPS so why should it be?
Tried the phone and website stayed blank.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tried to find a pharmacy near me but the Superdrug site is being awkward.
On this PC it just says that geolocation is not available. No GPS so why should it be?
Tried the phone and website stayed blank.
Have you tried Googling "Superdrug"+ the name of your town? I think that's what I did.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Googling "Superdrug"+ the name of your town? I think that's what I did.

Alexandra100 - I just wanted to point out that for VAT exemption you need to be diabetic. That you are taking Metformin doesn't ncessarily make you diabetic. As I am sure you are aware, Metformin can be prescribed for a number of conditions.

As you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, I would urge you to check out the legal standing of your actions, if you intend to repeat the process.

Your conscious is your own, but it is important members realise this about claiming VAT relief.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alexandra100 - I just wanted to point out that for VAT exemption you need to be diabetic. That you are taking Metformin doesn't ncessarily make you diabetic. As I am sure you are aware, Metformin can be prescribed for a number of conditions.

As you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, I would urge you to check out the legal standing of your actions, if you intend to repeat the process.

Your conscious is your own, but it is important members realise this about claiming VAT relief.
Here is the relevant Gov.UK Guidance on this matter.:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/reliefs-from-vat-for-disabled-and-older-people-notice-7017#customer
In particular:
"3.2 Supplies to disabled people
You can only zero rate supplies to disabled people when the person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’"
I did discuss this with my GP and she considered that I am indeed chronically sick. I think that by this she means that I am never going to get better. (I don't think the statement, "I reversed my diabetes" would say anything to her, and anyway it is obviously never going to apply to me, as my numbers are getting worse, not better.) Both GP and pharmacist are happy that I meet the requirement. Needless to say I am happy too. It is hard enough to have to buy all my own testing supplies, even though I am well over the age for free prescriptions. BTW my GP did prescribe the highest possible dose of Glucophage for me in the hopes of lowering my bgs, not for any other reason.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is the relevant Gov.UK Guidance on this matter.:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/reliefs-from-vat-for-disabled-and-older-people-notice-7017#customer
In particular:
"3.2 Supplies to disabled people
You can only zero rate supplies to disabled people when the person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’"
I did discuss this with my GP and she considered that I am indeed chronically sick. I think that by this she means that I am never going to get better. (I don't think the statement, "I reversed my diabetes" would say anything to her, and anyway it is obviously never going to apply to me, as my numbers are getting worse, not better.) Both GP and pharmacist are happy that I meet the requirement. Needless to say I am happy too. It is hard enough to have to buy all my own testing supplies, even though I am well over the age for free prescriptions. BTW my GP did prescribe the highest possible dose of Glucophage for me in the hopes of lowering my bgs, not for any other reason.

Alexandra, I clearly have no idea what other conditions you might have been diagnosed with, but as you have confirmed several times, you have never breached UK diagnostic thresholds for diabetes, so why an reference to it is a red herring.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I know where the Superdrug in my town is.

However it isn't a dispensing chemist - just a shop.

I need to know the nearest location of a dispensing branch.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know where the Superdrug in my town is.

However it isn't a dispensing chemist - just a shop.

I need to know the nearest location of a dispensing branch.
LittleGreyCat, the Superdrug oline store locator allows you to filter by services, including pharmacy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Carlton1512 ,

How are you getting on with the Libre? I notice this thread is about 9 months old?
Can the sensors still be sourced at Superdrug at that price?

I managed to get hold of a sensor the other week & popped mine on yesterday. Just giving it till this afternoon before I set up the activation side. It just so happened I had a compatable (tried & road tested.) NFC phone.
Mine was from ASDA. A little more pricey than yours. :banghead::)

Reactions: XxTinkerxx