Hello! I've just been diagnosed with T2 any advice welcome.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I've just got back from seeing a nurse and been diagnosed with T2. I had blood tests before Christmas and was given an appointment so I knew I was diabetic even before diagnosis. So I joined this sight and been lurking about for a while, reading up on stuff etc and I'm so glad I did as the nurse was rubbish. I just have to cut out sweet stuff apparently. No mention of carbs what so ever, in fact she couldn't understand why I'm a diabetic as I'm only slightly over weight . There is a family history of T2 diabetes
Luckily at this stage my blood pressure and cholesterol are fine and so are my liver and kidneys.
Anyway, I've been trying to do the lchf and I walk a lot due to the work I do so getting exercise
My Hba1c level is quite high at 95 and atm I'm on diet only but the nurse said ill have to work hard to get my levels down with it being so high.
I want to get a meter so I can keep a close eye on my blood, so my question is can anyone recommend a good meter or point me in the right direction please?
I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I go along
Tia
Sarah ☺

Last edited:

Jenny3108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 as well. My surgery gave me a meter and I get the needles and testing strips as well all on NHS. My reading this morning was 9.9. Try the fast800 diet, you could soon lose weight and reverse your diabetes. I lost 3lbs this week doing this. Good luck.

T2_2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Welcome to the forums that have helped me get my Hba1c down from 143 to 37 in just over 6 months. Great to hear you have considered lchf and getting a meter, these were the two key things for me to start to get control. I remember after diagnosis that there was so much information it was quite overwhelming, but you are definitely in the right place to get things going in the right direction. Daisy's pack is a great place to start, it will be along shortly...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so my question is can anyone recommend a good meter or point me in the right direction please?

Hi Sarah,

There are numerous meters out there, some with different features, but ultimately it is the cost of the strips that will be your main concern.

You can pick up a meter free from many manufacturers, but often the strips that fit them are more expensive.

Personally I use an AccuChek Mobile, which uses cassettes rather than individual strips, for me it's less fiddly but the cassettes are quite expensive on a per test basis.

Many on here use the Sd Codefree meter, which you have to buy but the strips are cheap, although sometimes not as accurate as you might wish. There are special codes where you can buy in bulk at a discount. I am sure someone like @Bluetit1802 will be along soon with the codes to use.

Good luck, this is the best place to be for help and support.

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 as well. My surgery gave me a meter and I get the needles and testing strips as well all on NHS. My reading this morning was 9.9. Try the fast800 diet, you could soon lose weight and reverse your diabetes. I lost 3lbs this week doing this. Good luck.
What is the fast800 diet?
That's brilliant that you was given a meter and get the testing strips on the NHS I've been offered nothing, just my luck lol

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sarah,

There are numerous meters out there, some with different features, but ultimately it is the cost of the strips that will be your main concern.

You can pick up a meter free from many manufacturers, but often the strips that fit them are more expensive.

Personally I use an AccuChek Mobile, which uses cassettes rather than individual strips, for me it's less fiddly but the cassettes are quite expensive on a per test basis.

Many on here use the Sd Codefree meter, which you have to buy but the strips are cheap, although sometimes not as accurate as you might wish. There are special codes where you can buy in bulk at a discount. I am sure someone like @Bluetit1802 will be along soon with the codes to use.

Good luck, this is the best place to be for help and support.

Thank you I'll have a look at the meters and see what I prefer

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I've just got back from seeing a nurse and been diagnosed with T2. I had blood tests before Christmas and was given an appointment so I knew I was diabetic even before diagnosis. So I joined this sight and been lurking about for a while, reading up on stuff etc and I'm so glad I did as the nurse was rubbish. I just have to cut out sweet stuff apparently. No mention of carbs what so ever, in fact she couldn't understand why I'm a diabetic as I'm only slightly over weight . There is a family history of T2 diabetes
Luckily at this stage my blood pressure and cholesterol are fine and so are my liver and kidneys.
Anyway, I've been trying to do the lchf and I walk a lot due to the work I do so getting exercise
My Hba1c level is quite high at 95 and atm I'm on diet only but the nurse said ill have to work hard to get my levels down with it being so high.
I want to get a meter so I can keep a close eye on my blood, so my question is can anyone recommend a good meter or point me in the right direction please?
I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I go along
Tia
Sarah ☺
Hi Sarah, and welcome,

Good on you for wanting to get a meter. Saw you already got the appropriate link, and already seem to know more than your nurse. As for low carb/high fat... You are going to blow her away with your next HbA1c. ;) Really. If you're going low carb, she's not going to believe the results. Mine didn't. Started out with meds that didn't agree with me, found out about low carb, and have been in the non-diabetic range ever since. So it can certainly be done. You're well on your way. If there's anything we can do to help, feel free!
Again, welcome!
Jo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Someone beat me to it. I would just like to add that I also use the Accu Chek Mobile because it is very convenient and easier to use, and gives consistent readings

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sarah, and welcome,

Good on you for wanting to get a meter. Saw you already got the appropriate link, and already seem to know more than your nurse. As for low carb/high fat... You are going to blow her away with your next HbA1c. ;) Really. If you're going low carb, she's not going to believe the results. Mine didn't. Started out with meds that didn't agree with me, found out about low carb, and have been in the non-diabetic range ever since. So it can certainly be done. You're well on your way. If there's anything we can do to help, feel free!
Again, welcome!
Jo
Well done for getting to the non-diabetic stage. That is where I plan to be eventually

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i've been offered nothing, just my luck lol

Same as the majority of us @Starfish18 .

Hi and welcome.
You are in the best place now,
somewhere others share your dreams and goals of lowering and managing their diabetes as well as possible.

Meters a great start, a decent choice available, I went sd codefree after reading up, but all will be better then nothing.

800 diet, sounds similar to the ND (Newcastle diet .) that features 800 calories.

For my money, you'd be better off reading up on LCHF, and perhaps finding a way with that, that works for you.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as the majority of us @Starfish18 .

Hi and welcome.
You are in the best place now,
somewhere others share your dreams and goals of lowering and managing their diabetes as well as possible.

Meters a great start, a decent choice available, I went sd codefree after reading up, but all will be better then nothing.

800 diet, sounds similar to the ND (Newcastle diet .) that features 800 calories.

For my money, you'd be better off reading up on LCHF, and perhaps finding a way with that, that works for you.
Hello and thanks for the welcome. I am starting to follow the Lchf slowly getting my head around it.
I'll take a look at the sd codefree meter thank you

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... you could soon lose weight and reverse your diabetes. I lost 3lbs this week doing this

Hi Jenny, and well done for the weight loss.

As for ''reversing'...a lot of discussion about what that actually means.

For me, T2D is an intolerance to carbs at its most basic.

You can cure or reverse it, I suppose just like someone with a nut allergy can cure or reverse their illness by Not Eating nuts.
But it's not really a cure.

For T2D, no matter how well you manage your diet or lower your HBA1c, you can never go back to your old way of eating whatever food you fancy, sadly.

However, you'll see plenty of posts about how many manage to adapt and live pretty much normally, without returning to their old habits of eating higher carbs.

Do look around and as @JoKalsbeek says, ask questions.

it's a daunting task understanding all that diabetes entails, but believe me, there are many on here, able and willing to guide you every step of the way, on your journey.

Jenny3108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is the fast800 diet?
That's brilliant that you was given a meter and get the testing strips on the NHS I've been offered nothing, just my luck lol
fast800 is a book by Dr Moseley, he tells you everything you need to know about Diabetes. Gives loads of recipes. I have two healthy shakes a day from Boots, not the Cambridge ones as they are full of sugar, and a main meal early evening. 800 is the calories you stick to during the day. I must say I’m not finding it difficult to follow.
Just cut out the bread and sugary stuff.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Starfish18
Hello Sarah and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At least one in five people with T2 diabetes are not significantly overweight at first diagnosis - and this can be much higher for some ethnic groups.

As you have already concluded, you need to find a management strategy that works out best for you, and the only way to find out if it is doing so requires a meter. You have already had suggestions towards lower carb and lower calorie approaches, and to some extent these overlap. They do all require a large degree of discipline though.

Don't worry too much about the highness of the HbA1c at diagnosis at 95 mmol/mol and concentrate on the dietary changes (exercise at a moderate level also helps most people). I can only offer my own experience of being diagnosed at 107 mmol/mol and after 4 months it being in the mid-30s where it has remained ever since.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least one in five people with T2 diabetes are not significantly overweight at first diagnosis - and this can be much higher for some ethnic groups.

As you have already concluded, you need to find a management strategy that works out best for you, and the only way to find out if it is doing so requires a meter. You have already had suggestions towards lower carb and lower calorie approaches, and to some extent these overlap. They do all require a large degree of discipline though.

Don't worry too much about the highness of the HbA1c at diagnosis at 95 mmol/mol and concentrate on the dietary changes (exercise at a moderate level also helps most people). I can only offer my own experience of being diagnosed at 107 mmol/mol and after 4 months it being in the mid-30s where it has remained ever since.
Wow that's amazing, mine was 105 in November and I have been lchf since then so hope my result is as good as yours :)